IGNORED

Adventures of the 50-foot-tall Stalk of Celery

atari2600land

• 5 months later...

I'm back working on this again. I've optimized the code so it works (for the most part) on a real 2600. You'll notice some changes in levels 1 & 3, that the bridges (and land) are not connected. This is due to it shaking up and down on a real Atari 2600. It does this a lot less the way I've made it this way for some strange (and stupid) reason that I don't know. Level 3 is the same as level 1 because they share the same code, lncuding the land getting part. In the end, Level 3 will have a different layout than level 1. And, if someone would be so nice as to draw me a penguin, that'd be nice.

50celery28.bas.bin

Not great. But, a penguin!

I'm not seeing it, it does look like a hedgehog walking to the right though to me.

Yeah, it's a pretty lame penguin. I found it really hard to do one in 8x8 single color pixels. I hoped the color would make it look more "arctic". Maybe adding a frame of animation where the penguin flaps his wing up would help too. PAC-MAN-RED needs to read this thread :)

Edited by theloon

That be a good penguin. I tend to make more Nintendo looking sprites. You know: cutesy, chibi kinda stuff. Your version looks more realistic. Plus, I bet making it single color wont hurt it a bit (if needed).

Glad you like it. I think your attempt would make a better chick than a penguin in my opinion. It looks more like a chick to me.

• 3 years later...

After almost 4 years of dormancy, I've decided to bring this project back from the dead. It's alive! The reason: I needed a pig for another project, and somewhere in my mind, I knew I had a pig sprite used somewhere. This is the game I remembered that has it. So I've decided to bring the game back to life while I was at it. I fixed a few bugs, and tested on a real Harmony cart. After solving the shaky screen problem, I present version 29. The game is supposed to end at the end of level 2, level 3 stuff is preliminary and uses the old level 1 layout, which I'll change. The game begins with a blank, black screen, so don't figure it doesn't work, just press fire to start the game. I'm hoping someone can put in a title screen and work their magic, a title screen like Stay Frosty 2, only not moving. Or moving, if they want to and there's enough room.

50celery29.bas.bin

• Like 1

Not exactly, level 3 isn't completed yet.

I noticed it was still quite jumpy in some places in level 2. That and the jumping code wasn't working right, so I changed the layout of level 2, and in the process, made it longer. The celery in level 1 now matches his height in level 2. I saw he was longer in level 1 and thought it was weird. So it is barely jumpy at all on real hardware. Unless someone spots a bug, I think I'll finally start work on level 3 next.

50celery31a.bas.bin

• Like 1

This version starts on level 3, which is a cloud level. Once completed, it will go back to the title screen and level 3 again. I had a bit of trouble with the life counter but I think I solved it. I'm wondering what to make level 4. I know the last level will be the pig castle.

50celery32a.bas.bin

• Like 1