IGNORED

Arcadia 2001 Multicart - 2011 version - any interest?

5-11under

Here's a list of the files I'm including at this point. Please get back to me if you see anything missing that should be included...

Games from Amigan:

1. 3DBowling
  2. 3DSoccer-A
  3. AmericanFootball
  4. AlienInvaders
  5. AstroInvader
  6. AutoRace
  7. BASEBALL
  8. Basketball
  9. Battle
  10. BlackjackPlusPoker
  11. BOXING
  12. BrainQuiz
  13. Breakaway
  14. CAPTURE
  15. CatTrax
  16. CIRCUS
  17. Combat
  18. CrazyClimber
  19. CrazyGobbler
  20. Doraemon
  21. DrSlump
  22. ESCAPE
  23. frogger
  24. FunkyFish
  25. GOLF
  26. GrandSlamTennis
  27. Hobo
  28. HorseRacing
  29. jtron
  30. JumpBug-A
  31. JUNGLER
  32. MissileWar
  33. MonacoGrandPrix
  34. MobileSoldierGundam
  35. Nibblemen
  36. OceanBattle
  37. Pleiades
  38. Parashooter
  39. R2DTank
  40. RedClash
  41. RobotKiller
  42. ROUTE16
  43. SOCCER
  44. SpaceAttack-A
  45. SpaceMission
  46. SpaceRaiders
  47. SpaceSquadron
  48. SPIDERS
  49. SpaceVultures
  50. StarChess
  51. superbug
  52. Superbug2
  53. SuperDimensionFortressMacross
  54. TanksALot
  55. TheEnd
  56. TurtlesTurpin

Alternate versions from Amigan:

1. SupperGobbler
  2. SpaceAttack-B
  3. SpaceAttack-C
  4. 3DSoccer-B
  5. JumpBug-B

Alternate versions from theoldcomputer:

1. Spiders (1982)(UA Ltd.)[o]
  2. Auto Race (198x)(UA Ltd.)[o]
  3. Crazy Climber (1982)(UA Ltd.)[aka Crazy Wall]
  4. Crazy Gobbler (1982)(UA Ltd.)[o]
  5. Frogger v1.03 (200x)(Amigan Software)
  6. JTron (2003)(Amigan Software)(PD)
  7. JTron v1.1 (2003)(Amigan Software)
  8. Red Clash (1982)(UA Ltd.)[o[

enhanced versions from Amigan:

1. starche!
  2. ssquadr!
  3. the-end!
  4. 3dsocce!
  5. alienin1
  6. alienin2
  7. alienin3
  8. alienin4
  9. gridiro!
  10. golf!
  11. HOBO!

demos from Amigan:

1. stub
  2. 8sprites
  3. mothship
  4. BOXBOY
  5. ANIMATE
  6. CHARSHOW
  7. MUSIC
  8. READBUTN
  9. READPADL
  10. hscroll
  11. MULTIPLX
  12. SCROLLER
  13. sound
  14. VSCROLL
  15. CHARTEST
  16. tester3
  17. 8sprites

www.allgame.com has a title listed as Space Chess, but I am assuming that is just an alternate label or title for StarChess. If anyone goes by that site for game listing, it looks like you have them all and many more that were not listed there.

Here's a list of the files I'm including at this point. Please get back to me if you see anything missing that should be included...

Games from Amigan:

1. 3DBowling
  2. 3DSoccer-A
  3. AmericanFootball
  4. AlienInvaders
  5. AstroInvader
  6. AutoRace
  7. BASEBALL
  8. Basketball
  9. Battle
  10. BlackjackPlusPoker
  11. BOXING
  12. BrainQuiz
  13. Breakaway
  14. CAPTURE
  15. CatTrax
  16. CIRCUS
  17. Combat
  18. CrazyClimber
  19. CrazyGobbler
  20. Doraemon
  21. DrSlump
  22. ESCAPE
  23. frogger
  24. FunkyFish
  25. GOLF
  26. GrandSlamTennis
  27. Hobo
  28. HorseRacing
  29. jtron
  30. JumpBug-A
  31. JUNGLER
  32. MissileWar
  33. MonacoGrandPrix
  34. MobileSoldierGundam
  35. Nibblemen
  36. OceanBattle
  37. Pleiades
  38. Parashooter
  39. R2DTank
  40. RedClash
  41. RobotKiller
  42. ROUTE16
  43. SOCCER
  44. SpaceAttack-A
  45. SpaceMission
  46. SpaceRaiders
  47. SpaceSquadron
  48. SPIDERS
  49. SpaceVultures
  50. StarChess
  51. superbug
  52. Superbug2
  53. SuperDimensionFortressMacross
  54. TanksALot
  55. TheEnd
  56. TurtlesTurpin

Alternate versions from Amigan:

1. SupperGobbler
  2. SpaceAttack-B
  3. SpaceAttack-C
  4. 3DSoccer-B
  5. JumpBug-B

Alternate versions from theoldcomputer:

1. Spiders (1982)(UA Ltd.)[o]
  2. Auto Race (198x)(UA Ltd.)[o]
  3. Crazy Climber (1982)(UA Ltd.)[aka Crazy Wall]
  4. Crazy Gobbler (1982)(UA Ltd.)[o]
  5. Frogger v1.03 (200x)(Amigan Software)
  6. JTron (2003)(Amigan Software)(PD)
  7. JTron v1.1 (2003)(Amigan Software)
  8. Red Clash (1982)(UA Ltd.)[o[

enhanced versions from Amigan:

1. starche!
  2. ssquadr!
  3. the-end!
  4. 3dsocce!
  5. alienin1
  6. alienin2
  7. alienin3
  8. alienin4
  9. gridiro!
  10. golf!
  11. HOBO!

demos from Amigan:

1. stub
  2. 8sprites
  3. mothship
  4. BOXBOY
  5. ANIMATE
  6. CHARSHOW
  7. MUSIC
  8. READBUTN
  9. READPADL
  10. hscroll
  11. MULTIPLX
  12. SCROLLER
  13. sound
  14. VSCROLL
  15. CHARTEST
  16. tester3
  17. 8sprites

www.allgame.com has a title listed as Space Chess, but I am assuming that is just an alternate label or title for StarChess. If anyone goes by that site for game listing, it looks like you have them all and many more that were not listed there.

I just ordered a bunch of common Arcadia 2001 and Leisurevision games from Atari2600.com, so I have plenty of cartridge housings, at least for now.

I don't know how many of them will be long versus short, but of the ones I have from other sources, I have 3 short and 8 long.

What's different with those alternate versions? I never heard of any rom variations with the Arcadia stuff before.

Good question... I don't have a full answer...

The "homebrews" Frogger and JTron are just different revisions, it looks like.

The other ones from theoldcomputer.com, and have an [o] or in the file name. I'm not sure what that means.

The ones listed from Amigan are likely different revisions, or perhaps from different consoles or companies. If you look at the screen shots here (http://amigan.1emu.net/agg/), for instance, you can see that Space Attack has 3 versions: A, B, and C. I'm guessing the differences are subtle.

I've read that although the carts are different in size/shape, the games for MPT-03 and Palladium/Polybrain/Etc and others are compatible. If so, does this open up the possibility of some of those games? I realize some are the same games you list but with perhaps an alternate title. I am thinking for example of Devilman.

I've read that although the carts are different in size/shape, the games for MPT-03 and Palladium/Polybrain/Etc and others are compatible. If so, does this open up the possibility of some of those games? I realize some are the same games you list but with perhaps an alternate title. I am thinking for example of Devilman.

I was most of the way through writing the list below, and then found that "Devilman - The Dot Muncher" was listed with Nibblemen. I do have several variations of this game included, which have distinct ROMs (although I haven't investigated them too far): Nibblemen, Crazy Gobbler, Crazy Gobbler[o], and Super Gobbler.

From the Amigan Site, here are the classic ones that don't have an entry in the Emerson family:

3D Soccer - Schmid

Astro Invader - Bandai, Hanimex,Tunix, Schmid

Auto Race - MPT-03

Basketball - MPT-03, Palladium

Battle - Palladium

Blackjack & Poker - MPT-03

Boxing - MPT-03

Circus - MPT-03

Combat - MPT-03

Crazy Climber - MPT-03

Craszy Gobbler - Hanimex, Schmid

Doraemon - Bandai

Dr. Slump - Bandai

Golf - MPT-03

Hobo - Hanimex, Tunix, Schmid

Horse Racing - MPT-03, Palladium

Jump Bug - Bandai, Hanimex, Tunix, Schmid

Mobile Soldier Gundam - Bandai

Monaco Grand Prix - Palladium

Nibblemen - MPT-03, Bandai, Hanimex, Tunix, Schmid

Parashooter - MPT-03

R2D Tank - Bandai, Hanimex, Tunix, Schmid

Robot Killer - MPT-03, Bandai, Hanimex, Schmid

Route 16 - Hanimex, Tunix

Space Squadron - MPT-03, Bandai, Hanimex, Schmid

Super Bug - MPT-03

Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Bandai

The End - Bandai, Hanimex, Tunix, Schmid

Really interested

overall if you are including all the games from the different Arcadia "families" like MPT03, etc

seeing that there are 2 different types (probably more) of cases for Arcadia consoles

-the one with the "lines" on the side (line in on one side, and line out on the other one),

-the one without

which case are you proposing?

and you have 5 families of Arcadia

1. Arcadia/Advision/Leisure Vision/Schmidt TVG2000 / Tele Fever / Tunix

2. MPT03

3.Ormatu

4.Palladium

5.UVI Compu Game /Video Master

the ones I know

exclusive games for

MPT 03: Autorace, Circus, Crazy Climber, Horse Racing, Nibblemen

Ormatu: Parashooter/Parachute

Palladium: Monaco Grand Prix/Video Autorennen, Video Panzerspiele

seeing that there are 2 different types (probably more) of cases for Arcadia consoles

-the one with the "lines" on the side (line in on one side, and line out on the other one),

-the one without

which case are you proposing?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but here's the 3 kinds of cases I have right now:

- Short case with edge of the PCB visible.

- Long case with edge of the PCB visible.

- Long case with a cover over the end of the cartridge, so the edge of the PCB is not visible (this is similar to the cover on some of the older Atari 2600 cartridges).

The multi-cart PCB will fit in any of these cartridges, and I'll be designing labels for both short and long versions.

that is what I mean

I am talking about the slot

the first case is straight rectangular

post-6602-0-85385100-1321129117_thumb.jpg

the second one has a "gutter" on the left and a "footpath" lol, on the right

post-6602-0-43358300-1321129128_thumb.jpg

Interesting. I don't have any with the gutter and footpath yet, but if I get any, it looks like they'll work fine, at least.

The little guide (footpath) was only on the non-US games. I guess it's supposed to be some form of lockout, but it doesn't work since you can still cram it into a Arcadia.

by cutting the footpath off

but the reverse doesnt work, you can't plug a "normal" cartridge into a console with footpath

it has to be considered as the Arcadia is more popular in Europe and here more often it is with footpath

but I suppose the PCb will fit into both cart case, so no problem

Personally I would prefer to use a Tele-fever (a footpath model)

The little guide (footpath) was only on the non-US games. I guess it's supposed to be some form of lockout, but it doesn't work since you can still cram it into a Arcadia.

by cutting the footpath off

but the reverse doesnt work, you can't plug a "normal" cartridge into a console with footpath

it has to be considered as the Arcadia is more popular in Europe and here more often it is with footpath

but I suppose the PCb will fit into both cart case, so no problem

Personally I would prefer to use a Tele-fever (a footpath model)

If you'd like it in a specific cartridge, send me a PM, and you can send the cart to me for assembly.

An update...

Thanks for all the responses so far. I haven't responded to each one individually, but when the product is ready, I'll review this thread and my messages, and send each of you a PM. I am tallying up the totals, to make sure I'll have enough units ready.

I made and tested the prototype. It sure isn't pretty, but it works... one game didn't work, so I'll need to look into that. In a couple of days, I'll start the process to buy PCBs.

I've just (barely) started working on the labels.

Oh on theoldcomputer.com I believe [o] stands for overdump and I'm unsure of. Sometimes [J] and [E] are used as tags for labeling regions...

Overdumps are usually good roms that work, they just have extra garbage data that was transferred when the dumping took place.

If you want to see if I have any Arcadia 2001 roms that differ from your set, send me a pm. What game didn't work right?

Edited by TheGameCollector

Oh on theoldcomputer.com I believe [o] stands for overdump and I'm unsure of. Sometimes [J] and [E] are used as tags for labeling regions...

Overdumps are usually good roms that work, they just have extra garbage data that was transferred when the dumping took place.

If you want to see if I have any Arcadia 2001 roms that differ from your set, send me a pm. What game didn't work right?

That's good information. I'll compare the [o] files to the regular ones, to see if it's just the data at the "end" that is different. If they're the same, I'll insert more demos instead of the overdumps.

The one that didn't work was the version of Crazy Gobbler from theoldcomputer. It works in my emulator, so I need to investigate this further.

An update...

I've sent quote requests to a couple of places for PCB fabrication. I'll order what I think is a "lifetime" supply, or at least pretty close. Extra PCBs don't really cost too much, once you've paid the initial set-up charges. EPROMs and DIP switches have been ordered. For these, I'll have enough parts for all the cartridge housings I have in stock.

TheGameCollector sent me his collection of Arcadia ROM files, which I'll compare with the ones I already have.

I notice that "mothship" is listed as one of the demos that will be included on the multicart. I wrote that bit of code back in 2002. The actual name of the demo is "Mothership." It is called "mothship" to fit the 8.3 DOS convention that was still in common use at the time. I discussed this with the Arcadia 2001 Yahoo Discussion Group back when I was investigating "Space Vultures."

Here is the first posting about it:

Message: 483 From: Adam Trionfo Received: Wed May 15, 2002 7:25 AM

Subject: ''Space Vultures'' Mothership and Exploration

I have taken a careful look at the Space Vultures mothership screenshot from the catalog, and it MAY be faked, but it was done with care- it's more than just MEANT to look real because it certainly uses the Arcadia's built-in character set. I've always agreed with Ward that the mothership stage was finished, but I'm even more convinced now.

Last night I went through with graph paper and looked at the picture and then plotted out, by hand, what the mothership should look like if it were drawn on the Arcadia screen using the character graphics (NOT additional redefined graphics). Here's what I discovered (it's nothing earth shaking- it's just interesting):

1) The mothership doesn't need to use any re-defined characters.

2) The mothership uses legal Arcadia colors: White, Purple, Light Blue, and Black.

3) The mothership is 15 bytes wide by 11 bytes high (in other words, it uses a BIG chunk of the screen- like any good mothership should).

From this I infer that the mothership (like many Arcadia game graphics) was stagnant- it didn't move at all. There are only four objects that move at the same time in 'Space Vultures:' 1) the players ship, 2) bad-guy one 3) bad guy two and 4) a missile (several missiles can be on the screen at once- this helps explain the flicker, though I'm not sure how this would have been done- the missile does move smoothly, it just flickers).

The mothership requires, at minimum, 91 bytes of storage. However, that would require careful coding to get the ship onto the screen. The extra code to get the ship on the screen probably would make the task of saving bytes not worth it, so I presume that 176 bytes were used instead (11 lines down x 16 bytes across - 176 bytes of storage). This would allow the ship to be drawn to the screen with a simple loop moving one byte after the other, it would mean that the stars in the 'background' would be 'part' of the ship, but it wouldn't matter.

I also investigated the ROM to see if the mothership is still in the code (but just isn't used); I could not find it (that doesn't mean it isn't there). I did find some graphics:

Player's Ship: $0BDA-$0BE1

Bad-Guy 1 (Static): $0BF2-$0BF9

Bad-Guy 2: $0CFA-$0C01

Left Wing (Bad-Guy 2): $0C02-$0C09

Right Wing (Bad-Guy 2): $0C0A-$0C11

Any Comments?

Adam

I followed this posting up a four days later with this posting (which is edited for length):

Message: 491 From: Adam Trionfo Received: Sun May 19, 2002 4:29 AM

Subject: Phoenix Mothership ROM

I've made a ROM that has a static picture of the Phoenix mother ship that I based on the catalog picture in the photo section of the discussion group. The ROM runs under the MESS emulator. I've already burned the ROM image to an EPROM and inserted it onto a modified cart that Ward made for me (thanks Ward!); as soon as my Arcadia gets here (I finally bought one on ebay) I will test it on the real hardware.

I want to thank PeT for helping me figure out why my source code wasn't using the 26 charline mode- I just had to change one bit, imagine that! When I've confirmed that the program runs okay on the real hardware I'm going to post the source code- it doesn't have any animation, but it's much more involved than the 'hello' or 'sprite' source that I've put together so far; it's sure to teach any interested person a little bit. The next logical step to this source is to add animation and player control.

Adam

On June 2, 2002 I released the binary and the source code. Here is a posting about that:

Mothership - An Arcadia 2001 Program

By Adam Trionfo - June 9, 2002

------------------------------------

I have uploaded to the Arcadia discussion board the "Space Vultures" level I created that imitates the "Phoenix" mothership stage (I based it on scanned Arcadia screenshot from a catalog). The 27K file is called 'mothship.zip' and can be downloaded from here:

The short description is given in the download area is:

http://groups.yahoo....ssembly_Source/

'Mothership' - Program that displays a re-created screen of the fabled 'Phoenix' mothership from 'Space Vulture.' This compressed file contains the 2650 assembly source code, assembly listing, binary file and a few pdf files for easy printing. This is a great introduction to Arcadia programming."

Here is a better explanation (it's included in the zip file as 'readme.txt'):

It ['Mothership'] is a machine language program that I wrote that runs using the MESS Arcadia emulator or on a real Arcadia 2001 machine. It should work on a PAL machine, but I have no way to test this (I'd be quite interested to hear about this).

When "mothship.bin" is run on a real Arcadia it sometimes comes up in 13-char mode instead of 26-char mode (so, basically, it looks weird). Turning the machine on and off again will fix the problem (this does NOT happen under MESS). It doesn't do this each time, and I'm not sure why it happens (it has something to do with the way I initialize the screen set-up, I'm sure. I would think it should happen every time- but it doesn't). I wanted to fix this quirk before I uploaded this machine language program, but it's been a couple of weeks since I finished this, and I know that the longer I wait, the less of a chance that there is that I will get back to this particular program. Besides I have my eyes set on writing another Arcadia program at the moment.

'Mothership' is contained in the compressed file called 'mothship.zip." The file, when decompressed, contains the following seven files:

1) mothship.asm - The "Mothership" 2650 assembly source file. You can assemble this with the VACS 2650 Cross Assembler. If you want to check out how the Arcadia works, and you need some example code, this is the best place to start. I have commented it well so that it can be followed (and understood) easily. To get the most out of this, you should print the 2650 CPU manual (it is available as a pdf file- but the manual is NOT part of

this archive).

2) mothship.bin - This is the 576 byte Arcadia 'Mothership' program. You will notice that it is quite empty (mostly zeros at the end). That's because I made the screen setup routine as generic as possible- most of the program is screen data, not code. You can run this under MESS, or burn this onto an EPROM and use it on the real machine. I have NOT padded this file with zeros- you may want to do that before burning it to a 4K EPROM (note that I have had no troubles with MESS and unpadded files).

3) mothship.gif - This is a screen shot of 'Mothership' taken using MESS. The screen looks better on the real machine (the proportions are correct), but this gives you a good idea of what to expect when the program is run.

4) mothship-binary.pdf - This is a hex dump of the binary file. It shows all 576 bytes of the 'mothship.bin' file.

5) mothship-listing.pdf - This is the assembly output listing from the VACS 2650 Cross Assembler. For some reason many people ignore these assembly listing files, and look directly at the source code; don't fall into that trap- an assembly output file with no errors is FAR better than the source. That because it's the source AND the binary (plus other helpful cross-reference "stuff"); a listing shows the programmer what he wrote (the source), AND what the 2650 CPU "sees" when it is running the code.

6) mothship-source.pdf - This is the same file as 'mothship.asm,' but with page numbers (handy for printing).

7) readme.txt - This file (and explanation of 'Mothership' and a listing of the programs contained in the zip file).

'Mothership' isn't exciting (it's just a still screen), but it is a new Arcadia program, and that's pretty neat. Now if only there was some movement on the screen...

I want to thank PeT for helping me get this program to use 26-char mode (and for the MESS emulation), Paul Robson for writing the original "technical information about the Emerson Arcadia 2001," Ward Shrake for finding out so much cool "stuff" about the Arcadia systems (and getting it all in one place and in a format that make sense- some feat!) and the Arcadia discussion group for opening my eyes to this cool system. Also, thanks to Signetics/UA LTD. or whoever made this system- it's neat-o; just wish there was some obtainable technical data available for it (specifically for the 2637 chip)-- hint, hint.

I never did fix the "Mothership" demo so that every time it starts-up in the correct mode. However, MOST of the time it starts fine. Even when the demo doesn't start properly it is just in low-res and doesn't look right-- it still looks, uh, interesting. Someone on the Arcadia 2001 discussion group pointed out four years later (in 2006) what probably was wrong with the code, but I never got around to fixing it myself. It's possible that it was fixed by someone else. A file comparison between my original "Mothership" binary file (linked to above) and the one ready for inclusion on the multicart would say for sure if anyone fixed the demo.

I hope that this information helps in some way. Good luck with the multicart!

Adam

Hello all, I represent Amigan Software. I hope I can be of assistance with your project.

[O] is overdump (ie. the game plus junk) and is underdump (ie. just part of the game). There is no point in including those on the multicart.

Likewise I see little point in including obsolete versions of Frogger and JTron, they are basically the same as the newer versions but with more bugs :-) I would suggest instead including additional examples and demos.

Hello all, I represent Amigan Software. I hope I can be of assistance with your project.

[O] is overdump (ie. the game plus junk) and is underdump (ie. just part of the game). There is no point in including those on the multicart.

Likewise I see little point in including obsolete versions of Frogger and JTron, they are basically the same as the newer versions but with more bugs :-) I would suggest instead including additional examples and demos.

Thanks for your support. Amigan is a great source of information and ROMs for the Arcadia, and I'm glad you approve. The manuals and playing guides will be of great use, too, of course. I definitely won't include the [o] and especially the games, and I'll consider replacing the older versions of Frogger and JTron. I need to have another serious look at the file list, obviously, with these changes.