IGNORED

Arcadia 2001 Multicart - 2011 version - any interest?

5-11under

• 1 month later...

I own an Emersion Arcadia 2001. Is the Multicart for the system still in production? It would be nice if a blank SD card version existed, then one could copy and paste public domain ROM images from certain websites to the SD card. Or at least a USB port on the multi-cart so that one can add games. Maybe no one is making third party games for the Arcadia 2001 anymore since not that many systems were sold back in the early 80’s. Also, it sounds like this multi-cart uses dip switches for bank switching instead of an onscreen menu?

Any information on this product would be greatly appreciated.

Is the Emersion Arcadia 2001 Multicart for the system still in production?

I think that the following Arcadia multicart (which has nothing to do with me) is still available... (like all of the Arcadia multicarts, it uses DIP switches, not an onscreen menu):

I get the occasional request for information on the Arcadia multicart, so here's a summary, in case you don't want to read all 10 pages...

Games included:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189779-arcadia-2001-multicart-2011-version-any-interest/?p=2546268

Pictures of the long and short versions (the only difference is the shell size):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189779-arcadia-2001-multicart-2011-version-any-interest/?p=2558175

Difference from Ward Shrake's versions:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189779-arcadia-2001-multicart-2011-version-any-interest/?p=2561427

Current price:

$100 US to Canada/USA addresses, $105 to most other locations. Shipped via airmail. Payment via PayPal.

If you get an Arcadia multicart, then you should try your hand in the Arcadia High Score Club.

Adam

• Like 1

I was looking for a blank multi-cart that one could add games by SD card or by USB flash card means. I never owned a multi-cart where the public domain games are pre-installed and instead of an onscreen menu one has to select dip switches to change games. On such a system there is no possibility of adding games to the system, however maybe no one is making new games for the Arcadia 2001 and that is not an issue.

I guess I should be thankful that someone developed a multi-cart for the Arcadia 2001, the system was not that popular and not that many systems were sold.

If I purchase a multi-cart I would want to get the short version of the cartridge since the short version has all the same games as the long version, and the advantage of the short version is it matches the standard size of the Arcadia 2001 cartridges that I already own. How do I go about purchasing this product? Do I go to a certain website or do I need to send someone a private message requesting a PAYPAL invoice to be sent to me?

If I purchase a multi-cart I would want to get the short version of the cartridge since the short version has all the same games as the long version, and the advantage of the short version is it matches the standard size of the Arcadia 2001 cartridges that I already own. How do I go about purchasing this product? Do I go to a certain website or do I need to send someone a private message requesting a PAYPAL invoice to be sent to me?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189779-arcadia-2001-multicart-2011-version-any-interest/?p=3790280

I was looking for a blank multi-cart that one could add games by SD card or by USB flash card means. [...] maybe no one is making new games for the Arcadia 2001 and that is not an issue.

Sure, there are Arcadia homebrew games and other programming examples (for various 2650 CPU systems) here:

https://amigan.yatho.com/examples.rar

There are several complete Arcadia games in the above link, plus many examples of how to program for the Arcadia. Some of these games are on the various multicarts that have been released over the pass fifteen years, but some are not. I'm not aware of any SD carts for the Arcadia 2001/MPT-03 system, although if one existed then I'd purchase it in an instant for my own 2650 experiments on the Arcadia. Even if the SD cart could only load one ROM image at a time-- that would still be pretty great for homebrewers.

Round 7 of the Arcadia high score club is a catch up round. All of the previous six games that we've played so far (since October when we started the HSC) are in play right now, here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273285-catch-up-round-for-arcadia-2001-high-score-club-season-1-round-7/

Even if you only have a few Arcadia cartridge games, then you should check it out. Maybe you have one you can play along with us already. Also, playing Arcadia games under emulation (either with older versions of MESS, current versions of MAME or WinArcadia) is perfectly acceptable too.

Adam

Balltalley, I guess one needs to download a Windows emulation program to use the rom image in the link you provided. I have not gotten around to running an Arcadia 2001 emulation program on my 64-bit Windows PC yet.

Perhaps it is much more difficult to develop a SD cartridge or USB programmable cartridge for the Arcadia 2001. A SD cartridge would be ideal, however even a 128-in-1 USB flash cartridge would be fine for the Arcadia 2001. The advantage of SD cartridge is that games larger then 32KB could be used and also any operating system with a SD card slot can copy and paste rom images that one created themselves or downloaded from a public domain website. I would also purchase a SD cartridge or USB flash cartridge version for the Arcadia 2001 if it was every released. Having an onscreen menu with the ability to delete and add rom images is ideal.

Is everyone that owns an Arcadia 2001 still using the RF channel 3 and 4 output? Has anyone modified their Arcadia 2001 for HDMI, VGA, RGB, component video, S-Video, or composite video? In theory maybe one of the S-Video kits or composite video kits for the ColecoVision might be able to be modified to work with the Arcadia 2001. Somewhere on the Arcadia 2001 circuit board must be a composite video signal that can be tapped into before the composite video signal is handed off to the RF modulator. Since the video and audio is separated composite video offers better picture and sound quality when compared to the combined video/audio that is modulated on NTSC channel 3 or 4.

The main controllers are hardwired into the Arcadia 2001. However there are two optional unused controller ports on the back of the Arcadia 2001. As far as I am aware no company or individual has attempted to create games for those unused controller ports on the back. Maybe Emersion was going to come out with paddles for special games, however since the system went out of production 18 months after the release date, that concept to use some type of special optional controllers was scrapped.

Just to note, there might be a newly preserved game on future Multicart runs:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268846-the-last-undumped-game-3d-attack-emerson-arcadia-2001gig-leonardo/?hl=3d attack

Thanks for the information. And this is another reason why someone should develop a Ultimate SD cartridge Wafer Drive for the Arcadia 2001. Having to purchase a new multi-cart for around $110 every time a new rom image is released does not make sense. Selling a blank SD cartridge for the Arcadia 2001 and then having consumers downloading public domain rom images from a website is ideal. That way they can delete and add as many games as they want on a SDHC card that holds 32GB of space (can be found under $10 or $12.50+ for the higher end faster cards).

Edited by HDTV1080P

3D Attack will be included in the next version.

There are other threads that have information on video mods, and perhaps speculation on controllers... .

That is cool if 3D attack is included on the next mult-cart. I have not used my Arcadia 2001 that much (I bought it back in the 80's). I guess I should search the threads for information on video modifications and theories about the unused controller ports.

Just to note, there might be a newly preserved game on future Multicart runs:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268846-the-last-undumped-game-3d-attack-emerson-arcadia-2001gig-leonardo/?hl=3d attack

It is my understanding that all the cartridge rom sizes for the Arcadia 2001 games were between 2K and 8K. Has any homebrew games been made that is larger than 8K by using some type of special bank switching technology (The ColecoVision released back in 1982 had 32KB size cartridges)?

Another issue I noticed is the Arcadia 2001 game cartridges I own are in a smaller size plastic case, however the picture of the 3D Attack game has a much taller plastic game cartridge case. Why where some games using cartridges that were much taller when compared to the average Arcadia 2001 cartridge? Was the taller cartridges capably of much more storage space, or was it just a unique look to have a taller cartridge?

Now I understand why 5-11under is offering a long and short version of the cartridge shell for the multi-cart (some collectors prefer the short version while others prefer the long version).

It looks like most games and possible all games for the Arcadia 2001 had controller overlays. Does any company make replacement game overlays for the Arcadia 2001?

Edited by HDTV1080P

So I believe it was found that the Jacks on the back of the Arcadia don't have enough connections to be able to support any kind of controller....even a paddle.

Not all the games came with overlays, a few had none and a couple had only 1.

I believe the games in the long carts had extra chips that required the extra space. Quite a few games came in the long ones....must be a coincidence you only have short ones.

The cart shells were made from repurposing the molds for the apf cart shells...which also had short and long carts. The apf console mold was also repurposed to make the Arcadia console shells.

More proof that ual was a cheap low budget company trying to enter the game with a system they could make and distribute as cheap as possible.

Many or most (perhaps even all) of the questions that have been brought up in the last few posts have been answered by Ward Shrake back in the early 2000s. Luckily, all of the information that he wrote-up is easy to find in the links I've provided below. The first two links are essential reading. I've recently printed them both out and re-read them; they're true information goldmines. Here are links to most of it:

1) Ward Shrake's Arcadia 2001: FAQ (Version 2.99h -- June 4, 2002) - This fifteen year old document might seem outdated, but for nearly everything in it, it is still the most up-to-date resource. Many of the questions that people have brought up in the last several posts here are answered in this well-written FAQ.

http://www.orphanedgames.com/DigitalArchaeologyArcadia2001/texts/2001-faq.htm

2) Arcadia 2001 Section from DP Collector's Guide - "Director's Cut" of Ward Shrake's console group section, as submitted to the editors of Digital Press for inclusion in their seventh edition of the "Digital Press Collector's Guide." (In Microsoft Word format)

http://www.orphanedgames.com/DigitalArchaeologyArcadia2001/texts/dp2001dc.doc

3) Various Arcadia-Related Documents - There are many other files related to the Arcadia 2001 console group from Ward's Digital Archaeology: Arcadia 2001 website:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/DigitalArchaeologyArcadia2001/links.htm

Here are a couple of quick overview answers to a few recently brought up questions and comments:

1) 3D Space Attack - This recently-dumped, Zaxxon-type game (in look only), is truly rare, but it is also truly unplayable. I don't mean it doesn't work at all, it's just too hard! It works on an NTSC system, but it plays way too fast. I played this game with a friend under emulation. In order to make any progress at all, we had to play it in PAL mode and constantly use save states. It's no wonder this wasn't released the world over. Despite that, it's a must-see title, as it must be among the last games made for the Arcadia/MPT-03 platform and it looks fantastic!

2) Arcadia 2001 Controller Port - This port, which isn't supported by any game, can only read a pot (i.e. a paddle). Ward wrote a detailed article/FAQ about this port, but I can't find it right now.

3) Composite Signal - Ward was able to get a composite signal rather easily off the Canadian Arcadia (the Leisure-Vision). He explains this in some detail on the Arcadia Yahoo group. Search through there and you'll find that information. In my experience, the Arcadia's RF signal is pretty good, so you don't need to use a composite signal. Still, if one was easily available, then I'd surely use it.

4) Long vs. Short Cartridges - As was previously stated, the APF system uses short carts for all of it's games except the last one, Space Destroyers (a very good, early, Space Invaders clone). The Arcadia uses these exact same cartridge molds. Some of the Arcadia games use longer PCBs, but most didn't need the extra space the longer cartridge provided. Despite not requiring longer carts, it seems that the Arcadia games used whichever cartridge shell were on-hand and easily available. For that reason, most games can be found in the long and short cartridge releases. If you can manage it, seek out the long cartridges; I prefer them, as the art is cropped on the short cartridges.

5) Bankswitched Cartridges - Technically, there are bankswitched cartridges on the Arcadia, but they don't provide more than 8K of ROM space. The early 8K games use a scheme with a transistor that allows some sort of bankswitching for a total of 8K of space. I don't know the details of that method. Also, Golf and the dictionary cartridge use different bankswitching methods. However, as far as I'm aware, there are no homebrew games that use more than 8K of ROM space using a modern bankswitching scheme. Even if such a cartridge PCB existed, you need a group of programmers to start programming for the Arcadia; an unlikely situation.

6) Flash Cartridges - I like using multicarts that use DIP switches. I actually personally prefer DIP switches to a game selection menu. Why add an extra step like a menu to the process of playing a game? However, I have quite a few flash cartridges for various systems (notable many for the Atari 8-bit home computers). For a console or computer with hundreds or thousands of games and an active homebrew community, flash cartridges are an ideal "fix" for constantly updating game libraries. However, the Arcadia 2001's game library is relatively fixed. Unlike the Atari 2600 homebrew scene, there are not near-monthly homebrew releases, nor are new undumped cartridges being constantly found. Don't get me wrong, I'd snap up an Arcadia 2001 flash cart in moments (for personal homebrew development use, actually), but with the Arcadia/MPT-03's user base being so small, I'd be pretty surprised if a flash cart was ever released for this console. Still, if one get made, then-- uh, let me know!

This post turned out far longer than I expected. It's probably going to be lost in this really long thread. Maybe I should post it here and then repost it (slightly edited ) in it's own thread...?

Adam

• Like 2

I was not aware some titles came in both a short and long style. I thought they were either 1 or the other. Except for the tunix where all carts are long.

Anybody have pics of an Emerson title with both sizes of the same game?

The APF M/MP-1000 console used short cartridges, except for Space Destroyers, which had extra memory and required the extra space of a long cartridge shell. Somewhere along the way (after APF went out of business), it seems that Emerson acquired the molds to the console and the cartridges, which is why the Arcadia 2001 has an almost identical shell to the M/MP-1000. I'm not aware of any rhyme or reason as to why the Arcadia 2001 uses short or long cartridges. I think it was a matter of what was available on hand, since the same game can sometimes be found in both shell sizes, meaning I don't think it necessarily comes down to PCB size like it did with APF's Space Destroyers.

EDIT: Just realized this is duplicate info. Ignore.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...