IGNORED

List of Atari Lynx Arcade conversions

Darran@Retro Gamer

I'm aiming to individually highlight each released arcade conversion for the Lynx and want to make sure I haven't missed any out.

A.P.B.

Block Out

Checkered Flag

Double Dragon

Hard Drivin’

Hydra

Joust

KLAX

MS Pac-Man

Ninja Gaiden

Pac-Land

Paperboy

Pit-Fighter

Qix

Raiden

Rampage

Rampart

Roadblasters

Robotron 2084

Rygar

S.T.U.N. Runner

Steel Talons

Super Off-Road

Toki

Tournament Cyberball

Xenophobe

Xybots

I'm not sure if the following 2 sports games are actual ports.

Hockey?

NFL Football?

Shanghai?

Also I noticed that there is a Shanghai arcade game, but again, am not sure this is a port.

Super Asteroids?

Not including this as they are enhanced versions

Turbo Sub

Again there is a Turbo Sub arcade game, but it looks like a different game

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Crumbs Mr Retro gamer.....are you people still going, have'nt seen a single issue distributed in c. london in AGES (i.e TCR/Oxford street and so on)

Last issue i remember buying was when it was still published by the orig. publisher and it did a DPS on the 5200

(DPS=double page spread)

Crumbs Mr Retro gamer.....are you people still going, have'nt seen a single issue distributed in c. london in AGES (i.e TCR/Oxford street and so on)

Last issue i remember buying was when it was still published by the orig. publisher and it did a DPS on the 5200

(DPS=double page spread)

We are still going, winning awards and selling very well thanks :)

We're normally in Smiths

Checkered Flag was a Lynx original title that was ported to Jaguar later. It only shares a name with two other versions (Arcade and ZX Spectrum). Shanghai was a port of the then-popular PC/Mac title. Hockey and NFL Football are original titles.

I just wonder how you'd handle Battlezone 2000 though, since it started life as a new game, then was made to look more like the original arcade game with the new updates hidden as an easter egg. Might be safest to toss it with Super Asteroids/Missile Command in "enhanced" not a 100% port. Same with Rampage come to think of it, since it added a fourth character not in the arcade original, and wasn't called Rampage (when coded originally under Epyx) until Atari was able to license the name.

Oh, and you have to include Pinball Jam, the machines were real arcade pinball machines. Elvira and the Party Monsters and Police Force were both released in 1989 under the Midway and Williams names respectively (both part of WMS).

Edited by JohnBuell

Shanghai?

Also I noticed that there is a Shanghai arcade game, but again, am not sure this is a port.

Shanghai was a Mahjong game [the first one I got addicted to as a matter of fact] and not based on any coin op as far as I know.

Turbo Sub

Turbo Sub was definitely not an arcade port. Ed Schneider worked on that at Atari with Steve Ryno (designer) , Craig Ericson (producer) Bob Nagel (Artist), Rob Mariani(Aritist) while I was working on Toki. I don't recall if that was the EXACT team but they all were there and I *think* they worked on it.

Shanghai?

Shanghai was a Mahjong game [the first one I got addicted to as a matter of fact] and not based on any coin op as far as I know.

Turbo Sub

Turbo Sub was definitely not an arcade port. Ed Schneider worked on that at Atari with Steve Ryno (designer) , Craig Ericson (producer) Bob Nagel (Artist), Rob Mariani(Aritist) while I was working on Toki. I don't recall if that was the EXACT team but they all were there and I *think* they worked on it.

Thank you :)

Well that's the list done. I'm not going to include Battlezone as it's not the original game. I'm doing the same for Super Asteroids and Super Missile Command, I'm not covering Pinball Jam in detail either. I'm also ignoring unreleased games (although all the above will be included within the feature). Thanks for the help I've received though, it's been really useful.

Edited by Darran@Retro Gamer

• 1 month later...

This issue came out a few days ago, at least for USA subscribers. That means it should hit USA stores in another week or two. The article, of course, is great. It's 8 pages long (!) and focuses on Lynx arcade conversions with lots of interesting recollections on the part of the game developers.

Compliments Darran on the article. Picked up the Retro Gamer Magazine in The Netherlands a week and a half ago. Loved the article. The in-depth coverage and journalistic approach is a warm alternative to a lot of the pulp that is out there.

My only advice: more of these kinds of articles, preferrably on the Lynx! This is only the third Lynx article that I know of in the history of RGM. And each begs for more. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you enjoyed the feature. I'm more than happy to put more Lynx coverage in the magazine, and have wanted to do a piece on homebrew projects for quite some time. Unfortunately barriers have been in the way in the past, but we might be able to get something sorted in the new year.

I've been a homebrew Lynx developer on and off for about a decade, am the author of this

and the other Lynx (and the Freescape, Acorn Electron and Sam Coupe projects also shown on that YouTube account) and have three years of professional experience as a writer/editor. Is there anything I can do to help? I'm completely financially stable so I'm not fishing for a commission. Edited by ThomH

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm aiming to individually highlight each released arcade conversion for the Lynx and want to make sure I haven't missed any out.

A.P.B.

Block Out

Checkered Flag

Double Dragon

Hard Drivin’

Hydra

Joust

KLAX

MS Pac-Man

Ninja Gaiden

Pac-Land

Paperboy

Pit-Fighter

Qix

Raiden

Rampage

Rampart

Roadblasters

Robotron 2084

Rygar

S.T.U.N. Runner

Steel Talons

Super Off-Road

Toki

Tournament Cyberball

Xenophobe

Xybots

I'm not sure if the following 2 sports games are actual ports.

Hockey?

NFL Football?

Shanghai?

Super Asteroids?

Not including this as they are enhanced versions

Turbo Sub

Any advice greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

hard drivn on the lynx could,ve be better by tweaking the engine to run and control a bit more smoother,but what really bugs me,is why dit they only had put one level in this version?? they could,ve easily put all 3 levels into it,what a quite shame,even the snes,gameboy and genesis version has all the levels included,i was thinking howabout an howbrew rompatch update for it?