IGNORED

Really good games?

Yurkie

Hmm.. I'll list off some favorites I really enjoyed, all basically action games. This is just a really small list though, there are so many fun Genesis games I could theoretically list:

Mega Turrican, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Risky Woods, Contra: Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, X-Men 2: Clone Wars, Streets of Rage 2, Lightening Force (Thunder Force IV), MUSHA, Splatterhouse 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: the Hyperstone Heist, Sub Terrania, Vectorman, Out Run, etc., etc.

Below are my top picks...BOLD titles are so awesome I cannot control myself.

Target Earth

Ranger X

Mega Turrican

Gunstar Heroes

Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Rocket Knight Adventures

Sol-Deace

Shinobi III

Contra: Hard Corps

Castlevania Bloodlines

Streets of Rage 2

Red Zone

Adventures of Batman & Robin

Lightening Force

Dune

MUSHA

Shining Force 2

Tyrants

Rolling Thunder 2

Sub Terrania

• Like 1

Genesis does that.

I'm a bit slower-paced myself these days.

Fatal Labyrinth, has become my favorite genesis game. Great roguelike that makes dying and restarting easy and efficient.

Starflight, space exploration goodness--very similar to Star Control 2 (but without any of the star control bits)

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. Give this one a longer look--the first 2 missions are not an indication of how awesome this game is.

Dune, really captures that early RTS magic.

For a little faster one (possibly because of using NTSC machine), Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96--the best of all the Micro Machines games, but euro-only. It even has a track editor.

I really consider most of the 'traditional' genesis AAA titles to be fair to good at best.

Edited by Reaperman

If you want something a little slower paced, try Starflight. Classic 8-bit space RPG updated for the Genesis. The combat is real time, but you can mostly avoid it until you're beefy enough to handle anything easily. Lots of exploration, resource collection, and a great plot. Get a copy with the manual, it's the thickest manual I've seen on a Genesis game and it's filled with backstory and clues.

Oh, I see Reaperman beat me to it. Consider this a strong second.

You can't go wrong with the Road Rash series. My favorite is the 2nd but they're all very well done and a lot of fun

I wish they would make a Road Rash 4.....bringing back Motorcylce racing and weapons galore on the new consoles!

Love that series!

Overall my favorite genesis games were the RPG games.....you name it and it was a goodie....Phantasy star series....SHining Force series......Landstalker.....Shadowrun!

Try them out for kicks!

I wish they would make a Road Rash 4.....bringing back Motorcylce racing and weapons galore on the new consoles!

Love that series!

Can you shoot in Road Rash?

Don't think so. Also, there was a fourth Road Rash on the 3DO that kinda fills the Road Rash 4 spot.

If you want something a bit more leisurely, there are some Disney games that are beautifully crafted and fun to play. World of Illusion is probably my favorite of the bunch -- it's mostly very easy, but can be played through in three different ways, so it has decent replay value. Gorgeous music, especially near the end.

OTOH, Castle of Illusion (the earlier game of the two) gets a lot of praise, but personally I didn't like it that much. Too many cheap hits from offscreen enemies. Fantasia is terrible, but I actually liked Ariel: The Little Mermaid.

I'm also fond of the Wolf Team games like El Viento, Granada, Sol-Deace, and Earnest Evans. The latter is kind of a mess, but it's an entertaining mess IMHO. Granada is probably the "objectively" best of those four games -- it's an easy 9/10, and a great free-scrolling shooter.

I'm just going to glance over at my Genesis shelves and list out everything I think is awesome. Chances are, most of them have been mentioned already, but I don't want to be tainted by reading other peoples' lists.

Ghouls N' Ghosts

Phantasy Star II-IV

Golden Axe I + II

Sonic 1-3

Sports Talk Baseball

Kid Chameleon

Arnold Palmer's Tournament Golf

Super Monaco GP I + II

The Revenge of Shinobi

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Ecco the Dolphin

Streets of Rage I + II (and Bare Knuckle III)

Pirates! Gold

Castlevania Bloodlines

Shinobi III

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

Starflight

John Madden Football '93

Insector X

Chiki Chiki Boys

Ms. Pac-Man

Street Fighter II

Fire Shark

Phelios

Flashback

PGA Tour Golf I - III and European Tour

NHL 94 and 97

Truxton

Toejam & Earl

Sunset Riders

Valis III

Splatterhouse III

That's all I've got to say right now.

Chris

Some great ones listed there, great thread guys! I consider myself a true Genesis guy and to be fairly knowledgeable, but I hadn't heard recommendations for several of these that I'm now trying out and really enjoying.

Some others that I would add to / second the motion if they're mentioned above:

Rock and Roll Racing (early Blizzard game, hilarious midi versions of Black Sabbath and Deep Purple)

Death and Return of Superman (also an early Blizzard game, you get to play as Steel and Super Boy on some stages)

Dragon's Fury (pinball port from TG-16, completely awesome)

Tiny Toons Acme All-Stars (features maybe the best basketball game ever)

Skeleton Krew

Monopoly

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Championship Pro-Am

Road Blasters (very near arcade perfection)

Adventures of Batman & Robin

Castlevania: Bloodlines

Golden Axe 1 and 2

Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3

Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

Of what's already been mentioned, my favorites among them are Lightening Force, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Dragon's Fury, Pirates! Gold, and Starflight for something nice and relaxing. (The rest of what's mentioned are just a half-notch barely below my favorites list, are simply not my style or I haven't played yet.)

Of what hasn't been mentioned yet:

Herzog Zwei - Action/Strategy hybrid. Brutal Legend's stage battles tried to be this game, but failed.

General Chaos - Fast-paced, small-scale RTS where losing a battle doesn't mean the end of the war. No bases or economies, just 5-man squads and medics!

Mutant League Football: - Conventional American football, but with lots of blood, nasty plays, ref bribes and DEATH!

Mutant League Hockey - Think Mutant League Football but with hockey instead of football.

Terry Glanville's Pigskin Footbrawl - Cartoonish vikings playing pigskin. Said to be more like rugby. Is this why the game never stops?

Love that series!

Can you shoot in Road Rash?

No shooting, but you can steal melee weapons from other bikers. (Club and chain in Road Rash II, lots more in III.)

I would be grateful for game suggestions, of really fun Sega Genesis titles. It can be a list or just your favorite.

As mentioned on a few lists, Gunstar Heroes, Earthworm Jim, and Raiden Trad are a few of my favorites.

There were some good early titles, Buster Douglas boxing and Cyberball were good arcade ports. The graphical style of Buster Douglas was well done, and translated nicely to the home system.

Great shooters:

Gaiares

Thunder Force series

Insector X

MUSHA

Truxton

Gunstar Heroes

Phelios

Space Harrier II

Great platformers:

Strider

X-Men