IGNORED

Shooting Stars - game released

sometimes99er

He he! I Love it! I like those sort of "mad thrash" just-shoot-everything type games - you always die in the end, but you have fun until you do!

I think you should clear the screen when you advance to the next level.

For a bonus, how about something that goes across the screen (like the saucer in TI invaders) and if you hit it, the play field scrolls upwards a few lines. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A much nicer version of Column Attack :) Well done.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess basically very much the same concept as Column Attack (1988 Asgard Software). After starting this thread, I saw the Column Attack graphics in the Gamebase project, never played the game though, but looks the same. Other than that, I think my idea was part “Bomb The City” and Atari 2600 Ram It, which I still remember reading about in the early eighties, always thought it might be great action, a bit like maybe Turmoil (which I had for the C64).

:)

Nice work! If you decide to follow Willsy's suggestion about scrolling the field of stars you can do it using VREAD and VWRITE.

10 CALL LINK("VREAD",32,200,A$,232,200,B$,432,208,C$)::CALL LINK("VWRITE",0,A$,200,B$,400,C$)::CALL HCHAR(20,1,32,32)

Thanks, and thanks for the code. Now I actually liked the idea of the field being cleared just before advancing to the next, more frantic level. For now I've chosen to lower the time of a level (from 20 to 15 seconds) and "without clearing the field". This will encourage you to keep the field clear yourself before the next level, I think otherwise you might be "bored" on the first levels, until the phase of action (level) fits your own level (capability).

Seems like sound and timing have suddenly chosen to begin coughing at this end. Maybe it's me, emulator of choice or something else (didn't really change that much).

Here's the more frantic version. Oh, almost forgot to tell you that the base (cannon) now moves at half the speed, making it "much easier" to adjust the base under whatever column of stars you want. XB source included this time. And eh, dropped number of lives too. You're only going to get one chance/life. Hehehe ...

• Like 1

Ha! Love it! I love this type of game! I really like the sounds too! Great job!!!

Thanks again, Uzbeker. ;)

Senselessly blowing up stuff is a nice genre. The short and sweet or get a higher score within a minute genre is also sweet. Usually you can easily get into these games (without reading instructions) and it’s pretty soon "game over", though with some, practice might bring you further. Leave it at that or have another go. A bit of Space Invaders in that. For gameplay I’d have to put TI Invaders above Parsec. Yep, stuck on a desert island, and I'd rather take TI Invaders with me.

Good work! Love the sound effects.

Thanks. More effects including sound coming up.

This game needs a nice title screen and "game over" animation.

I’ll be bringing those in too.

When reaching a new level, change in star patterns or colors would be cool.

I’ll try and think of something. At least a color theme for each level would perhaps be nice and easy.

Could also imagine some kind of object moving horizontally from time to time (for gaining bonus points).

I had this idea of a bomb or more dropping, and you’d have to shoot it (before the bomb reaches the barrels - or you). Maybe a comet traveling sideways. With the relatively rapid fire ability in the game, I guess it should move fast.

Hey your latest revision is brilliant, I got to level 4 on my first attempt .... This is a great arcade game .... I love the graphics & sound especially that explosion :thumbsup:

Thanks. Yeah, guess level 4 is a bit hard to survive as is. Once I get the score and high score added, then “another go” might be more interesting. Another distraction added, and I think I have to increase those 15 seconds per level. Hopefully that will add just a tiny bit more depth to the game - besides a few effects being thrown in here and there.

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What I did was add an intro, a title screen, packaging what was already there, with only a few changes. The game itself is as it were. Getting to level 5 is almost impossible. Guess it’s over and out in a minute or two, and then you might have another go, but then that’s that.

The title screen is not so grand. I had a version with art like my proposal for Dark Star, but then wanted something “new”. As it is, it’s about 10K in all, so plenty of space for something “larger” (limit is about 23K). I might add another title some day. Other than that, it’s good to go, please include in Gamebase.

Edited by sometimes99er

Thanks.

I think it’s unlikely to be brought any further. XB is nice, and the XB Compiler is really nice too. TurboForth is also very fine.

I think I will try and concentrate on what got me going in the first place, the desire to write games in cartridge format. Bare TI-99/4A console, plug in cartridge, and you’ll get a well above average game (all things being relative). That’s like my childhood dream.

Assembler and 8K ROM. I see so many possibilities. Perhaps adding GROM later, when it becomes available (as hardware). I’m emulator only, so I will have to rely on some of you to test before release.

Wow! Finally got to play it. Was 1s away from level 5 on my first try. Can't get there anymore, though.

Definitely a very fun way to pass a few minutes.

Controls are really tough on keyboard / emulation. Makes it harder / more impossible.

Just made level 5!!! Of course I was dead at the start. And, by the time I tried to get a screenshot, it reverted to the title screen. :( You guys won't believe me now.

-H

Edited by unhuman
  • Like 1

Another suggestion - to make the game more playable - perhaps is to have the screen scroll back the # of stars in the level... And, also do that between levels...

So if you're on level 4 to level 5, and about to die... Scroll back 5 when entering level 5. Then, for each death, scroll back again the level #.

That'd make actually beating level 5 a possibility. :)

• Like 2