IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

First video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKCUcB_i_GI

Albert did a good job in sealing the package. :D

ROFL! I had a ball getting that thing open.

I've got my review up, http://johnlrlinde.com/ I'm only posting the link to the page, since there are spoilers in the review containing pics of the bonus stuff. Don't worry, it's going to be the first post on the page at least until Monday, when I do my WWE article.

• Like 1

Iggy*SJB' timestamp='1341114277' post='2551412']

I've got my review up, http://johnlrlinde.com/

Thanks for the nice review!

I just want to comment on the "no Atari logo" business. You have to remember that at the time the box was being designed, Atari had sent me a nasty lawyer's letter telling me that I was using their trademarked intellectual property for my domain www.atari2600.org, that I should cease and desist, and hand the domain to them gratis. Under those circumstances, I doubt ANYONE would then slap an Atari logo on any product they were producing for the Atari 2600 -- be it commercial OR homebrew. So though in principle I agree it would have been nice, it would probably have been opening a significant can of worms. Can you imagine a lawyer-enforced product recall because we used the logo? No, thanks!

Cheers

A

I just want to comment on the "no Atari logo" business. You have to remember that at the time the box was being designed, Atari had sent me a nasty lawyer's letter telling me that I was using their trademarked intellectual property for my domain www.atari2600.org, that I should cease and desist, and hand the domain to them gratis. Under those circumstances, I doubt ANYONE would then slap an Atari logo on any product they were producing for the Atari 2600 -- be it commercial OR homebrew. So though in principle I agree it would have been nice, it would probably have been opening a significant can of worms. Can you imagine a lawyer-enforced product recall because we used the logo? No, thanks!

To be fair, I also like the front to be as clean as possible and not cluttered up with logos, copyright notices etc.

So if you deduct half a point, then this one should go to me. :)

I see no reason to put the Atari logo on homebrews. Third party publishers never used the logo and AtariAge is technically a third-party publisher. It would be inappropriate anyway. As Nathan said, Atari didn't front any resources to the development of this game. Why should their logo end up on the packaging?

• Like 3

I've got my review up, http://johnlrlinde.com/ I'm only posting the link to the page, since there are spoilers in the review containing pics of the bonus stuff. Don't worry, it's going to be the first post on the page at least until Monday, when I do my WWE article.

Nice review, but I don't think it's fair that you knocked a half star off due to the "missing" Atari logo. As a general rule, we don't put the Atari logo on any homebrew games, since (as others have mentioned), Atari has had no involvement with these games and they are not being published by Atari. In fact, Atari could easily say to us, "Hey, stop selling this game as you're using our logo without permission" and Atari would be within their right to do so.

If you look at all the third-party releases sold by companies like Activision, Imagic and Coleco, you won't see the Atari logo anywhere, for the same reasons.

Thanks,

..Al

• Like 1

The general consensus seems to be that this game is great, and it's nice to see that a few copies are still available. Now all I need to buy the game is a job. Or some kind of windfall. Or if 15 more people buy Four-Play, that would work too.

Got my copy in the UK on Friday - thanks for the speedy shipping Al! It looks and plays great. I played an earlier version at the vgXpo way back in 2005 and I'm pleased to say that it is just as impressive 7 years later!

Chris

I played an earlier version at the vgXpo way back in 2005 and I'm pleased to say that it is just as impressive 7 years later!

Holy cow! That was before we had flying cars, automatic sidewalks that move like conveyor belts, robot butlers, and talking dogs!

I've got my review up, http://johnlrlinde.com/

Cheers

A

Thanks for that explanation, Al. I figured there was some legal reason(copyright issue, or something like it)... but had no idea they had demonstrated themselves to be such assbags. I guess it's a good thing they don't have an issue with the creation of new games for these consoles, else we'd all be in deep chit.

Edit: Oh, I just caught a part of your post I missed in the first go; about third party game makers not putting the logo on the front. I just went and checked the boxes, and you're right about the logo, but they do have "For use with your Atari Video Computer System". I know that we are all aware of what system it's for, and I'm not going to argue the point(it's moot anyway)... but that's what I meant, a reference to the system it was created for. It doesn't detract from the game, but would separate it from full-on "homebrews". Just an opinion.

Edited by [d2f]Iggy*SJB

Iggy*SJB' timestamp='1341172718' post='2551742']

Thanks for that explanation, Al. I figured there was some legal reason(copyright issue, or something like it)... but had no idea they had demonstrated themselves to be such assbags. I guess it's a good thing they don't have an issue with the creation of new games for these consoles, else we'd all be in deep chit.

Just to be clear, Atari has not said, "Hey, don't use our logo on any homebrew games". But I don't want to see that becoming an issue, so I've avoided using it on homebrew games. There's no reason to use the Atari logo. Heck, it's not even featured on AtariAge at all, except in imagery of existing games and consoles. Legally Atari can't do anything to stop the creation of new games for the 2600--Activision helped set that precedent (in court) long ago.

..Al

Iggy*SJB' timestamp='1341172718' post='2551742']

... but that's what I meant, a reference to the system it was created for.

The blurb dot-points on the back list "For the Atari 2600/7800".

I think that's pretty clear. Not front page, in your face, but it *IS* there :)

I'd never played Boulder Dash on any platform, so I was anxious to give this game a try. I love the title screen(s) and the attract mode. The graphics and color choices are excellent. The music sets the tone for the game very well. I'm guessing this theme is adapted from other versions of Boulder Dash? The first two caves are fun and teach the game mechanics nicely. The difficulty level goes up sharply for the third cave however... So sharply that it can be discouraging. But after you make it through this cave (Cave C) once it does get easier. The "Look-Around" feature is extremely helpful here. And once you know where the exit appears it's easier to plan a strategy. The next level (Cave D) is also nicely-done but difficult. So far each cave presents a new puzzle. This is not a game that will be mastered overnight.

I did notice one possible hiccup: The manual says you can press Select and Reset simultaneously to return to the Selection screen. This did not work on my 2600 junior console; nothing happened.

In a way it's a shame this is limited to a run of 250 copies. I think a cheaper "cartridge plus instruction sheet" version could sell well. I know there are barriers to releasing more though.

Overall, this is a truly amazing release. Congrats to all involved!

I do wish I could check this out on Stella. I've played a few other ports of Boulder Dash over the years (what WAS the original platform for this?) but I don't have a 2600 or a CRT TV anymore or very much money. I play all my 2600 games by emulation these days. The videos make it look very impressive, I just wish I could check it out myself, and I'd pay a small ammount for it.

My favorite version growing up was the C-64 port.