IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

Mine arrived today, can't wait to try it.

I assume it will play in my 7800?

good question, it never hurts just to make sure so ... will it work on a 7800?

When in doubt read the manual. It says Boulder Dash for the 2600/7800 so I would say it should work.

Mine arrived today, can't wait to try it.

I assume it will play in my 7800?

good question, it never hurts just to make sure so ... will it work on a 7800?

When in doubt read the manual. It says Boulder Dash for the 2600/7800 so I would say it should work.

well i do not have a manual to check that, as I dont own the game... yet. so I thought to ask first :grin:

So in all seriousness, what's in the box? Use the spoiler tag if you want, I'm just damn curious. ;)

Me too. It will help me decide if I should buy a copy. I hope it's a photo of Albert in a bikini, hugging a boulder. I mean Albert hugging a boulder, not the bikini. But if the bikini is hugging the boulder, that would mean Albert would be naked, so that's OK too.

I received mine today, too! First off, the packaging is excellent. The pictures in this thread look great but it really hits home when you hold it in your hands and feel the love that went into everything. The box looks great, the manual is well-designed and rich with content, and the cart label has a nice sheen to it (and I appreciate the box insert that holds the cart!). The surprise inside was fun, too. :)

I just played the first three levels and managed to get my last guy stuck so I'm writing this now while the attract mode plays in the background. On that note, I can't believe there was even room in this cart for an attract mode! All in all, great job Andrew and Thomas! The title screen and its music are nice; the game elements are well-rendered, distinct, and with no flicker; and the physics, from what I have played so far, are spot-on. The gameplay feels nice and snappy (I'd love to learn about the queue method used to process the game elements).

Everything about this game is polished to perfection. After playing the demo on my Cuttle Cart 2, having a basic knowledge of the nuances of 2600 programming, and following the development of this game over the past few years, I still cannot believe this game is running on a system designed to play Pong and Combat.

Thank you to Andrew, Thomas, Albert, and everyone involved for bringing this to reality. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A couple of times I noticed a temporary snow effect during gameplay.

That's not a snow effect. The little guy has dandruff. He needs some of this:

http://www.wackypack...ront_small.html

post-13-0-04450100-1340505311_thumb.jpg

And remember kids . . . don't bend your flap!

• Like 3

Received mine today! I really like the manual and the little graphics with quotes of the game creators.

Is there a trick to opening a box without bending the flap? I opened mine from the bottom because it looked like the flap wasn't hooked on the sides as tightly, but it still bent a little in the middle. I'm keeping it slightly open until I've had my fill playing the game.

Me too. It will help me decide if I should buy a copy. I hope it's a photo of Albert in a bikini, hugging a boulder. I mean Albert hugging a boulder, not the bikini. But if the bikini is hugging the boulder, that would mean Albert would be naked, so that's OK too.

One of the surprises might be "jewels," but not family jewels. ;)

• Like 1

Mine was delivered today as well. Truly gorgeous. The many many many hours of work put into this project is appreciated by myself and many others here. A heartfelt thanks to all of you that were involved in making this possible.

I opened mine by using a flat skewer under the flap, and moved it so it would release the tab, worked great!

Then I smoothed out the larger item, and kept the baggies sealed with Texas air.

And kept the original fingerprints intact in case of investigation.

I received mine today, too! First off, the packaging is excellent. The pictures in this thread look great but it really hits home when you hold it in your hands and feel the love that went into everything. The box looks great, the manual is well-designed and rich with content, and the cart label has a nice sheen to it (and I appreciate the box insert that holds the cart!). The surprise inside was fun, too. :)

I just played the first three levels and managed to get my last guy stuck so I'm writing this now while the attract mode plays in the background. On that note, I can't believe there was even room in this cart for an attract mode! All in all, great job Andrew and Thomas! The title screen and its music are nice; the game elements are well-rendered, distinct, and with no flicker; and the physics, from what I have played so far, are spot-on. The gameplay feels nice and snappy (I'd love to learn about the queue method used to process the game elements).

Everything about this game is polished to perfection. After playing the demo on my Cuttle Cart 2, having a basic knowledge of the nuances of 2600 programming, and following the development of this game over the past few years, I still cannot believe this game is running on a system designed to play Pong and Combat.

Thank you to Andrew, Thomas, Albert, and everyone involved for bringing this to reality. :thumbsup:

I second that motion. I couldn't have put it any better myself. :)

Looks and plays great!

One question, tho.

A couple of times I noticed a temporary snow effect during gameplay.

Is that normal?

See page 4 of the manual about earning extra Lives. I believe that's probably what you're seeing.

That's it exactly! Guess I should have read the manual first.

Nevertheless, good to post it here so if others see the same thing, they don't get creeped out. :)

-John

That's it exactly! Guess I should have read the manual first.

Nevertheless, good to post it here so if others see the same thing, they don't get creeped out. :)

That's the best we could do to mimic the same effect on the original.

I remember that back then I initially didn't knew what it was meant to be too. So I suppose we succeeded. :)

I still cannot believe this game is running on a system designed to play Pong and Combat.

Well said! I received mine on Saturday and played it today. Astounding! Would love to get Joe Decuir's take on this. Likely he could not have imagined so much innovation would be possible when he was involved in the design of the 2600. Commendations and thanks to all involved!

This release "feels" a lot like late 1983 to early 1984, when competition ramped up because of all the companies joining the Atari market. I can remember being very impressed with late releases from reputable companies like Subterranea from Imagic and Pitfall 2 from Activision. What's especailly impressive about Boulder Dash is the quality and attention to detail, not just in the gameplay and graphics, but the title screen, the music, the manual complete with the whole background story, the box (of course), First Star's involvement and support, not to mention Albert's pack-ins. I'd like to hope this could be a springboard for similar projects, not unlike 2010's Turbo, or Star Castle coming this July, though I can't imagine anyone wanting to work as long and as hard as Andrew and Thomas did on this project.

As a point of contrast, here is the manual for Boing!, the only 2600 release by First Star back in the day (please feel free to add this to the database, Albert):

post-118-0-89912100-1340658732_thumb.jpg post-118-0-40861800-1340658745_thumb.jpg

There's certainly nothing WRONG with this manual, but I think Boulder Dash demonstrates how passion for the hobby puts artistic success ahead of commercial success in terms of quality and end-user value. It sets a good example for all of us to follow.

Nicely done, Gentlemen!

Well, I got one copy today, and of course, that's the one I opened. I've recorded a video that I'm going to put on my website, that shows everything included. Of course, there's a spot where I say "If you don't want to know what's in the box, stop this video, and go on to the gameplay video" that I'm going to record later. I need a little time to process the video before I put it up, but it should be up before tomorrow.

• Like 2