IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Aquaricart: The Aquarius Album Cartridge

jaybird3rd

• 6 months later...

Hi Jaybird, I've purchased your combo pack 32k and Aquaricart and looking forward to it making its way over to Bonnie Scotland. Question I have is I notice in Johns video there is an option to use a 1541 OS ROM ? what is that as it sounds like a Commodore disk drive ? I'd like to be able to load games/utils etc via some card of SD card, would that be something you are working on for a future hack of the little system ?

regards Bob 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, starfrog said:

Hi Jaybird, I've purchased your combo pack 32k and Aquaricart and looking forward to it making its way over to Bonnie Scotland. Question I have is I notice in Johns video there is an option to use a 1541 OS ROM ? what is that as it sounds like a Commodore disk drive ? I'd like to be able to load games/utils etc via some card of SD card, would that be something you are working on for a future hack of the little system ?

regards Bob 

Not jay but there’s someone on eBay UK who frequently sells custom “micro expanders”. They allow you to use a USB drive with the Aquarius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starfrog said:

regards Bob

Welcome to AtariAge, and thank you very much for your purchase!  I hope you enjoy using your new modules.

The "1541 OS ROM" was a bonus addition to the Aquaricart collection.  It is a version of BASIC with added extensions for a Commodore 1541 disk drive interface; the interface was a cartridge with the disk controller and BASIC built in.  As I recall, the interface was a prototype, and of course the disk-related commands will not function in the absence of the controller.  I included it with the Aquaricart because it added other useful features—a debugger, commands to fill the screen with color, etc.—which BASIC programmers might find useful.

As EdgeOfPortal points out, the "micro expander" is a hobbyist peripheral which includes a USB interface for using flash media; there is an integrated controller chip in the expander which handles the filesystem and the USB protocol.  Bruce Abbott developed it a few years ago, and others have been making and selling boards based on his design as a DIY kit on eBay—however, I believe these include only the board, without any other parts or assembly.  I have a few ideas of my own for a new storage solution, or at least a way to easily transfer files to/from a modern PC, but like many of my personal projects, this idea has had to wait on the back burner for a long time.  I hope to finally change that this summer ...

Thanks for the quick reply and interesting to hear about other possibilities but think if anyone is going to come up with a very clean and user friendly method of using a SDcard or USB then its going to be you that does it. I'll sit patiently while you ponder how you can do this and look forward to supporting you .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starfrog said:

Thanks for the quick reply and interesting to hear about other possibilities but think if anyone is going to come up with a very clean and user friendly method of using a SDcard or USB then its going to be you that does it. I'll sit patiently while you ponder how you can do this and look forward to supporting you .

Thank you!  I've got a few other projects in the queue first—specifically my new Aquarius website, which I'm working on now and hope to have finished soon—but I'll keep everyone posted!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...