IGNORED

*** GIANT DEMOS COMPEDIUM on Atari 8bit computers ***

Allas

Hi all,

Recently I can do a little time to create a giant video about the demo scene on Atari. I recompiled the most interesting parts all together in one unique video of 1h 18'. I did this with much effort and I hope experienced and new atarians could appreciate as a source of inspiration. It's a presentation that show why Atari it's the definite retro 8bit computer. If you appreciate this effort, you can help to increase the knowledge of the legacy posting this video on your preferred social network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaKAGirhQw

Enjoy!

• Like 10

I watched just over 55 min. of it last night, before I had to go to bed, I will finish the rest of it tonight. It is awsome and definately sonething to show the world what our 8-bits can do, though I'm not sure if non-fans or people you are trying to convince will sit through a feature-film length demo.

I saw many very cool demos that I hadn't before only becuase those demos require a real PAL system (even though I saw nothing in them that would make me think they wouldn't run on NTSC with PAL Antic; they don't run merely becuase the programmers decided to check if it's PAL and not allow Nir Dary (sorry if that name is misspelled) Pal upgraded NTSCs! All the PAL stuff that will load runs fine on my Nir Dary XL...I wish these programmers would just let the stuff load on any NTSC or PAL and let the chips fall where they may, if it crashes, it crashes.

Very cool, but maybe it would be better with only 42 chars width to avoid color tearing outside "standard" visible area.

I think it needs to stay honest, not edited to hide side-effects (no pun intended). Better to show the good with the bad, just like it would look if being watched on the real hardware. Besides, people unfamiliar with "color tearing" may think nothing of it or think it's supposed to look that way rather than having to look that way.

Edited by Gunstar

Thank you for your replies.

Fox said:

8-bit demos for the YouTube generation. :)

How did you grab them?

I use Altirra to save the video sequences i choice of my favorite demos.After that I use AVS Video Editor to edit and paste all videos. It's easy to use, i recommend it. My output choice was double video size of Altirra generated and 60fps for all videos.

Jose Pereira said:

What of the Demos made by Zelax it's the one that starts at 46:04?

Ray of Hope

R4ng3rM4n said:

A chronological order (with year, demo name and group) would have been better ... just to see evolution of things from pseudo sine scrollers to real 3-D.

uhhh... maybe next revision ;)

Mapa said:

Very cool, but maybe it would be better with only 42 chars width to avoid color tearing outside "standard" visible area.

Yes, it needs more work. i have to remove borders, processing interlacing videos because youtube doesn't get good conversion with them, remove some sequences. However 90% of job is done.

@Emkay:

Next time will be with game in chronological order.

Edited by Allas

Love it. The music, 4mins in, where's that from?

X-Ray (Composer)

The X-Ray that did the music to drunken chessboard ? Just looked up a bunch of his music, it's brilliant. Cheers for that info.

Drunk chessboard is one of my all time favorite demos - the music is brilliant, as are the effects. To top it off, it's only 16K!

Love it. The music, 4mins in, where's that from?

X-Ray (Composer)

The X-Ray that did the music to drunken chessboard ? Just looked up a bunch of his music, it's brilliant. Cheers for that info.

Yes, he also did the music for Numen, Yoomp, etc...

Edited by MrFish