IGNORED

Adventures of the 50-foot-tall Stalk of Celery

atari2600land

Fixed those bugs chavert reported on. Level 6 is now in the game, but it has the same layout as a previous level. This of course will change. This takes place in a giant toilet that someone forgot to flush. Mister Celery is walking on poop floating on pee. In the bowl with him are ants. Why ants? They have been invading my bathroom lately, so I figured they might as well invade this one too. I looked up the PAL colors, and figured that this would mostly be black and white for chavert. This is what it would look like in NTSC:

post-9475-0-13031700-1458098273_thumb.png

I also fixed a bug pertaining to the colors in levels 1 and 3. The top was all messed up in Stella. This has been fixed.

Also, please note that this is now a 32k game. It doesn't need to be at the moment, I'm just planning for the near future.

50celery44.bas.bin

• Like 1

A case of too much info, I guess. I doubled the code from levels 1 & 3 from bank1 and put it in bank4 and made it level 6. I guess that code can only handle information and program changing for only 2 levels. Tell me if this doesn't work or jumps. I tested it and it shouldn't.

50celery45.bas.bin

• Like 1

Since the download page is in my signature (at least for now), go to the website to get the further updates. I went back and made level 2 longer, and a bit easier by not connecting the ledges to the sides. Connecting the ledges to the sides made a weird visual thing happen every time one passed that was connected to the side. Having unconnected it, it disappeared.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I am going back to work on this. I think I have made it so the screen doesn't jump on every level but 2. It jumped a few times to 263 scanlines in Stella, but since I had played it on a real Atari 2600 and didn't notice it, I don't know. Anyway, here is the latest version.

Level 7 will be a final battle between a giant pig. I have 147 bytes left in bank 8 where all the sprite info is stored, but banks 5, 6 and 7 are completely empty.

50celery51.bas.bin

• Like 2

I worked some more on this last night and today. I was up until 1 a.m. working on this game. I think I solved every instance where the game goes to 263 scanlines except if you die or go back to the title screen (which sometimes goes as high as 270) before going back down.to 262. As a result, there is only one extra life on level 3 instead of 2. Yes, the game is so tightly packed that even one mention of another sprite location messes up the scanline count. I also think level 2 scrolls by smoother. Another thing I worked on.

50celery53.bas.bin

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I spent all afternoon trying to make it so that you can move the other direction in level 2 when you're falling next to a ledge. As it turned out, all I needed to do was move a drawscreen. Argh! Made my eye hurt for that?! I also moved some code around and freed up a lot of space in bank 8 for the seventh level. I thought data statements automatically went into the 8th bank. I moved them to the seventh one and it freed up a lot of room in bank 8, so I guess not. I need to think up of a setting for level 7, then I will work on it. Don't forget in this test code, you can skip to any level at the title screen by moving the joystick right. The number at the bottom is the level you'll start at.

50celery56.bas.bin

• Like 1

Stage 7 will take place in a big bowl of spaghetti. You can choose stage 7 at the title screen now. Since I just started work on it, stage 7 has the same layout as stage 6. This will change. I'll also be adding music. I'd like to add the famous Italian piece of music that's used in cartoons and stuff to indicate it's Italy, but I don't know what it's called. Does anyone here know the name of it?

50celery58.bas.bin

Fixed a few things:

+ made it so when you die, you don't start off again for a frame as a thin, white strip. This happened sometimes.

+ added the ability to duck. There are restrictions: You can't duck in stages 2 & 5. I put these in place because bugs happened if you decided to duck in these stages.

+ changed the molten rock sprite in stage 4 to a swirling fireball sprite. It was too similar to the rolling meatball in stage 7.

50celery59.bas.bin

• 1 year later...

Worked on this some more. Added a final boss fight for level 8. Although if you defeat the boss pig, nothing happens because I need to put in an ending. I also redid the scrolling so I think it's way better to play now than it used to be. I tested this using my Harmony cart and all is well so far.

50celery63.bin

• Like 3