IGNORED

Who else is boycotting Skyrim/Bethesda?

Gemintronic

Mord pretty much sums up whatever I might have said. Skyrim continues the trend of letting RPGs fester into first person shooters. Wouldn't buy it anyway. I guess caring about trademarks and piracy requires a developer mentality. Not that I rock as a developer - far from it. Just, when you create as opposed to consume losing your rights gets more personal. Imagine making the next big beat-em up and having Capcom sue you because you used the word "Fighter".

I've been a software developer professionally for a long time. I also develop in the open-source community. Still I don't feel strongly enough about this particular incident to refrain from buying the only game I have truly anticipated this year. I would say the side you take has much less to do with whether or not you are a "producer" or a "consumer" and much more to with whether or not you are a fan of The Elder Scrolls or the recent Fallout games. Anyone in this thread who has said they would not buy it already wouldn't have bought it. Most of the people who have said they will buy it are very excited for the game but also don't like the lawsuit. Take that as you will. I see two sides to the company really. There's the business side that cares about this lawsuit and there are the workers who poured themselves into this game. As a "producer" I certainly wouldn't want to lose my job because people didn't buy the game I worked on in reaction to what the jerk-off suits upstairs have done and I would hope my hard work and the love I poured into the product would be experienced by the people I most appreciate, the "consumer".

Edited by Hyper_Eye
  • Like 1

Mord pretty much sums up whatever I might have said. Skyrim continues the trend of letting RPGs fester into first person shooters. Wouldn't buy it anyway. I guess caring about trademarks and piracy requires a developer mentality. Not that I rock as a developer - far from it. Just, when you create as opposed to consume losing your rights gets more personal. Imagine making the next big beat-em up and having Capcom sue you because you used the word "Fighter".

I've been a software developer professionally for a long time. I also develop in the open-source community. Still I don't feel strongly enough about this particular incident to refrain from buying the only game I have truly anticipated this year. I would say the side you take has much less to do with whether or not you are a "producer" or a "consumer" and much more to with whether or not you are a fan of The Elder Scrolls or the recent Fallout games. Anyone in this thread who has said they would not buy it already wouldn't have bought it. Most of the people who have said they will buy it are very excited for the game but also don't like the lawsuit. Take that as you will. I see two sides to the company really. There's the business side that cares about this lawsuit and there are the workers who poured themselves into this game. As a "producer" I certainly wouldn't want to lose my job because people didn't buy the game I worked on in reaction to what the jerk-off suits upstairs have done and I would hope my hard work and the love I poured into the product would be experienced by the people I most appreciate, the "consumer".

/thread

Chris

As a "producer" I certainly wouldn't want to lose my job because people didn't buy the game I worked on in reaction to what the jerk-off suits upstairs have done and I would hope my hard work and the love I poured into the product would be experienced by the people I most appreciate, the "consumer".

If it ever got to the point where you lost your job over customer dissatisfaction over someone else (knee-jerk lawyers) in your company, I would hope the company would start wondering if they're firing the wrong people to make ends meet. And if the lost jobs are just due to going out of business because enough people DID care about the issue, the people losing their job had better think twice about what kind of company they're signing on with next to avoid having to repeat the mistake.

Sadly I see very little evidence that many "producers" in the modern game industry these days really give a damn about their customer, regardless of what they might tell the press for PR purposes - it shows in their games and their practices. Not speaking about you personally, but of course generally. Seems to me the few that do probably care have absolutely no control over delivering a finished product.

They can 'own' the word 'Scrolls' all they want... as long as they are working on another Fallout game! :) Fallout 4 sounds good to me!

As for Skyrim, I won't be buying it. No time for another one of these games this year. lol I did see a cool commercial for the game and I was interested in it so the commercial worked for me. lol

Hell NO, we won't go. Oh wait, that's something else isn't it? We're here, we're spheres, we're fat, that's that. Oh...wait. I mean....LOL

to tell the truth, if they hadn't had the lawsuit, I would have never have even known about the game scrolls. I may even see about picking it up, though I don't expect it to be anything compared to ES5. Would I boycott Bethesda because of this douchebaggery? No, I mean, this isn't like hacking a game up and then requiring you to pay for the extra content, or worse, making you pay to play the supposedly complete game. It's just someone being an ass, and I expect nothing to come from it. It's not even as solid as making up a word, or a shortening of one, like Starwars did. So yeah, they don't have a chance in hell, but even if they won it, I'd still have my game and be playing it, so screw all yall haterz.

Boycott = Voting with one's dollars over issues they believe in

That's the theory, but you should consider how (and if) it appears to the company you're boycotting. The dollars lost to most boycotts are as nebulous as the dollars lost to piracy.

If by Nebulous, you mean "non issue" then yeah.

I haven't liked the way Bethesda's game design has evolved since Morrowind, so buying Skyrim was already going to be an arbitrary act of loyalty to a series. I had still decided to buy it though, in fact I was going to buy it at launch, something I haven't done in about 10 years.

I turned against buying Skyrim because it requires internet based DRM, which I dislike, and more specifically it bundles Steam, which I hate and refuse to install on my computer. That's my boycott, not the Scrolls lawsuit.

I'm going to register a trademark for "Craft" and rule the world.

I'm not planning on buying it--but more because I've got some incredibly racist attitudes against elves, dwarves, and pretty much everything else that lives in middle earth and carries something with a point on it.

I stress that I'm not 'planning' on buying the game. However if the last couple of elder scrolls games are any indication, I always seem to wind up with at least one copy.

• Like 1

I've been playing "Morrowind" again for the last few months. I liked the more realistic graphics of "Oblivion," although "Morrowind" is more colorful and has more character, despite being a bit cartoony-looking. I don't think I'll be buying "Skyrim" right away (too many dang expenses at the moment), but I expect to get it eventually, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how much better the graphics are than "Oblivion."

The whole trademark lawsuit against "Scrolls" is more than stupid: it's a harmful precedent against game developers big and small. No one company should own a word.

I'm not supporting this kind of behavior and have no plans to purchase another Bethesda game until they come to their senses. Any like-minded gamers out there?

Nothing is more stupid than internet boycotts and petitions.

The whole trademark lawsuit against "Scrolls" is more than stupid: it's a harmful precedent against game developers big and small. No one company should own a word.

I'm not supporting this kind of behavior and have no plans to purchase another Bethesda game until they come to their senses. Any like-minded gamers out there?

Internet petitions are pretty pointless. Boycotts take place off the internet - they're just being advertised on it. People complaining about how other people choose to not spend their money is far more stupid.

Internet petitions are pretty pointless. Boycotts take place off the internet - they're just being advertised on it. People complaining about how other people choose to not spend their money is far more stupid.

I sure as hell couldn't care less on how he spends or doesn't spend his money. I just feel him coming on here wanting others to boycott this game with him is stupid.

I sure as hell couldn't care less on how he spends or doesn't spend his money. I just feel him coming on here wanting others to boycott this game with him is stupid.

So you're just against free speech. All he did was ask who was. Even if he was asking others to boycott the game, there's nothing wrong with that. DEMANDING people to do so would be the only point where it would become stupid.

• Like 1

So you're just against free speech. All he did was ask who was. Even if he was asking others to boycott the game, there's nothing wrong with that. DEMANDING people to do so would be the only point where it would become stupid.

Oh, give me a break. I never said that he didn't have a right to say or think or feel the way he does. He has every right to do that. Just like i have the right to say and feel and think that what he's saying, thinking or feeling is stupid. In the USA we have freedom of expression. We don't have the freedom of not getting our feeling hurt, or having others not feel differently than what we do.

I just noticed you live in Canada. One of many countries that have boards to help prevent certain people from getting their feelings hurt. Kind of explains your thoughts on the matter.

Edited by MCHufnagel

I just noticed you live in Canada. One of many countries that have boards to help prevent certain people from getting their feelings hurt. Kind of explains your thoughts on the matter.

Nice sweeping generalization there bub. No bonus points for attacking one's country of origin as a way of saving face tho.

Not looking for anyone to join me: just testing what gamers are willing to stand up for. Pretty sure the generations getting tenderized by credit card companies and cell phone contracts wouldn't understand talking with their wallet.

Nevertheless, it's great to hear people having a better reason than apathy for choosing Skyrim.

Not looking for anyone to join me: just testing what gamers are willing to stand up for. Pretty sure the generations getting tenderized by credit card companies and cell phone contracts wouldn't understand talking with their wallet.

Nevertheless, it's great to hear people having a better reason than apathy for choosing Skyrim.

HOLY CRAP DUDE YOU HAVE 666 POSTS!!! HURRY UP AND POST SOMETHING!!!

HOLY CRAP DUDE YOU HAVE 666 POSTS!!! HURRY UP AND POST SOMETHING!!!

Holy indeed... XD

As for myself, I've never really been into the Elder Scrolls series mostly due to lack of interest, nor do I have the time to play Skyrim if I can get my hands on it. I won't comment on the boycotting theme in this topic, but I find it unfortunate that some people really get upset if opinions opposite to theirs are expressed. All people are differend, and all people think in different ways.

Edited by per