IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

http://www.urbandict...%20like%20flint

According to this, "In Like Flynn" comes from an Australian preacher named John Flynn who helped to create the Royal Flying Doctor Service, and has nothing to do with Errol Flynn.

To be fair to Americans, they're going to be plenty more familiar with "In Like Flynt" due to the popular 60s American movie with James Coburn.

I've always heard "In like Flynn".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOzTikUdvuU

;)

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 1

According to this, "In Like Flynn" comes from an Australian preacher named John Flynn who helped to create the Royal Flying Doctor Service, and has nothing to do with Errol Flynn.

Well, the source you quote is wrong. Here in Australia, *nobody* uses the phrase in any connotation other than in reference to Errol Flynn. The RFDS association is just wishful thinking.

And I refer you to *most* online references, including this one http://www.straightd...cess-with-women where the etymology is associated with Flynn.

Of particular note are the comments from the 70+ year old people at the end who remember its original use in the 1940s.

I must say, "in like Flynn" is a great name for a game :)

AtariAge and First Star Software, Inc. are hosting a box and label design competition for the recently announced Boulder Dash® Atari 2600 port (see detailed news here)! The winning design will be featured on the game cartridge, the manual, and the box. Plans are to release the AtariAge version of Boulder Dash® in time for Christmas. Now you can be a part of the effort to bring about this highly anticipated release!

The winner of the contest will receive a copy of Boulder Dash® in cartridge form, featuring their winning label design, signed by Andrew, Thomas, Albert, and Richard M. Spitalny (president of First Star Software, Inc.) The winner will also receive a $50 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store. The contest will run until 11:59pm (EST), Sunday, November 20th, 2011 and all submissions must be received by this time! After the contest has ended, AtariAge, First Star Software, Thomas Jentzsch and Andrew Davie will select one of the entries as the label to be used for Boulder Dash®.

Full details about how to enter the contest are here! Good luck, and we look forward to seeing your entries!

Boulder Dash® Label Contest

Please use the following thread to discuss the label contest:

http://www.atariage....-label-contest/

Thanks!

..Al

Al, if you're planning on having these available for Christmas, shouldn't we be getting an official pre-order list going? I can understand the original one not being valid, considering how long it's been. I think I'm not alone though, in not wanting to miss out on this title.

Thanks

Maybe the interest in this thread could show First Star that it would be good to have more than 250 copies? If it is limited it may lead to piracy. If people will find ways to get it anyway it might as well be for sale. In all fairness I don't know why they want that limit. They may have a really good reason but if I were them I would say,"You can sell all you want as long as I get my cut." If I was going to limit it I wouldn't use a number but time. There maybe a lot of people that can't wait to own one and when they first see it has been released they all could have been sold. That would make a bunch of cranky nerds. If it was a time limit like it could only be bought for a few weeks then people won't be racing each other to get them before they are gone.

Maybe the interest in this thread could show First Star that it would be good to have more than 250 copies? If it is limited it may lead to piracy. If people will find ways to get it anyway it might as well be for sale.

I'm sure that 250 will be enough to meet the demand. Not to put too fine a point on it, our agreement is for 250 copies. FSS haven't said "that's all we'll allow!"; it's simply that our agreement covers the sale of 250. So let's not put words into their mouth. You have to realise that the publishers (specifically, Thomas, Al and myself) have to pre-fund all material and production costs, and royalties, before we see a cent in sales. These boards are not cheap. It's a big enough ask for 250 units; more than this we simply could not afford. So, there are several competing aspects to the 250 number, and it's not all about FSS. I doubt that anyone will have to climb over anyone else to get a copy. As to piracy; the chances of pirating the particular cartridge type this game is being made of are slim, as it has multiple levels of protection.

Iggy*SJB' timestamp='1323120631' post='2418954']

I'm getting nervous... and my wife is starting to consider other gifts for me instead of this. I'm holding firm, though. She promised me this, and a blue lightsaber.

It is a tight timeline, yes. But the game is running well on the sample board. There is no programming left to do; simply printing, assembly and ROM burning.

I'd hold firm; it's a fun game to play and worth holding out for.

I'm getting nervous... and my wife is starting to consider other gifts for me instead of this. I'm holding firm, though. She promised me this, and a blue lightsaber.

It is a tight timeline, yes. But the game is running well on the sample board. There is no programming left to do; simply printing, assembly and ROM burning.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm holding firm... no worries there. I think she just wants to make sure she can see my face when I open that up Christmas day. :D