IGNORED

Adventures of the 50-foot-tall Stalk of Celery

atari2600land

It's a side-scrolling Mario-type game where you can move left or right. This is the beginning, a test to see whether I could do this, so I guess i can, so I'm going to continue. Right now, I'm working on level 1, which is the bridge level. Watch out because there are gaps in the bridge. I haven't programmed this game very far, so there's not a lot to do, but this will change as I add in enemies and make more of the level.

50celery1.bas.bin

50celery1.bas

Removed the option to go left. It was maddening me to no end to make it the way I wanted it (I'm a perfectionist) and figured that it wasn't really necessary, so it got axed. In return, scrolling is much more smoother now when going right. I don't know what I could do about adding another bank, right now if I make it 8k and just put the vblank in the second bank, it needs more cycles for some reason. Anyone want to look at the code and modify it to make it 8k and figure that out? I'll try again once the first bank has been filled. I also added a timer, so when the level is done being programmed, you have 99 seconds to complete it and 3 lives.

50celery3.bas.bin

50celery3.bas

You could have the main engine duplicated per bank. Or, at least the draw screen routine. I kind of liked the Super Mario 2 style where you could move left and right. But Super Mario 1 style is still quite impressive. I could see someone turing your left & right scrolling code into a Metriod or Heros of the Lance inspired game.

I made it more like SMB1 where when you start (actually I played a bit of Super Mario Land to get a feel for how I want the game to scroll right), you go to the center of the screen to make the game go right. You can go left, but only to the left edge of the screen. I'm just wondering how long to make the level so it can be completed in less than 99 seconds. I'm thinking maybe 30 screens long (right now it's at 9) because I can get to the end of this with about 75 seconds left on the clock. And the pigs are faster, so you might need to go left and jump over to avoid them (because collision detection on the pigs has been activated.) What do you think?

50celery5.bas.bin

50celery5.bas

post-9475-0-04160100-1318946634_thumb.png

Atari2600Land,

Nice side scroller! I think it would be cool to add the ability to let the player move left and right a bit before the scrolling kicks in.

Ah, I see you have this implemented already in the version with the tune, I just had to make the character back up a bit for it to kick in - nice game, the tune adds to the playability too!

Added a new thing: Items! The first item is a moldy pretzel (continuing with the foods that taste like cardboard theme.) If you nab it, you'll be granted invisibility from those pigs for ten seconds (although you can still fall in a hole and die.) For the longest time I had trouble making the scanline count be a stable 262, but I think I did it this time. Thanks for the kind words thus far.

50celery7.bas.bin

post-9475-0-49762000-1319074416.png

Edited by atari2600land

Well, level 1 is completed. An even 32 screens (even, at least in computer talk), so it should be finishable with about 1 or 2 seconds on the clock, the time limit I put on the level is 67 seconds. Let me know if I need to change that. Also, to end the level, you touch the second item, called, oddly enough, the ender. Touching this will end the level. I'd like to make the level longer, but I need to leave room for an impressive title screen, which I have about 650 bytes left in the bank before I need to move on and try to make the cycle count be OK with more than one bank (I still don't understand why it would be different with two banks instead of one.) Level 2 will be a mud pit. And you know how much pigs like mud, but first I need to create a title screen. Any ideas on what it should do? Anyway, I was wondering, could I use the title screen kernel and still have missile1 be free to use? (I made the celery missile1 in case you haven't figured it out yet. This is why everything that is player1 green.)

50celery8.bas.bin

50celery8.bas

post-9475-0-95273800-1319118436.png

• Like 1

Well, after fiddling around with the code for a few more hours, I think I finally have an 8k version. Please tell me if there are any bugs. I know, the music has been sped up. Please tell me if you like it or if I should slow it down. In the quest of making this 8k, I somehow altered the way the pigs move, so I have changed the time limit to 70 seconds to accomodate this unwanted change. Anyway, here it is.

50celery9.bas.bin

50celery9.bas

• 5 weeks later...

I'm jumping from project to project, I know. This time, it's the celery's turn. Level 2 is a hole where the object is to go down deeper into it. I've always wanted to make a Mario-type game level where the object is to fall down to the bottom of a hole. I guess kind of like the Sunken Ghost Ship level part in Super Mario World where Mario keeps falling. Sometimes the score jumps around a pixel or so, but I checked and the scanline remains steady at 262, which is odd and I don't know why. After hours of fighting with this stupid thing, I finally got a working playable version of level 2. There isn't very much I've done yet, and so he'll forever be falling once you get past where I stopped working on it. And I'm going to add some enemies in, too, like bats.

50celery11.bas.bin