IGNORED

possible Colecovision power supply replacement

Toraborakid

Why look for an replacement external ps when there are still so many original CV bricks that are available and work? Plus there is the issue of the proprietary connector that is no longer manufactured. Personally, I prefer an internal power supply to replace the brick.

post-5757-0-82740200-1318981558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 3

Sorry here is the link my bad. its the 35a model i was looking at.

http://www.meanwell....-35/default.htm

One thing to keep in mind and I am saying this with complete sincerity.

Since this plugs into the wall and is a possible electrocution hazard, be extremely careful please. I take safety very serious and only sell untampered with original power supplies and do not offer internal power supply mods. I think Ikrananka's internal mod is cool, but told him of my safety concerns.

Again this is not meant with any disrespect but if you need to ask for advice if the power supply will work or not, that leads me to believe you know almost nothing about electricity and should not buy one.

There is a NOS boxed one being sold on Ebay, I bought 3 of these awhile back because I thought the fact that they where NOS and came sealed in box was cool. I recommend you buy one of these and forget the replacement power supply thing.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2508792635921?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250879263592&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Sorry here is the link my bad. its the 35a model i was looking at.

http://www.meanwell....-35/default.htm

One thing to keep in mind and I am saying this with complete sincerity.

Since this plugs into the wall and is a possible electrocution hazard, be extremely careful please. I take safety very serious and only sell untampered with original power supplies and do not offer internal power supply mods. I think Ikrananka's internal mod is cool, but told him of my safety concerns.

Again this is not meant with any disrespect but if you need to ask for advice if the power supply will work or not, that leads me to believe you know almost nothing about electricity and should not buy one.

There is a NOS boxed one being sold on Ebay, I bought 3 of these awhile back because I thought the fact that they where NOS and came sealed in box was cool. I recommend you buy one of these and forget the replacement power supply thing.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2508792635921?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250879263592&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

No insult taken, but thanks for the warning ..

anyway, when i was looking at that it does look like it will work but before i attempt it its always good to get a 2nd opinion..and thats why i posted this in the first place..

i do have some professional electrical experience, but when it comes to electronics, i could use some boning up on..

It's vexing to me that there are no Real solutions to the coleco power suppy question that does not en-tale modding of any kind...

Why cant we find someone to run off a few hundred of a new coleco power supply's that have a real good build quality and a long MTBF

i for one would pay a good chunk of change for one.

Edited by Toraborakid

I get nervous when I read about people messing with AC (alternating current). If you understand the dangers then, by all means proceed.

I say buy the 35-A in the .pdf that pops when your link is clicked. You will still need the end off the original power supply for a plug, unless you plan to hack the jack on a CV. Also make sure you connect the CV plug to the correct voltages on the power supply, would be a shame to fry a CV.

Let us know how it works please.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I can do the internal power supply mod.

my cost (no mark up) of parts are only:

$40 for the internal power supply

$10 for the switch & receptacle

plus a little shipping.

and a little labor for myself to do the mod.

I can also fit the same power supply into the

stock power brick if you want to keep original.

and the power supplies i'm looking at are higher

rated on current so they should not get very hot.

the coleco brick ratings:

5volt .9amp

-5volt .1amp

12volt .3amp

the replacement power supply ratings:

5volt 5amp

-5volt .5amp

12volt 2.5amp

so you can see the rating are 5x higher, so it should

run cool and last a long time.

and measurements are 4L x 2W x 1.06H

which is well inside the inner diameter of

the brick supply. just have to figure out

how to mount it in the brick itself.

I don't know if it's cost effective or not.

you have to pay shipping both ways.

brick mod would be about $70 + return shipping

coleco mod would be about $100 + return shipping

I can even rebuild brick power supplies, as I am a

component level repair technician. and have been

doing repair work for 25+ years. started in a commodore 64

warranty repair center in 1988. so I'm pretty sure of my

skills.

but I'm pretty sure cost of parts & labor would be around $70-80

because I'd have to increase labor because it would take longer

to repair then just replacing the guts with a new, cleaner signal,

switching power supply.

return shipping would be like $13 or so, whatever a medium or large

flat rate box is going for these days. the brick will fit in a medium box

and the coleco will fit in the large box.

so what do you think?

should I offer my services or do you think it's to much?

or should I just start buying coleco systems and sell them already

modded?

heck if i'm going to do all this work why don't I just offer

up all the mod's you read about?

I'm also doing controller cable straightening and going to do

the ball mod for the sticks getting rid of that darn disc.

• Like 1

Looks like Colecovisions take +5V, -5V, and +12V. Why not adapt an ATX power supply?

why would you want a big ugly grey pc brick laying on the outside of the case.

and then the time to make the correct connections. then if it's an atx power supply

you have to know which wire's to jump to make the power supply think you activated

the on off switch. better luck with an old at power supply with an on off switch.

atx power supply - not as easy as you think for a novice. even if you buy an atx supply

with a switch the power supply won't turn on unless you short 2 wire's together to force

it to an on state then you can turn it on and off with the switch.

you could also buy an arcade power supply, but you would still have the ugly old wires

hanging out of the console. and I don't think they even have a switch on most of them.

yes I worked for an arcade vending outfit for 4 years repairing all their games and

jukeboxes.

• 3 weeks later...

There's plenty of power supplies out there that output the 5 and the 12 volts, so than wouldn't you only need an additional regulator for the -5v like a L7905 or something similar in parallel with the 12v output line?

i think most atx psu's only have a very weak -5v, not sure it will work?

Most newer ATX Power Supply's do not supply the -5v line anymore. If I remember right, it was used for the serial ports on computers.

On my internal Coleco ADAM Power supply, I used a mini-ITX power supply from an Antec ISK-300 and a 7905 to supply -5v from the -12v line. Worked a treat, untill I upgraded to +5v Video Memory.