IGNORED

XM and games demonstration at Replay UK

GroovyBee

As you may have seen on the latest update to the XM status page I'll be demoing the XM and games at the Replay Expo 2011 held in Blackpool in the UK on the weekend of the 5th/6th of November. The XM mandatory games will be Apple Snaffle, Halloween, Monster! and Fruitarian. Unfortunately Dungeon! won't be demoed because its custom cart hardware won't be ready in time and the game isn't CC2 compatible.

There may also be a further two unannounced XM mandatory mystery games. However, these are optional at the moment and depend on the amount of development time required to get them into a reasonable state before the show.

The XM and its games will be on the Oldschool Gaming homebrew stand organised by TMR.

If any other 7800/2600 coders have PAL versions of their homebrew games they'd like to demo let me know.

I'll be updating this thread with more information as we get closer to the show.

• Like 6

Its a one button game. Because the homebrew stand is multi-platform with C64, A8, Spectrum and 7800 (maybe other machines too) everything has to be on multi-carts (or their equivalent) at TMR's request. That way nothing is left lying around while things are swapped out. If I get enough time (not looking likely at the moment :() my Intellivision and CC3 will be there demoing too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm off to Replay in a while. Things haven't quite gone to plan with demoing the 2600 games because I've had to go back several revisions of XM BIOS :(. I'm hoping its something easy to fix and I can demo them on Sunday. I'd like to thank everybody who has worked with me on the games including Espire8, PAC-MAN-RED, nonner242 and sh3-rg for graphics, miker and sack-c0s for music and DracIsBack and HammR25 for beta testing and finally the biggest thanks to Curt for making it all possible.

• Like 1

Back from the show. People were blown away by the XM's design, the look and feel of the plastics and how well it compliments the original console. The most often heard comment about my games and demos on display was along the lines of "I didn't know the 7800 could do that!" :D. The Yamaha YM2151 audio demo really took a few by surprise too :lol:.

I have videos and photos of the XM in action. The audio isn't brilliant on the videos so it doesn't do everything justice. The room was packed with a variety of consoles and computers making all manner of noises as well as people talking and the noise from the main hall across the corridor. Its been a long day (and the same tomorrow) so I'll be sorting everything out later..

• Like 2

Finally... Great sounding music for the 7800... :D Did you use a custom made music program or just a music driver/player? That's what I'm waiting on is a good music sequencer for the 2151 chip.

Custom. The data originally came from MAME (not ripped by me). I just wrote an analyser to strip the information needed and then a 6502 driver for the 7800.

• Like 1

The most often heard comment about my games and demos on display was along the lines of "I didn't know the 7800 could do that!" :D.

As you have made very clear the 7800 CAN'T "do that" without the XM module. That sounds alot like someone seeing a SEGA 32X for the first time and thinking the software was running

on a stock GENESIS which as we all know is also impossible.