IGNORED

Favorite Genesis Shoot 'em Ups (Shmups)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZf6xVDxIK0

Drunken Master Paul joins me again this week to discover our Favorite Sega Genesis Shoot 'Em Up game (shmup) on the system. This involves beer, multiple arcade sticks and a willingness to kill, destroy and blow stuff up real good. Hell, let's throw an a cappella Bon Jovi song in there for good measure!

Oh yeah, and the "Seaman" comment is a running joke, as I am playing that game right now on the Dreamcast… and he makes fun of me. The Bastard.

• Like 5

Good vid! I love shmup's but I'm never really that good at them. Of the ones reviewed, I have Truxton and Thunder Force II. Truxton is pretty fun, but as mentioned, difficult. (And yeah, the Satan bomb is a plus!) Thunder Force II is not as good, in my opinion, as Thunder Force III. But that's probably because the overhead, go anywhere stages give me trouble and TF III doesn't have those. I do like me some Raiden, too. But I don't have Raiden Trad for the Genesis, I have Raiden for the TurboGrafx. I liked that you mentioned Tiger Heli, as it does remind me of that game. However, Twin Cobra looks even more like a straight graphical upgrade to Tiger Heli if only because of the helicopter theme.

I'd love to see one of these multiple shmup review vids for the TG-16 if you have one and several shmup's. The Turbo seems to have a big reputation as a shmup lover's machine, given how prevalent the genre is in the TurboGrafx library.

I'd love to see one of these multiple shmup review vids for the TG-16 if you have one and several shmup's. The Turbo seems to have a big reputation as a shmup lover's machine, given how prevalent the genre is in the TurboGrafx library.

I've heard that about the TG-16, and I recently had an opportunity to add that console to my collection, but...it was a bit beyond my budget. Still, that's a great idea and I'd love to do it sometime in the future! There's another opportunity to do a SNES version of this as well, since that console had it's own shmups. Thanks for the comment!

Looks like a fun gaming session - as the beer kept flowing, the dance moves got more elaborate!

I have a small collection of Genesis shmups myself, after watching your vid I feel I need to spend some time with them again. :) By the way, you may not know this (as the gameplay is totally different), but Lightening Force is actually Thunder Force IV. (Thunder Force III is excellent as well).

• Like 1

Great video. How does Raiden Trad compare with Raiden for the Jaguar? If you got it for the Jag that is. I know you did a Jag review but can't remember if you had Raden for it. Worth getting it on the Genesis if you already have it on the Jag?

I played a bunch of Raiden on the Jaguar for that retrospective, and gameplay and graphically the game is very similar and lots of fun. The only problem I had was with the Jag controller. That d-pad/thumbpad is way to shallow to control the ship accurately and smoothly. The Genesis arcade stick is the way to go!

Those Genesis arcade sticks look rad, I've never played with one of those before but that definitely seems a slick way to enjoy a Genesis shmup. I strongly support the love for Bio Hazard Battle in this video - the co-op, the multiple crafts to choose from with their varied weaponry/handling and the squelchy mutant vibe of the music & graphics are altogether cool and unique.

Edited by Drixxel

Those Genesis arcade sticks look rad, I've never played with one of those before but that definitely seems a slick way to enjoy a Genesis shmup. I strongly support the love for Bio Hazard Battle in this video - the co-op, the multiple crafts to choose from with their varied weaponry/handling and the squelchy mutant vibe of the music & graphics are altogether cool and unique.

Bio-Hazard Battle is the surprise game in this group. It looks like it would be completely generic and cheap, but it's really well made, looks great and very fun!

I won't lie, Sub Terrania is my favorite. Awesome graphics, beautiful music, and hard-but-fun, buttery smooth gameplay.

Sub Terrania isn't a shoot 'em up (shmup). But I agree, it is awesome. One of my favorites on the system, period.

Really? I guess it's more of an adventure/action kind of game, but it certainly involves a lone spaceship shooting at aliens.

...then again, with that logic, Descent could be considered a shmup too.

I won't lie, Sub Terrania is my favorite. Awesome graphics, beautiful music, and hard-but-fun, buttery smooth gameplay.

Sub Terrania isn't a shoot 'em up (shmup). But I agree, it is awesome. One of my favorites on the system, period.

Really? I guess it's more of an adventure/action kind of game, but it certainly involves a lone spaceship shooting at aliens.

Not sure what it would qualify as, there is certainly a LOT of shooting in that game! There is also a fair amount of stategy as well. Awesome game, loved it since I first played in on the Sega Channel back in '94, bought it on clearance a couple of years later.

Back in the day when you could walk into a Walmart and pick up one, I purchased my Genesis and the game I picked up with it was Hellfire. I played that game for a long time before playing the Sonic 1 pack-in. Then it was Gaiares, Thunder Force series, etc. The addiction became obvious. Over the years one game that has emerged and become the most played has been Bio Hazard Battle. The whole atmosphere of that game is so good, just love it.

What WOULD we call subterrania? It's a gravity mechanic game, first and foremost. Like.. what's the atari one? Is that what solaris is? Thrust, I believe, and there's a few on the NES, again I forget the names. Not a mechanic I enjoy. Probably a fairly common game type on older computers, I don't know them well enough. But it's shootier than most gravity games, and certainly prettier. Still, I don't enjoy it.

What WOULD we call subterrania? It's a gravity mechanic game, first and foremost. Like.. what's the atari one? Is that what solaris is? Thrust, I believe, and there's a few on the NES, again I forget the names. Not a mechanic I enjoy. Probably a fairly common game type on older computers, I don't know them well enough. But it's shootier than most gravity games, and certainly prettier. Still, I don't enjoy it.

You're thinking of Gravitar, I think. Solar Jetman is the one I know on the NES. If the genre doesn't have a name, "gravity game" will work! There are the Lunar Lander-style cousins and so on.

Maybe "strategy-action-shooter"? I don't know. It's definitely not a shmup. The game is mission-oriented first and foremost. But that leads me to the next quote..

What WOULD we call subterrania? It's a gravity mechanic game, first and foremost. Like.. what's the atari one? Is that what solaris is? Thrust, I believe, and there's a few on the NES, again I forget the names.

That's a good question. Just about everything in the past has been categorized, but now that I think about it, I can't ever think of hearing anyone categorize a game like Sub Terrania. Or Solar Jetman on the NES. Or Gravitron on the PC. Or.. or.. There's plenty others like them, but you don't hear too many people talking about them.

Not a mechanic I enjoy. Probably a fairly common game type on older computers, I don't know them well enough. But it's shootier than most gravity games, and certainly prettier. Still, I don't enjoy it.

Damn, that's too bad. I understand, though. Sub Terrania is brutal right from the start. Requires a lot of memorization, because the slightest misuse of your fuel will mean instant-death. Likewise with steering wrong and slamming into too many walls. Or failing the mission. Yeah, lots of ways to lose in it. I highly recommend anyone new to the game play it on the easiest setting as the gravity and damage done is much more forgiving. It makes learning the game easier anyway, which is a step to actually enjoying it. It's one of those games though where you learn it bit by bit and get better the more you play (and fail). Completely unlike Solar Jetman in that regard. *shudder*

Edited by Austin

Ah, Gravitar, yes. Wasn't that bad, actually, it was impressive anyway. Solaris is sort of a cockpit shooter.. wait, no, that's radar lock. Eh.Those late-era red label carts don't get much play from me, good as they are. Solar Jetman is indeed the one I was thinking of. Thrust, of course. Anyway, more on topic:

Own and enjoy:

Steel Empire - Truxton - Phelios - Raiden Trad - Gaiares - MUSHA, DUH - elemental master - grindstormer. FIRE SHARK. LOVE fire shark, not a top-shelf title, but just love it.

own and tolerate:

various thunder and light(e)ning forces, subterrania, atomic-robokid, arrow flash

Do not own:

biohazard battle, twin cobra

Awesome video :)

I really wished I lived close to you, I have a bunch of shmups on various systems that could be reviewed, and I do own a TG-16. Its in the garage right now... but I do have one. :) For the best shmups on the TG-16 though, you NEED to get a TG-16 to PC Engine adapter, and get some PC Engine games.

• Like 1