Gaztee

Hello!

This may be a stupid question... but will the cart release have any issues running on an NTSC Jag?

There should be no problems when running Impulse X with a NTSC setup, i had 2 people from USA (NTSC area) in my team to avoid any issues. But because NTSC offers less videoscanlines compared with PAL, some Impulse X screens might appear a bit vertically stretched.

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello!

Will the Impulse X cartridge release also have BJL included with it? If so and if it beats Protector SEs price then it would be the cheapest upload alternative for the Jag short of buying a CD player or modifying your Jaguar.

Both games included in the cartridge (Impulse X and DF#1) offer the 8bit-BJL-receiver, but only in their option menus, so this might not be very convenient for developers.

Kind regards

Matthias

Edited by Matthias

Hello all!

I do have reserved one copy of the Impulse X cartridge reserved for all those people who got a place on my Excel list confirmed, i am just very slow in getting in contact with you to manage the purchase, sorry for this.

To those of you who are on the list and haven't heard from me yet:

Please let me know if you are still interested to buy the cartridge from me, or if you prefer to buy (or already have bought) from a vendor because i can then free your reserved copy, thanks!

Kind regards

Matthias

• 2 weeks later...

My cartridge of Impulse X arrived yesterday from Console5. It only took about 9 days to ship from the central USA to British Columbia, which I thought was exceptionally fast. Packages usually take 2 to 3 weeks with border checks, and sometimes longer.

I think I will write up a detailed review in a few days. I have to say that the production quality is superb: the cardboard box and manual are a bit thicker stock than usual, and the colour printing is excellent. very nicely done - and there was even an "Atomic Fireball" jawbreaker included(?).

I spent about an hour playing Impulse X, plus a few minutes at Reversi and Connect 4. The game(s) looks very polished and professional. The input for my ProController is good. I tried the shoulder buttons, but I think I prefer the D-pad. I don't have a rotary controller but it looks like the game is set up to handle these very well, with a nice, detailed configuration screen for these devices.

I do find the game to be fairly tough to play. It seems to me that on a lot of the screens (particularly the 2nd one) that there is a 'magic' brick hidden away, and if you hit the magic brick you can teleport to the next level. After an hour of play last night I was only able to make it to about the 5th screen (and that was on the 'easy' screen) with a high score of about 21,000. It will take me a lot of practice to make it to the end!

Overall I am very pleased.

post-8320-0-38188400-1386776779_thumb.jpg

Hell I've never ran into the damn magic brick. Or any damn magic brick. Damn.

On the second screen, there is a red brick at the bottom of the V-shaped trough. If you hit that, a prize pops out that is a 'magic' jump to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am ready to buy NOW... PLEASE let me know how much / what to do.

Go here for the Cartridge version:

http://console5.com/store/impulse-x-cart.html

The Cart version is $87.95 plus shipping.

"Units on Hand: 12"

Go here for the Jag CD version:

http://console5.com/store/software/atari-games/atari-jaguar-cd-games/impulse-x-cd.html

It is only $32.95, with 4 copies available.

Great game if you are into Arkanoid or Breakout.

Personally I think it is better than a lot of the commercial Jaguar releases!

Edited by ls650

Guys, just got the game in the mail today (shows how fast the response time is).

I can't express this enough, but this is ABSOLUTELY one of my favorite games on the Jaguar. I've basically got every single Jaguar game... except GORF, that $5,000 one (Battlesphere?), and Elusia (sp?) that I missed the run on. I will tell you, hands down... this game is immediately within my top 5 Jaguar games.

Never mind that the box, the manual, and the cartridge are all perfect (like as if it actually came from Atari)... but the game itself is superb. I totally suck at it... I couldn't even get past the first level (yet)... but it worked perfect with my Jaguar rotary controller. I am a huge fan of Arkanoid, and this game really lives up to everything I was looking for.

I have Breakout 2000, and nothing against Breakout 2000... but Arkanoid was always what I REALLY wanted with that game... I fnally have it with Impulse-X.

For anyone here who is actually considering buying a home-brew... I will tell you, this is definitely one homebrew game that I'm going to play for a LONG, LONG, time.

I may even order a second one in case I end up wearing this one out (seriously considering).

Quick question, the cartridge weighs nearly twice what my others do... is there anything special about this cartridge?

Anyway... thanks for the quick shipping... this game is totally awesome. I had to stop playing just so I could rush on here and post about it.

• Like 3

I wanted to add a bit more to this (as I've spent the past several hours playing it). I noticed all of the screenshots that I've seen here in this thread, show the video to be boxed... meaning, there is a huge buffer area on the left and right side. This is NOT the case for me.

I'm using a 51" wide-screen HD NTSC television (using the Jaguar S-Video connector) and I see everything in full-screen without any side buffers or black areas. The game takes up my entire screen like all the other Jaguar games do. Not sure why everyone else's screen shots and videos don't look like mine, but mine look fine.

Love playing this with the rotary controller...

I wanted to add a bit more to this (as I've spent the past several hours playing it). I noticed all of the screenshots that I've seen here in this thread, show the video to be boxed... meaning, there is a huge buffer area on the left and right side. This is NOT the case for me.

I'm using a 51" wide-screen HD NTSC television (using the Jaguar S-Video connector) and I see everything in full-screen without any side buffers or black areas. The game takes up my entire screen like all the other Jaguar games do. Not sure why everyone else's screen shots and videos don't look like mine, but mine look fine.

Jag games were written to be displayed in 4:3 which was the standard format of the time. I think the first system to have a 16:9 option was the Saturn and that was only a handful of games. If your Jag games are filling a 16:9 screen you're playing them in an aspect ratio different than originally intended. Nothing wrong with it if you prefer it, of course, it's just not as designed.

• Like 4

I totally suck at it... I couldn't even get past the first level (yet)... but it worked perfect with my Jaguar rotary controller. I am a huge fan of Arkanoid, and this game really lives up to everything I was looking for.

Quick question, the cartridge weighs nearly twice what my others do... is there anything special about this cartridge?

It is brutal hard, personally I'd prefer it to be quite a bit easier to start with. The best way to make it easier it to make yourself an ST or Amiga mouse adapter and play with that - loads more fun and the way the game was originally intended to be played (Atari Falcon original, with real proportional movement unlike d-pad and rotary). Fun Fact: Impulse on Falcon was inspired by Impact for the ST.

Your cart might seem heavier due to the eproms the game is stored on (it's an original Atari board with soldered-on chips that Matthias toasted himself).