Gaztee

Got mine today! Very impressive package, kudos to Matthias and all involved.

It took a few games but I'm enjoying trying to figure out where the purple "M" power ups are to jump to the next level quickly. Not great for high scores but it's great for advancing levels. I even put up a (crappy) score on the high score table.

Made the ST mouse adapter for this game and have been testing it out.

post-25413-0-42656700-1355835065_thumb.png

If you're like me and can't quite get a good balance for your rotary (precision vs fast movement) this might be a better option. Playing with an ST mouse you can have the sensitivity set to 1 or 2 but the top speed of the bat movement is not capped the same way as it is with higher settings suitable for rotaries and as a result feels very natural (and if you're used to playing Impulse on the Falcon or the game that inspired it, "Impact" on the ST, it would!). So far mouse was winning as best controller option. Then I tried my "The Best Trackball" (ST/Amiga switchable) - and for me the game really came to life and the scores went up with it. I've also got a Golden Image trackball and a modified VCS trackball, so I'll give those a try out as well, but as both work well as a mouse on the ST I can't see them not doing just as good here.

Made the ST mouse adapter for this game and have been testing it out.

post-25413-0-42656700-1355835065_thumb.png

If you're like me and can't quite get a good balance for your rotary (precision vs fast movement) this might be a better option. Playing with an ST mouse you can have the sensitivity set to 1 or 2 but the top speed of the bat movement is not capped the same way as it is with higher settings suitable for rotaries and as a result feels very natural (and if you're used to playing Impulse on the Falcon or the game that inspired it, "Impact" on the ST, it would!). So far mouse was winning as best controller option. Then I tried my "The Best Trackball" (ST/Amiga switchable) - and for me the game really came to life and the scores went up with it. I've also got a Golden Image trackball and a modified VCS trackball, so I'll give those a try out as well, but as both work well as a mouse on the ST I can't see them not doing just as good here.

Thats right, mouse is the way to go for this type of game. If you have the ability create your own mouseadapter and find an ST or Amiga mouse. We always tried to convince Matthias to do a Limited Edition version with a mouse included, but it was to complicated to find them. Never liked the rotary myself, not on Tempest and not on this game.

Edited by Duranik
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've worn through quite a few STM1 mice over the years, but now the Falcon is going to have to make do with one for a while because the trackball is staying plugged into port 2 of my jaguar. Next I think I should try out the PEST and possibly JEST (if that's doable) and see how I go with those.

Yeah, I've worn through quite a few STM1 mice over the years, but now the Falcon is going to have to make do with one for a while because the trackball is staying plugged into port 2 of my jaguar. Next I think I should try out the PEST and possibly JEST (if that's doable) and see how I go with those.

Ooh - great thinking. I have a PEST.

OK, after having played this a lot over the last couple of days, learning quite a bit about the game, here's my top three tips:

3. Play Easy mode if you're playing to get the level unlock codes, they are the same as Normal, and seeing that end screen after level 40 (which has the best music of the game, btw) is just as rewarding which ever mode you play in. I wish they were called Normal and Hard - I find Easy to be a more enjoyable game, but I'm probably just getting old for super sharp reaction stuff... I just don't like knowing I'm playing on "easy" :lol: Of course, finding the purple power-ups is just as essential for level progress rather than score.

2. Some power ups stack - MAGIC followed by GLUE can be devastating.

1. Make a mouse adapter and play with mouse! Do it... now!

• Like 1

Thats right, mouse is the way to go for this type of game. If you have the ability create your own mouseadapter and find an ST or Amiga mouse. We always tried to convince Matthias to do a Limited Edition version with a mouse included, but it was to complicated to find them. Never liked the rotary myself, not on Tempest and not on this game.

i am currently using one of starcat's mouse adapters and a ps2 to Amiga converter and a ps2 hp optical mouse, works well, only problem is that if you move it too quick from left to right i don't think the jaguar processes the mouse inputs fast enough or impulse doesn't poll the port fast enough and the bat actually moves in the opposite diction. bit annoying when that causes you to die.

i am currently using one of starcat's mouse adapters and a ps2 to Amiga converter and a ps2 hp optical mouse, works well, only problem is that if you move it too quick from left to right i don't think the jaguar processes the mouse inputs fast enough or impulse doesn't poll the port fast enough and the bat actually moves in the opposite diction. bit annoying when that causes you to die.

Setting the movement to 1 might help, but even with the Amiga converter, your optical mouse might just be too high dpi for this kind of thing really - that left = right thing is the usual kind of symptom. Thinking back, jumping up to 300 dpi mice was too big a step for me after being used to the ST-M for so many years (was the ST mouse around or under 200 dpi? I really can't remember) and it made working in Degas pretty uncomfortable for a while.

• Like 1

(was the ST mouse around or under 200 dpi? I really can't remember)
I'm not sure about the STM1's resolution ; on this page they claim that a 200 dpi mouse is the same sensitivity as the STM1, but that another one that claims to be 200 dpi too is more sensitive. So it's probably 200 dpi or less.

It also matches the info found in the Atari ST's IKBD (keyboard and mouse controller) documentation :

The mouse port should be capable of supporting a mouse with resolution of approximately 200 counts (phase changes or 'clicks') per inch of travel. The mouse should be scanned at a rate that will permit accurate tracking at velocities up to 10 inches per second.

Using a mouse with too high a resolution on the ST definitely causes the same symptom: backwards and erratic cursor movement when you move the mouse too fast.

• Like 3

I'm not sure about the STM1's resolution ; on this page they claim that a 200 dpi mouse is the same sensitivity as the STM1, but that another one that claims to be 200 dpi too is more sensitive. So it's probably 200 dpi or less.

This really bothered me as I thought it was way too high but couldn't support it. So I dug out lots of Atari User/ST Format issues and still came empty handed. Then after a bit of googling I came across the Falcon dev docs which state (page 5):

Mouse: 100 DPI mouse supplied as standard

Pretty safe to assume they're talking about the STM1 :).

• Like 4

Yes, 100 DPI it is Also if you are using a PeST adapter or similar and an optical mouse, or even a good wheel mouse, Impulse is very hard to control on the falcon. You can also see the effect of the bat jumping back if you move it too fast. It's a game that's definitely made for STM1 (btw why the 1, they never released 2).

Yes, 100 DPI it is Also if you are using a PeST adapter or similar and an optical mouse, or even a good wheel mouse, Impulse is very hard to control on the falcon. You can also see the effect of the bat jumping back if you move it too fast. It's a game that's definitely made for STM1 (btw why the 1, they never released 2).

They reached perfection at the first attempt and knew that, in typical Atari fashion, they might want to ruin things at a later date ;-)

• Like 1

At the moment, but if you wait I gather there is a US dealer waiting on a delivery.

I would suggest support your local ( as in US local) retailer... but it's xmas so support your European cousins.

Seriously tho, you should be able to order from the US ina bout a week I believe from http://console5.com/store/, anything else you can get from me..... trackball etc !!!!

Nick

16/32 Systems