IGNORED

Callisto

snicklin

I apologise if somebody else has mentioned this before, but take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEkj1AMANQc&feature=feedu

TMR (Jason Kelk) has programmed this. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to see it at the Replay event today in Blackpool, UK.

Those sprites are beautiful, all using only 1 colour.

• Like 2

If any of you are at U.K. near and go there, hopefully by now you can play it (I hope T.M.R. get all working on time):

Replay Expo is the unique video gaming event that prides itself in celebrating both the classics as well as the very latest titles. Following the success of last year’s debut show, Replay Expo will return to the Norbreck Castle Exhibition Centre in Blackpool on the 5/6 November 2011; the final weekend of the famous Illuminations.

This year’s event will expand into additional halls, meaning 5000+ gamers will have access to even more arcade machines, pinball tables, consoles and home computers.

In keeping with the inaugural event there will be an equal emphasis on families as well as hardcore gamers: an increase in the number of junior tournaments throughout the weekend will ensure there is something for everyone, young and old.

If any of you go there, why not say us something (a Phone picture, video,...)

Only one more screen/level that was shown:

post-6517-0-15711300-1320504358_thumb.png

Good work Jason!. Just as the old Atari style programming.

Still those sprites are not multiplexed, i wondered if more sprites coming on next levels.

However, is a right step for Atari shooters.

I also wondered if we must go for free or for paid...

Something we/I really have to ask.... I have to ask...

Or maybee you can answer, or not!,,,

By the way, what's tjhe prize of this year ABBUC prize?

Oh my god... If I ever, one day, one year win this this 'sh....' of the ABBUC contest I would certainly gave the Money to some poor guys that probably are in some bad problems that need this....

ABBBUC this year prize offers what? What's the prize?

I will laught when some people work hard ;) for Months and then Europe and all that stuff we know the ABBUC contest will only gave them a smalll, just a small....

This is what we like... this is ot to win money :)

By the way, Last Ninja would certainly win, win, LN win, certainly win,.... as long you, not you, indeed me, if I pay between 600->1200$ then you probably have it...

Come on guys... If I am sincerily and say I need money would ou ever contribute to me?

To answer a few questions in one pass:

Nice one Jase, any pick ups?

No, i was on a tight deadline so it's my regular "one ship against the universe with enough firepower already" scenario... that's not to say it couldn't be implemented (the bullets are already character-generated) but the engine would need work to make things more busy and all the wave data then requires retooling to fit/allow for changes in weapon power. Right now i'm just planning to get this one finished and released in it's current configuration, after that i don't know yet...

Wow, looks great especailly the rocky walls - is this on standard a8 hardware (hope so) ?

;-)

It should run on any 48K Atari 8-bit yes, no extra hardware is required and yesterday the preview was running from an SIO2SD on my stock 800XL at Replay for people to play (Saturday we had snicklin's Space Harrier cartridge in the machine for most of the day and Mightly Jill Off for the rest).

Good work Jason!. Just as the old Atari style programming.

Still those sprites are not multiplexed, i wondered if more sprites coming on next levels.

However, is a right step for Atari shooters.

The sprites are actually multiplexed and there's three or four places in the video where there'd be five or sometimes six enemies in motion if i wasn't blowing them to bits. The engine itself can handle a maximum six 10 by 18 pixel enemies with three on a scanline because the fourth object is dedicated to the player ship player ship.

Two questions that weren't asked above but i suspect will be soon are:

"When will it be released?"

Right now there are all four levels in (they use about 252 of the 256 possible tiles so there's no room for anything more) but only three are populated with enemies and everything still needs balancing. It was supposed to be finished for release during Replay, but things went awry last week when i got just a little poorly and right now i can't do the work because i'm unable to open one eye (which in turn reduces the ability of the other to function correctly) and won't know how i stand on restoring "normal services" until i get to hospital tomorrow-ish. But it's one of my first priorities after i can see straight and my next Retro Gamer deadline is dealt with.

"How much will it cost?

Nothing, standard Cosine "policy" applies so free distribution from our website at launch with permission to add it to Atarimania, Fandal's site, Homesoft disks and so on. There might be real media releases in Callisto's future but nobody's asked to date and they won't affect it being distributed freely. When it happens, news will be posted here, Oldschool Gaming and all good bookshops. Or perhaps not the bookshops.

• Like 3

(the bullets are already character-generated)

Good idea using the characters for the bullets and using missiles for players instead. Works out good since bullets are fast moving, so character movement is tolerable, and players get smooth movement without all the bit-shifting and memory cost. You also get more colors and wider bullets this way.

Are you using single-pixel horizontal variation for bullet position? It's a little hard to tell in the video.

No pick ups :)

Never mind, its looks great, no matter how over the years I take the pee sometimes I always admire the work that goes into your products, and nice to see Sean still rolling out music.

Cheers on a cold old Monday morning..I don't work, why the hell am I up at 7am ? :)

First of all, I'd love to give a great big thank you to both Jason and Sean (and I met both of them) for creating this wonderful new game.

Jason, outside of you two, was I the first AtariAger to play this game? My comments on it are/were that it's a very good game and feels quite like Zybex to me (which was a fantastic game itself). However Jason has gone further with the PMGs than they ever did in Zybex as that was all character based. I did find the difficulty level a little high, but I must admit that I was hung over from the previous day after having 8 beers, the last one of which I won by winning the After Show party's Retro Gaming quiz (it helps by having a Retro Gamer writer - Andy Fisher - on your team). So to say I was a bit absent on the morning is an understatement. Jason told me that he's still to work on refining the difficulty level.

Jose, sorry I didn't get you a video, I've seen this site after leaving the show. I'm sure that there'll be a lot of videos on the internet. I was going to take some videos on the 2nd day but left my phone in the car by accident!

Are you using single-pixel horizontal variation for bullet position? It's a little hard to tell in the video.

No, for speed they're just characters being stepped one cell per frame (with a "tilt" when the smooth scroll finishes it's cycle and resets so they don't jump) same as i'd do elsewhere.

Jason, outside of you two, was I the first AtariAger to play this game?

i think so yes, groovybee didn't have a proper play until after you if memory serves.

Jason told me that he's still to work on refining the difficulty level.

Yeah, that's the last job in once the waves are in place; every enemy specifies how many hits it needs to be destroyed, some have to be bumped up because they're "blockers", others need tuning down because they're not meant to be as difficult as they are right now.

First of all, I'd love to give a great big thank you to both Jason and Sean (and I met both of them) for creating this wonderful new game.

Never met Sean (knowingly, scene places you meet many folks, too many to remember) but I know Jason, we used to work for the same company, but he was the bright one, I was the handsome one... :)

Really nice bloke although me and my mate Kev did take the pee a LOT...

(not seen Kev or Brian in years)

Seriously tho Jase, looking forward to the finished article, may you carry on turning bits out on the A8 with the same zeal and quality as the C64 stuff you have done.

Cheers...