IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

Al, does the 5% subscriber discount apply to this game? This is my first order from the store since becoming a subscriber, and I'm not sure whether I should expect to see a discount in my cart (I'm not at the moment).

I'm wondering the same. I paid already because I'm worried it will sell out but there was no discount. I expected to see a way to link both accounts together and the discount would be automatic. Another subscriber benefit is listed as,"Early access to new homebrew games". Why am I gaining access at the same time as everyone else?

This is not a homebrew game, per se. It is an official product from First Star Software as co-publisher with Atari Age.

Thomas, Richard and I have no agreement with Al whatsoever to provide this in advance to AA subscribers; so assumptions about discounts and early access are moot.

If you have paid already and you're not happy about the discount or early access, we'll be happy to refund.

Cheers

A

Here you say it is definitely a homebrew.

Anyway, I'm not wanting a refund. I'm just confused. If Al first had an agreement to his subscribers for a 5% discount in the AtariAge Store and early access to new homebrew games then I don't see how he could have formed an agreement that contradicts that. I think it is a little more than a assumption that as a subscriber I would receive the services from Al that I paid for. I assumed that Al would have said something like,"Guys, the only way I can sell this in my store is if my subscribers get a 5% discount and early access to your game. I have already agreed to provide these services to my subscribers and that is just the way it has got to be."

Lol... the sentence just before I say, and I quote, "it's a fully commercial product now"? Selective quoting is handy, but hardly an argument winner.

I understand your confusion, but please don't confuse AtariAge with me. I have nothing whatsoever to do with AtariAge. I have no obligation to you in this regard.

I don't speak for Al, or AtariAge, so this issue may very well be resolved to your satisfaction. Or not. Nothing to do with me :)

But like, what are we talking about here.... 5%? That's, what, $3.75? Fine, I'll take that out of my cut and you can get Al to refund you.

Cheers

A

Edit: changed to "selective quoting" from "quoting out of context" as it is more accurate.

I assumed that Al would have said something like,"Guys, the only way I can sell this in my store is if my subscribers get a 5% discount and early access to your game. I have already agreed to provide these services to my subscribers and that is just the way it has got to be."

The negotiations were difficult and complex. They took many months. Company lawyers and official contracts were involved. If Al *had* said something like the above -- trust me -- there would have been no release at all.

Probably because we are (or at least I am) not really aware why numbering would make any difference.

Because lower numbers are more valuable.

It's like golf.

Y'see, a cartridge numbered "1" for example, is far more rare than a cartridge numbered "250". Even though there's only one of each, the one numbered "1" had the number "1" written on it first, even if was actually the last or 37th cartridge assembled.

Unless of course, someone had written on them out-of-sequence. In that case, whichever one was written on first would be the most valuable, even if it was number 37, because it would have been the first one written on. But then you'd need a certificate of authenticity to verify that #37 was in fact, #1.

Unless Albert had to peel the label off of it because he wrote the wrong number on it or something. Because then the whole batch would be ruined, and he'd just have to start over.

But that's okay, because any that he didn't have to peel the labels off would become even more rare, because then they would be a "variation". And those are even more valuable, because some of them were screwed up.

So... uh...

No, I don't really get it either. :roll:

I can completely see Schizophretard's point here, but I would guess that this was simply unintentionally overlooked by all involved. I am a subscriber and didn't even think about my "subscriber perks" with regards to this release until it was brought to my attention here in the thread.

Considering that there was a special agreement reached between the publishers and first star software in order for this to even happen, I would talent a guess that a "licensing fee" was attached to the release of the game. Additionally, it is a limited release, so I could see why the 5% discount would not apply to this particular case, as the publishers are already going to have a heck of a time recouping their investment of money and time. As far as the "first dibbs" thing goes...that's a whole other bowl of wax. It would have been nice to have first crack at the pre-order...I just made sure to closely follow the thread and not miss this one. I'm glad I didn't!!!!!

I am sure Al will shed some light here...either way, I have already paid for mine and I'm just happy that I will get to play this finally! Thanks to all that made this happen!!! This will have been well worth the $81.00 price of admission!

• Like 1

Probably because we are (or at least I am) not really aware why numbering would make any difference.

Just to clarify it: Numbering has nothing to do with collectors value. It's some kind of fake protection. There can only be one of each number, so you can spot a fake much more easiely if you know who has what number or at least a part of them are known.

Thats why low quantity runs are numbered.

Edited by Thorium
  • Like 1

Lol... the sentence just before I say, and I quote, "it's a fully commercial product now"? Selective quoting is handy, but hardly an argument winner.

I understand your confusion, but please don't confuse AtariAge with me. I have nothing whatsoever to do with AtariAge. I have no obligation to you in this regard.

I don't speak for Al, or AtariAge, so this issue may very well be resolved to your satisfaction. Or not. Nothing to do with me :)

But like, what are we talking about here.... 5%? That's, what, $3.75? Fine, I'll take that out of my cut and you can get Al to refund you.

Cheers

A

Edit: changed to "selective quoting" from "quoting out of context" as it is more accurate.

It wasn't selective quoting. I linked to the full quote. It says:

"Very ambiguous.

I did not develop Boulder Dash® with the intention of selling it to make a profit.

Is it a homebrew? In my opinion, most definitely yes. Although it's a fully commercial product now.

I think homebrew describes the authors, and method of development, not the method of sale and distribution.

Cheers

A "

You said it describes the authors, and method of development, not the method of sale and distribution. So, by the authors and method of development it is a homebrew and the method of sale and distribution doesn't change that. It just becomes a commercially released homebrew like the rest in the store.

LOL! I'm not asking you to give me $3.75. You don't owe me anything. Your agreement is with Al. I'm just wondering why Al would get into an agreement that would be violating past agreements.

Before I subscribed I read:

"Here's a list of benefits for AtariAge Subscribers:

- Larger Personal Messenger Inbox - 2,000 storable messages versus 500

- Ability to invite 50 people to a private conversation versus 10

- Ability to change your username up to twice a year

- No search flood control delay

- Daily Assignable Reputation Points: 100 versus 25

- Access to Subscriber-Only Forums

- 5 Line signature versus 3 lines

- Edit window of 30 days versus one hour

- Can remove the "Edited By" Legend

- Larger personal photo (250 x 250 versus 150 x 150)

- Can create 5 unique blogs (as opposed to one)

- 5% Discount in the AtariAge Store

- Early access to new homebrew games

- Special AtariAge Subscriber icon in profile and posts

- Name highlighted in online lists (red + prefix)

- Advertisements hidden from Subscribers - 24-Hour Access to real-time chat module

- Access to additional forum skins (6 Additional skins are available thus far!)

And the above list is just the start! We'll certainly be expanding the above list as time goes on."

The 5% Discount in the AtariAge Store and Early access to new homebrew games jumped out at me the most because I plan on eventually starting a homebrew collection. That 5% could add up if I bought all of the games and I'll get early access to new releases. That sold me but now on my first purchase of a new release from the store I received neither benefit. I'm not pissed off about it or anything. I'm not looking for any type of refund. I'm just confused about why he didn't include those in the agreement with you.

Cheers

A

It wasn't selective quoting. I linked to the full quote. It says:

"Very ambiguous.

I did not develop Boulder Dash® with the intention of selling it to make a profit.

Is it a homebrew? In my opinion, most definitely yes. Although it's a fully commercial product now.

I think homebrew describes the authors, and method of development, not the method of sale and distribution.

Cheers

A "

You said it describes the authors, and method of development, not the method of sale and distribution. So, by the authors and method of development it is a homebrew and the method of sale and distribution doesn't change that. It just becomes a commercially released homebrew like the rest in the store.

LOL! I'm not asking you to give me $3.75. You don't owe me anything. Your agreement is with Al. I'm just wondering why Al would get into an agreement that would be violating past agreements.

Before I subscribed I read:

"Here's a list of benefits for AtariAge Subscribers:

- Larger Personal Messenger Inbox - 2,000 storable messages versus 500

- Ability to invite 50 people to a private conversation versus 10

- Ability to change your username up to twice a year

- No search flood control delay

- Daily Assignable Reputation Points: 100 versus 25

- Access to Subscriber-Only Forums

- 5 Line signature versus 3 lines

- Edit window of 30 days versus one hour

- Can remove the "Edited By" Legend

- Larger personal photo (250 x 250 versus 150 x 150)

- Can create 5 unique blogs (as opposed to one)

- 5% Discount in the AtariAge Store

- Early access to new homebrew games

- Special AtariAge Subscriber icon in profile and posts

- Name highlighted in online lists (red + prefix)

- Advertisements hidden from Subscribers - 24-Hour Access to real-time chat module

- Access to additional forum skins (6 Additional skins are available thus far!)

And the above list is just the start! We'll certainly be expanding the above list as time goes on."

The 5% Discount in the AtariAge Store and Early access to new homebrew games jumped out at me the most because I plan on eventually starting a homebrew collection. That 5% could add up if I bought all of the games and I'll get early access to new releases. That sold me but now on my first purchase of a new release from the store I received neither benefit. I'm not pissed off about it or anything. I'm not looking for any type of refund. I'm just confused about why he didn't include those in the agreement with you.

You should just be glad you're getting this ;)

• Like 5

If you guys had no plans to number the cartridges that's totally cool with me. Personally, I would rather my cartridge not have a Sharpie mark on it.

Nothing so unprofessional. We've bought a whole new bottle of white-out, too, so that the number is easy to read...

Here's cart #27.

post-214-0-89563700-1323518890_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

If you guys had no plans to number the cartridges that's totally cool with me. Personally, I would rather my cartridge not have a Sharpie mark on it.

Nothing so unprofessional. We've bought a whole new bottle of white-out, too, so that the number is easy to read...

Here's cart #27.

:lol: I knew I should have left space for that on the labels I submitted!

I'm sorry my question led to a bit of a foofaraw. I'm 100% happy to pay full price, and it makes perfect sense to me that this game would be handled differently (if that is indeed the case -- I'll wait for Al to weigh in).

Honestly I just wanted to make sure my store account was working properly. Come to think of it, I'd never actually ordered from the store before, and wasn't expecting to have to register a second account in addition to my AtariAge account. Not seeing a discount made me wonder if the two registrations were associating properly.

I ordered from the store AND got the discount! So unless anyone else got the discount, my cart order is #1!!!! Yeeaaaaah! Number one. Número UNO...

Seriously, I could care less whether they're numbered or not. If I've underpaid please tell me how to correct this.

I can't believe all the hoopla over a crummy 5% off! I'm a subscriber and could care less about the 5% I may or may not supposed to be getting off the list price.

We're talking about f**king BOULDERDASH for the 2600 people! This is a title that just about everyone thought was damn near impossible before Andrew stepped into the fray! Stop being cheap and pay the piper for his magic and hard work! Look at all the legal snafus that had to be addressed regarding licensing not to mention the years of programming that went into this! Hell, if the cart cost $100 a piece I'd still be the first in line to pre-order one.

I'm sure Andrew will have no trouble whatsoever selling 250 of these for the full asking price.

Using the inflation calculator, what cost $75 in 2010 would cost $28.72 in 1980.

The price that is being asked is right in line with what this title would have cost back in 1980.

If you don't want to pay full price, don't sign up for it! Problem solved!

NOTE:

I don't mean to come across as a jerk - I'm just saying nobody is putting a gun to your head to purchase one. :)

• Like 3

I can't believe all the hoopla over a crummy 5% off! I'm a subscriber and could care less about the 5% I may or may not supposed to be getting off the list price.

We're talking about f**king BOULDERDASH for the 2600 people! This is a title that just about everyone thought was damn near impossible before Andrew stepped into the fray! Stop being cheap and pay the piper for his magic and hard work! Look at all the legal snafus that had to be addressed regarding licensing not to mention the years of programming that went into this! Hell, if the cart cost $100 a piece I'd still be the first in line to pre-order one.

I'm sure Andrew will have no trouble whatsoever selling 250 of these for the full asking price.

Using the inflation calculator, what cost $75 in 2010 would cost $28.72 in 1980.

The price that is being asked is right in line with what this title would have cost back in 1980.

If you don't want to pay full price, don't sign up for it! Problem solved!

NOTE:

I don't mean to come across as a jerk - I'm just saying nobody is putting a gun to your head to purchase one. :)

I'm not being cheap. I already said that I'm not looking for a refund. If it was $100 I probably still would have paid it. What's wrong with wondering why I'm not receiving services that I paid for?

Alright, I need to set the record straight here. Yes, AtariAge Subscribers can get 5% off Boulder Dash. However, forum accounts are not directly tied to the store, so people need to explicitly ask for me to update their account in the store in order to receive the discount. As for getting early access to homebrews, there have been a few offers already, but it's something I can expand on in the future.

..Al

• Like 3

Alright, I need to set the record straight here. Yes, AtariAge Subscribers can get 5% off Boulder Dash. However, forum accounts are not directly tied to the store, so people need to explicitly ask for me to update their account in the store in order to receive the discount.

Thanks, Al, clarification very much appreciated. Perhaps a future revision of the forum/store software will simplify this process.