IGNORED

Status of new ST OS?

Willsy

IMHO, this desktop is the slickest, most modern looking, coolest "possible" desktop I have seen in the Atari platform and is a shame it has stopped.

I wish I was a programmer to help finish it but alas I am not even close.

I hope some Atari fanatics that know programming pick this back up and finish it. Would be real nice to use on Firebee for example.

I think there are a few things missing to help an older Atari more useful in this day and age. I will mention 2.

Need of a modern web browser that can handle most web sites of today. The new Firebee or faster clones should be able to handle them so would be nice to have a new browser.

More mature and useful desktop like this new zView I think they call it. Keeps fairly basic on appearance so it is not too much eye candy but I feel a step above what is already available, looks more modern, and has some nice windowing and tabbing features that look useful.

I really like the looks of this new desktop and sorry to see the original programmer stop. 8-(

tj

• 3 weeks later...

Not really. 4 megs will let you run MINT on a standard ST, but only a cut down/slimmed down version. Not sure it even has a normal desktop at that point. Will be a little bit slow without some kind of accelerator as well.

Needs a higher end Atari... Falcon, TT, Falcon 060, Firebee, etc...

Afaik Highwire needs TOS 4.04, or MiNT, or Magic, and NVDI (3 or above), or SpeedoGDOS.

I think with these specs we can talk about a four meg machine as minimum hardware.

*edit*

You might use Cab instead.

*edit*

Edited by jens

Afaik Highwire needs TOS 4.04, or MiNT, or Magic, and NVDI (3 or above), or SpeedoGDOS.

I think with these specs we can talk about a four meg machine as minimum hardware.

*edit*

You might use Cab instead.

*edit*

I have a copy of CAB, but still have no way to get online with an Atari. My internet connection is cable modem and I have no way to interface it to the ST.

You can use STing with Slip to connect to a Linux box which will route you into the net.

Here is a guide on how to configure both machines.

Which might work if I had a machine running Linux.

I have a copy of CAB, but still have no way to get online with an Atari. My internet connection is cable modem and I have no way to interface it to the ST.

Have you considered EtherNEC, NetUSB or Hydra? Or even setting up a connection through a modern PC?

I can't find anyone still making any of those devices and how do I route my internet connection through my PC? I don't have any port on my PC that coincides with any port on my ST to make the connection.

Edited by OldAtarian

No serial port? Then why are we discussing it? Anyway, I got an ethernec and I go online that way. The designs are free (as in free speech so no laws will be broken) and some people are selling such devices if you want to either build it or buy it.

Edited by Christos

No serial port? Then why are we discussing it? Anyway, I got an ethernec and I go online that way. The designs are free (as in free speech so no laws will be broken) and some people are selling such devices if you want to either build it or buy it.

We're discussing it because the possibility of connecting through a PC was mentioned by another user above. When was the last time you saw a serial port on a modern PC? Also, I don't do electronics and as I said previously I haven't seen one for sale for a long time and then they are only available sporadically whenever someone feels like turning out a small batch and then they go fast. I can't find any Atari ethernet adapter of any kind for sale anywhere at the moment.

Edited by OldAtarian

There are usb to serial adapters too... And anyway, you initially said your problem was not having linux, then not having serial ports and then that you are basically unwilling. So again, why are we discussing this?

When did I ever say I was unwilling to do anything? I can't build an ethernet adapter for the ST because I don't know how, and I can't buy one because none are available to buy. In the same post where I said I didn't have a machine running Linux, I also mentioned that I didn't have, couldn't make, and can't find an adapter for the ST to connect to my ethernet. What part of that post didn't you understand?

I can't build an ethernet adapter for the ST because I don't know how

Understand you there.. I wish I was a hardware person.. ;-(

That said, the PC USB-to-serial adapters frequently sell for under $10 with shipping on e-bait... It's always nice to have one of those..

And you can make the connection on Windows as mentioned, but you can also just set up a VM on your PC to run Linux in.

VirtualBox is free.

Now, for totally USELESS internet connectivity :-), they sell serial-ethernet adapters.

They were/are basically for managing remote devices where ethernet was available.

I have one and have used it on my Amigas. The "neat" feature there is that the devices generally support DNS and "modem emulation." Also, there are still a number of BBSes out there, but available via telnet.

So I fire up my Amiga 1000, launch JRComm, and type something like: atdt coolbbs.dyndns.org

and it connects and I'm BBSing over the internet..

True, not what you asked for at all, but it's kind of fun.. ;-)

Theoretically, if in Linux or Windows, you could set up a listener (getty or mgetty in Linux) to listen on a TCP port rather than a serial device, you could use it to SLIP "dial" into your Linux box via ethernet, but I haven't worked on that...

My Amiga 1000 at the time didn't have the horsepower for even a SLIP TCPIP stack...

(It does now, so I could look at that again maybe... I need more time...)

Good Luck

desiv