IGNORED

Small thing. Memtest 1.0 1996 JAKU-B

russg

When I run MEMTEST.EXE on my 256K Newell 800XL I get 304 KB, 48K too much.

Is there an updated MEMTEST someplace? Or maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/162718-comprehensive-ram-test-programs/page__view__findpost__p__2009277

look at this link for ramtesting programs. I don't think that I have a memtest program except for xram21.com.

Some RAM expansions mirror parts of the base 64K to the 16K area @ $4000 with certain PortB settings.

If the testing program doesn't take this into account, it can return the wrong amount.

Yes, I believe that is what is happening. The Newell allows banking all four 16K standard memory into $4000, so MEMTEST.EXE is probably banking everything

but the OS ($C000-$FFFF). Newell docs say don't bank main memory, unless you know what you're doing. The Newell banks 12 16K extended RAM into

$4000, giving 192K extra. There's a memory test program on the Newell disk. It also has VTOCFIX.EXE for MyDOS/2.5/2.0 fixer and a RAMdisk at D8: and a COPY256.EXE to use all 192K for a diskcopy. Here's the Newell disk. It has a XLXETEST.BAS file that tests the Newell. I haven't found many programs

that use the extra memory. Probably mostly demos use it.

NEWELL.zip

Mem-Test v1.0 (1996)(Jaku-B)(Pl).zip

Edited by russg

(Off topic)

I just learned what russ means in Deutch. I took German in college, but didn't run across this word. German uses a funny capital 'S' for a double ss.

I'm now ready to become a chimney sweep. "SOOT".

Edited by russg

OK. I got it now. MEMTEST.COM is correct. Bits 5,6,3 and 2 when set bank extended memory into $4000-$7FFF. If bit 7 is set then main RAM is banked to $4000.

So, $8F banks OS ($C000-$FFFF) to $4000, $8B banks $8000-$BFFF, MEMTEST doesn't bank $4000-$7FFF, I guess because it is already there (?), so that

bank isn't included in the total, and finally $83 banks $0000-$3FFF to $4000, whatever you'd want to do that. I had to look at my old Newell documentation.

REFERENCE VALUEs in $D301 (PORTB):

$FF standard RAM, BASIC disabled.

$EF,$EB,$E7,$E3, four banks

$CF,$CB,$C7,$C3, four more banks

$AF,$AB,$A7,$A3, four more banks

then bit 7 set, along with bits 0 to 3 bank main memory.,

Uh, bit 7 is set for all of them, anything above $80 bit 7 is set.

Edited by russg

The ABBUC contest is over, so I can release an improved CRC32 program. I call it CRC32N.COM. version 'N'. It gets the directory problem fixed, is 27% faster and has error trapping.

Here's a little history of how I programmed CRC32N.COM:

'This came from:

http://www.6502.org/...ntegers/crc.htm

This URL came from a post '32 bit numbers' to AtariAge.com asking for info how to deal with 32 bit numbers on 8-bit Atari and RevEng responded with this URL. on August 20, 2011.

My code comes without much modification directly from this code.'

That is about the assembler code embedded in ACTION! code that gets the filename, directory, parse, etc. I wrote the code in Mac65, compiled it, and extracted the

machine code into a series of hex numbers for ACTION! code blocks.

Much thanks to RevEng (reverse engineer) and, of course, this wonderful resource, ATARIAGE.COM.

CRC32N.zip

Edited by russg

Hi, @rdea.

I don't think I can get a text file of MEMTEST output. My previous post of reference values is what MEMTEST shows, except I don't believe I included

the $8x main memory banking. It shows $8F, $8B, no $87 (banking $4000-$7FFF to $4000-$7FFF), and $83.

So, MEMTEST shows 12 banks, four each, at $Ex, $Cx, $Ax, making 3x64K banking and three $8x main memory banking for 48K more, totalling

240K banked memory and 64K main memory for a total of 304K. If I understand what you're asking.

Here's a screen of MEMTEST for Rambo 320K in A8WP4, which is same as my screen except mine doesn't have $87.

I forgot to thank ABBUC members, such as you, for the terrific support of Atari 8-bit.

russg

Oh, I think you're asking results of CRC32 captured to text file. I could do that.

post-21816-0-20004800-1319984929_thumb.png

Edited by russg

(Off topic)

I just learned what russ means in Deutch. I took German in college, but didn't run across this word. German uses a funny capital 'S' for a double ss.

Hmm,

in german dialect we also use "Russ" (yes, with double-s) as an abbreviation for "a russian" (someone from russia)... ;-)

and err, the german special character "ß" (sharp s) does not exist in upper case; furthermore it looks more like an upper case "B" than an upper case "S" ;-)

-Andreas Koch

Edited by CharlieChaplin

(Off topic)

Hmm,

in german dialect we also use "Russ" (yes, with double-s) as an abbreviation for "a russian" (someone from russia)... ;-)

and err, the german special character "ß" (sharp s) does not exist in upper case; furthermore it looks more like an upper case "B" than an upper case "S" ;-)

-Andreas Koch

That makes sense.

I should probably start a new thread, and I usually should wait at least 3 days before releasing a new or modified program. But I'll consider it a BETA and post

it here for @rdea6 and anyone else wants to test it.

This is CRC32N2.COM, it incorporates a feature to write the CRC32 to a .DAT file. It will only make a CRC32.DAT file. If you want to save it to make another one

change the filename before you make a new .DAT file, ie. it overwrites any CRC32.DAT file already whereever you want to put it (which drive #).

CRC32N2.zip

I should probably start a new thread, and I usually should wait at least 3 days before releasing a new or modified program. But I'll consider it a BETA and post

This is CRC32N2.COM, it incorporates a feature to write the CRC32 to a .DAT file. It will only make a CRC32.DAT file. If you want to save it to make another one

change the filename before you make a new .DAT file, ie. it overwrites any CRC32.DAT file already whereever you want to put it (which drive #).

Thanks Russg

This is good just what the program needs IMO. And I agree this deserves a new thread since it is an ABBUC contest entry.

Thanks again.

Thanks Russg

This is good just what the program needs IMO. And I agree this deserves a new thread since it is an ABBUC contest entry.

Thanks again.

Welcome. It was your idea. Let me know if it works for you.

SNIP

Welcome. It was your idea. Let me know if it works for you.

Yes I like it.. It reminds me of a crc16 progam to check and list the crc's of files that I have. It is easier to use now with the saved results on the same disk.

With file names needing to be truncated to 8.3 format so often I have a lot of dupilicates just named differently, and this CRC listing lets me get rid of duplicates.

That Mem-Test is a .ATR. I can't get it to list a directory or show the MEMTEST file, so here's MEMTEST.COM file.

I have dug through a bunch of .ATRs and extracted the memtest programs and made up an ATR with all the best. The file called PAGEMAP.COM is only a bload data program for one of the Atari basic programs.

post-10165-0-33404800-1320205302_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-45115100-1320205303_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-87999200-1320205303_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-96797700-1320205304_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-88834200-1320205305_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-47141200-1320205306_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-50324800-1320205307_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-98236400-1320205307_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-44104700-1320205308_thumb.pngMEMRAMCHECKTEST.ATRpost-10165-0-37944500-1320205610_thumb.png

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 5

• 5 years later...

I have dug through a bunch of .ATRs and extracted the memtest programs and made up an ATR with all the best. The file called PAGEMAP.COM is only a bload data program for one of the Atari basic programs.

attachicon.gifexttest.pngattachicon.giflamemem.pngattachicon.gifMEMDRV.pngattachicon.gifMEMTEST.pngattachicon.gifRAMTEST.pngattachicon.gifSHORT.pngattachicon.gifSI2.EXE.pngattachicon.gifXLTEST.pngattachicon.gifXRAM.pngattachicon.gifMEMRAMCHECKTEST.ATRattachicon.gifmemcheck.png

Necro bump, I just upgraded my 400 to "48" k and wanted to check the ram, and before I posted a new topic asking for some ram tests I did a little foo on google and bam here it is with a pile of programs

I like more than one checker as a sanity test

Thank you!

PS: that quoted post would be a good link to have marked as a reference in one of the n00b stickies

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

This is an awesome compilation! Just what I was looking for!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Extest, my contribution above, has been upgraded in talents

to properly detect rambo type banking scheme where 4 banks

of system ram are in the extended memory reducing the

overall size of usable ramdisk usage by those same 4 banks.

The prior version above did not do this and gave an incorrect

accounting of available banks on those machines. With

source code here -

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256959-calling-on-1200xl-extended-memory-experts-for-help/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3600549

• Like 1

Extest, my contribution above, has been upgraded in talents

to properly detect rambo type banking scheme where 4 banks

of system ram are in the extended memory reducing the

overall size of usable ramdisk usage by those same 4 banks.

The prior version above did not do this and gave an incorrect

accounting of available banks on those machines.

UPDATED:MEMRAMCHECKTEST.ATR

with 1050's latest EXTEST.COM post-10165-0-13575600-1501240188.png

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 5