IGNORED

Boulder Dash(R) Label Contest!

Albert

OK, we have a winner. I'm hoping Al will make an announcement in the next few hours -- but I do know he's incredibly busy getting everything ready for Christmas.

Soooo.... I'll take the liberty of making the announcement myself within 24 hours, if Al hasn't made the announcement by then. Just trying to lighten his workload :)

Watch this space!

Any chance we'll be able to get some insight on the deliberation process and who the final 3 or 4 were? And what aspect edged the winning entry to the top? I'm always curious about stuff like that (or maybe I've been watching too many Food Network shows... Next Iron Chef/Next Food Network Star/Chopped...)

Congratulations to the winner. I figured it out too. :)

Edited by Emehr

Any chance we'll be able to get some insight on the deliberation process and who the final 3 or 4 were?

As the entries were coming in, Thomas and I corresponded about those that caught our eye. Our favourites changed several times.

Once the competition deadline had passed, we started discussing the entries, as a group.

We first discussed if there were any entries which should not be considered due to any legal factors. There were none.

We then broadly categorised entries into "genre"; there were a few basic groupings that Thomas and I in particular were not keen about.

Thomas and I seemed to have very similar ideas about what we wanted. Based on this I selected a "top 11" which were our preferred candidates.

There was a secondary group of "possibles" and a tertiary group of "we really don't want these".

This categorised list of labels was then presented to FSS and Albert with our indication that the first group was our preference.

FSS indicated their preferred list of labels. Most were in the first group, with a few in the second group.

We agreed that, as Thomas and I were not keen about the third group, this group were not considered any further.

I then listed my top 5, with a detailed explanation of why each one was selected. My top 5 contained 4 of FSS's preferences.

Then FSS indicated their top 3, Thomas indicated his top 3 and Albert did the same, all with discussion about why each was a good choice.

We discussed the contest itself, and what it represented -- which was a key part to selecting the winner.

In the end, the winning label was #1 on three of our lists, and #3 on the other. Our reasons for selection were quite surprising to me.

The exact order of the events above is basically correct, but not exact.

That's all I really want to say about the process, at least until the winner is announced.

Trust Thomas to throw in a little bit of deception right at the end, though!

• Like 1

Dang! I've gone over the labels three times and I can't figure out the winner based on that little square. :mad: I guess I'll have to wait until the announcement.

Well, I thought I knew who it was but Andrew mentioned "deception" so now I'm second-guessing myself. :lol: I brought the little square into Photoshop along with the entry that I thought was the winner and now they don't quite match up. Hmmm.

Dang! I've gone over the labels three times and I can't figure out the winner based on that little square. :mad: I guess I'll have to wait until the announcement.

Well, I thought I knew who it was but Andrew mentioned "deception" so now I'm second-guessing myself. :lol: I brought the little square into Photoshop along with the entry that I thought was the winner and now they don't quite match up. Hmmm.

You know I like it extra hard. That's why I rotated it. :evil:

I know Al is very busy with a move, and I also know people are hanging on this announcement.

So, with apologies to Al for bypassing the official announcement, I thought it prudent to do as promised...

...and the winner is....

André Bolfing (Entry #1)

BoulderDash_AndreBolfing_front_1.jpg

Heartfelt congratulations from Richard (FSS), Al (AtariAge), Thomas and myself for the unique label you have designed!

Some of our comments when judging...

Now, André's entry (which almost looks like it was drawn with color pencils) is fairly unique. I love the depth of the label, with the passages, the glowing amoeba lurking below, the butterfly, and even some indestructible blocks up above.

Well, this one is unique. Although I'm not a big fan of the depiction of Rockford, the diamonds, and the butterfly, I just love the 3D look and depth of this, not to mention the perspective (which is mostly a spherical projection similar to M.C.Escher drawings). I love looking side-on to the middle (where Rockford is) and straight down into the shafts and down to the amoeba at the bottom. It's very clever, and IMHO rather grows on you. I also like the colours; very underground-y. There's another side to why I like this; although some of the other selections are so good that they're effectively professional, this one is most definitely "homebrew". I would like to think we were genuine when we put this competition up with the claim that any entry could win.

So, I'm saying there are elements in this that I'm a bit so-so about -- but I wouldn't change even those. Because it's a bit of art and has some intrinsic value as the artist has presented it. The more I consider this one, the more it grows on me.

In years to come, I'm sure I'd go "that was a pretty unique label".

So it seems to me that the winner is André Bolfing #1 with 3 of us voting for him as our #1 choice!

Looks to me like André Bolfing is our winner, too! Wow, I didn't expect that :)