IGNORED

8-bit Cartridge Label Project

Atari8bitCarts

I'm currently looking to archive labels for Cartridges (I see the diskette image topic). My hope is to build a library of these cartridge labels for distribution as needed. I intend on creating a website.

I'm in need of high resolution/clean images for the Atari 8-bit carts. Right off does anybody have:

- HES Gridrunner's label

- Atari The Learning Phone

Thanx.

• Like 2

Take a look at this topic

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161828-hooked-on-8-bit-carts/

and this website

http://www.pitfalljones.com/0800-low.htm

Gridrunner http://www.pitfalljones.com/0800-cartpic-big/gridrunner.jpg

Learning Phone http://www.pitfalljones.com/0800-cartpic-big/learningphonethe.jpg

Not specifically just the label as these are pictures of the whole carts, but might save you some time :)

Funny, no, not to just make fake carts. At some point these carts and mostly their labels will no longer make it. 30+ years is a long time to ask. Most glue is failing now. We should capture these now why we can. There is no way to 100% produce remakes, and I note mine :) But if an existing original cart needs a label, it should get one :)

Edited by chrislynn5
  • Like 1

why would I support this! making fake carts will devalue the huge collection I've acquired! Someday when I'm in a wheelchair and can no longer use a joystick I plan on selling my carts :D

I also like pitfall jones site but it's incomplete maybe you should enhance that site by creating a complete collection instead of making fake carts.

This is NOT making fake carts. I am not making boards, chips, cases, etc. Please let's move past this. :_(

I do have carts that need labels, and no I do not sell them as original. I note every label I make.

But agian, this is about archiving our labels. They will NOT last when we are old.

And yes, I am an avid supportor of "keep our carts original". If you know me, I don't buy copies, i.e. KJman without wanting to know they are copies and if I do it would be for fun (just to play a game).

Pitfall Jones is awsome, and I've contributed to some of the images. I use it for my personal mission to make a "live" version of it soon :) But the images are not the best, etc. And yes, I would consider his site being the definitive source. It should be :-D

30 year old glue can not be expected to make it much longer :skull:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx, it seems like Gridrunner's label wasn't meant for 30+ years :) I see more of those carts, all original, missing the label. The glue must have been really poor on that one. Thanx for the images! I hope to have my carts inventoried and photographed here shortly. High Res for pitfall jones.

Edited by chrislynn5

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe ask the developers of the 2600 label maker to develop one that makes Atari 800 labels ???

Maybe if enough people ask they might just give it a try.

If a person/team/company can make a label maker for the 2600 then they have the smarts to make one for the 800. . . . . . .well at least that's what I am thinking.

I don't think it is about smarts persay. But the 2600 carts are pretty much the same style and size. And they typically maintain the same look.

The Atari 8-bit carts from Atari come in a few basic styles, brown with text and silver with text, then the XE style. A person could template those (you might have a good idea). But there are lot more "one-off's" I believe for 8-bits compared to 2600 (I could be wrong). 8-bits only have a few hundred carts acompared to the many of the 2600.

But the original topic wasn't about making labels as much as preserving them as they are. And for carts where they maintain the original chip, board, and shell the labels are falling off and replacement labels are needed. I have "made" a few replacement labels as a "test" but a mark each with a discrete marking to identifiy those. Never stating the label is original. But in my opinion, if everything is original, that is the only way to get a label again.

Edited by chrislynn5

even if some one wanted to use them for fake cartridges, it would cost more that its worth to produce a true replica that would fool people. for those wanting to keep things tidy seem a good idea to be able to have a back up of a tatty original label, I have one cartridge that is almost impossible to read the label its that tatty, and as it does not have a box , the label would be useful to have, though I doubt I would ever bother to stick it onto the cartridge.

I was thinking the same. My point is that if your in the business to "make" repro's it wouldn't just be the label that you are making. It's probably an Atarimax cart with software on it, or recycled chips and boards slapped into a reused housing. I believe that if the cart is original, yet the label couldn't survive 25+ years then making a replacement label isn't a bad thing. But I also believe that it should be marked and communicated that it is a repro-label.

Here is my example. I have two original Jawbreaker carts, one missing the label. I've almost got the paper (gloss and semi) and colors down to remake almost any label. But the copy has a distinguishable mark, etc.

post-27608-0-11472700-1322621422_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrislynn5

I was thinking the same. My point is that if your in the business to "make" repro's it wouldn't just be the label that you are making. It's probably an Atarimax cart with software on it, or recycled chips and boards slapped into a reused housing. I believe that if the cart is original, yet the label couldn't survive 25+ years then making a replacement label isn't a bad thing. But I also believe that it should be marked and communicated that it is a repro-label.

Here is my example. I have two original Jawbreaker carts, one missing the label. I've almost got the paper (gloss and semi) and colors down to remake almost any label. But the copy has a distinguishable mark, etc.

it's pretty easy to tell the fake from the original...but I guess if you don't plan to re-sell it's ok :)

I guess if you don't plan to re-sell it's ok

This what i am talking about if your cart needs a label then use a label maker to make one as long as you know it is a fake label but you will also know what game it is.

I am not saying to use a label maker to fool people or to make $$$ buy saying it is the original label as that would be foolish.

Hi qix_maniac can you post a pic of those carts ???

I disagree, slightly. I'm not looking to slap an avery label on my cart with hand written indentifier on it. I'm looking to reproduce the label. This occurs in EVERY other collectible market. Look at collectible gas station pumps, they get refrubished and have signs/decals made since they are no longer available. That is what we called "restored" back to original condition. Why are carts any different? The label isn't the only thing that "makes" the cart. A clean housing is very important, without marks and dents, etc. and the chip must be the original chip and board in my opinion. Restoration is an art form in and of itself. People take pride in it.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I disagree, slightly. I'm not looking to slap an avery label on my cart with hand written indentifier on it. I'm looking to reproduce the label. This occurs in EVERY other collectible market. Look at collectible gas station pumps, they get refrubished and have signs/decals made since they are no longer available. That is what we called "restored" back to original condition. Why are carts any different? The label isn't the only thing that "makes" the cart. A clean housing is very important, without marks and dents, etc. and the chip must be the original chip and board in my opinion. Restoration is an art form in and of itself. People take pride in it.

The post was brought back from the dead.

Just to clarify, making new labels, boxes, and housings is fine, as long as it is identified. Today;s processes and products are superior to that of the 1980's. It's much easier to recreate something that can easily be passed off as an original.

I see that occurring now heavily in the 2600 market.

• 2 months later...

with the help of a abbuc german member I could Identify the Fonts used for the 1st atari 400/800 Labels

Title (STAR RAIDERS II) Font: Salzburg-Bold

Computer Games: Font: Salzburg-Regular

USE WITH JOYSTICK CONTROLLERS: Font: Salzburg-Bold

Atari CXL4029: Font: HammerFat

StarRaidersIILabelDesign_darker.png

Have Fun

• Like 9