IGNORED

Just thinking in ARKANOID...

José Pereira

I'm pretty sure, we can have a very nice hires version of that game. The background can be filled as in the "main" original . 32 bytes wide.

We have 4 missiles for white/grey, so a ball in hires with a brighter shape can be done..... even 3 of them

The 4 player can be used to enhance the stones.

The enemies move on plain graphics, never cross the "Player-Fields" .

Mode f with mid scan to set the borders and the ball / balls underlaid with missiles allows us to include some dithered backgrounds in a darker shade...

Now back to doing some work today :)

Looks nice. But there is something more than some DLI on every "wall" needed. As we have different functions on the walls and a full height of midline changes will probably waste too much cpu time.

Using just the 4 missiles would do well. 2 for the left and right border, 1 for the ball.

The ball would have to be one pixel bigger, to compensate the lower resolution on the missile movement.

Btw. Midline changes for the height of the walls, should work for masking the colours.

Ah, I see... You played Arcanoid and not Arkanoid. Indeed, it's probably better if you said Arcanoid IV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhcYfLJPspU

:grin:

That "Arcanoid IV" is a pirated version of "Unicum" by the German programmer André Christiansen - and a rather pointless one, as the original was a type-in program in the German "Happy-Computer" magazine.

Thorsten

A bit of a cheek asking full price for Breakout++ on any computer! £1.99... maybe £2.99 for the music.

Not sure if all versions allow paddles on 8bit versions (paddles with Amstrad?). You can use mouse in joystick mode on C64 but with joystick control it is no fun on any system. I just played it with a mouse on my ST in the past :)

Only load it up for the awesome effects/music.

Please do trackball/paddle control for a remake if it isn't there already.

Looks nice. But there is something more than some DLI on every "wall" needed. As we have different functions on the walls and a full height of midline changes will probably waste too much cpu time.

Using just the 4 missiles would do well. 2 for the left and right border, 1 for the ball.

The ball would have to be one pixel bigger, to compensate the lower resolution on the missile movement.

Btw. Midline changes for the height of the walls, should work for masking the colours.

The main restriction with this method would be with the individual brick colours in the level designs but there will always be a graphical trade off using hi-res and the main goal (if somebody wanted to do it) would be to have accurate gameplay. I should have mentioned that the missile underlay for the ball is double sized so the ball would have an outline with the background colour around it with that concept but it would be barely noticable against the dithered backgrounds. The ball would have single pixel movement, the horizontal missile movement would be every other frame.

The main restriction with this method would be with the individual brick colours in the level designs but there will always be a graphical trade off using hi-res and the main goal (if somebody wanted to do it) would be to have accurate gameplay. I should have mentioned that the missile underlay for the ball is double sized so the ball would have an outline with the background colour around it with that concept but it would be barely noticable against the dithered backgrounds. The ball would have single pixel movement, the horizontal missile movement would be every other frame.

The moving objects in the game were small. And 32 byte mode gives a lot cycles to handle them easily. The walls/bricks could be coloured mainly with midline changes. Let Players use for the drops and masking of removed bricks, where needed.

Only the "hard" and undestroyable bricks need special player overlay.

So a fair colourisation is given, and a real "Arkanoid" possible.

I guess I am the only one who had fun with the A8 version of Arcanoid?

:roll:

Ah, I see... You played Arcanoid and not Arkanoid. Indeed, it's probably better if you said Arcanoid IV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhcYfLJPspU

:grin:

Well,

believe it or not - this so-called Arcanoid IV is nothing else than "Unicum" released in german magazine Happy Computer as a type-in listing. There was also an add-on level (Level-1 which could be loaded seperately from the game), but later someone created a second version with this Level-1 and named it "Unicum-2". As far as I can see, the only difference between Unicum and this Arcanoid IV (besides the name) is the polish or czech scroller (originally there was a german scroller)...

Look here:

http://www.atari.fan...butt_details_x=

In my eyes both Unicum versions are much better than the commercial Arkanoid ! Even Oliver Cyranka`s "Break it" looks much better than Arkanoid, alas it has bad controls:

http://www.atari.fan...p?files_id=5035

And then there is "Super Ball" which comes with an editor and already has various versions:

http://www.atari.fan...butt_details_x=

There is no need for another or better Arkanoid, since there are already lots of freeware alternatives available...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

all of the alternatives still fall short... which is why the discussion was started. They lack playability or graphics, and sometimes both... I would encourage you to continue some of the best stuff has come from this very kind/sort of project.

Are you talking about projects which were discussed here?

I am not that long on AA, but without much thinking I cannot remember ONE.

No PoP, No Subhunter, No Downfall, No Last Ninja, ...

I am pretty sure that SOME of them will come, but surely not all.

Don't know how it sounds to most of you out of my mouth, but I think a question has to be asked: Was anybody, who has released a game this year, deeply involved in those threads?

Think not TMR, not MaPa and certainly not me. Sorry if I have forgotten anyone else ;)

I would be really happy if someone will point me to this post in a "LN is released" or "PoP is released" thread. :)

I've got 2 game releases in the last year, and 2 in progress, and participate in some of these "proposal" threads.

The way I see it, the quickest game evolution seems to take place if the person working on it just keeps quiet and doesn't invite a tug of war with everyone trying to push it in different directions.

As for the threads like "Can we do game XYZ on the Atari" - virtually none of them are started by the people who would be involved in the actual programming.

And the thing that is repeatedly stated but too often ignored is that the programming is the months of blood & sweat - just because someone can produce a nice static mockup in 2 hours doesn't mean the whole game can be created in 20.

• Like 1

No one is waiting "20h" for a full game to be coded ;)

Ofcourse it doesn't help with wannabe coders that just want to add silly comments ;)

But , probably those threads help in some case for coders to add stuff they don't mind before. Many games only missed the "correct imagination" .

The funniest things XXL is doing ;) . While "hardcore coders" ;) often said.... this or that isn't possible, he moves software from the spectrum onto the A8.... sometimes running faster than the original ;)

It's like digging the whole garden, to find the treasure box. If you know where to dig, things get easier ;)

• Like 1

No PoP, No Subhunter, No Downfall, No Last Ninja, ...

I am pretty sure that SOME of them will come, but surely not all.

Downfall is the only actual project that you've mentioned. p.o.p., Subhunter and, Last Ninja are from Jose's hopes and dreams threads.

Was anybody, who has released a game this year, deeply involved in those threads?
no, generally people who are active are actively doing their thing quietly in their free time. It's ok to chime in occasionally in concept discussions but it's best to just get on with it and occasionally post a wip. Edited by Tezz

The way I see it, the quickest game evolution seems to take place if the person working on it just keeps quiet and doesn't invite a tug of war with everyone trying to push it in different directions.

That's exactly the reason why I think that Downfall could be happening.

Mock-ups are one thing. During the discussion about masking pillars/gates I really would have liked to try to code a "demo" as I really think it isn't hard. As stated, you "only" have two or three soft-sprites most of the times. But after Jose told me that popmillio has a got at it I rejected that idea and went back to other projects :)

You need dedication to finish such a game and therefore I don't like PoP enuff.

On a side note talking about projects: Was there ever a real collaboration project on AA?

Like Popmillio does the soft-sprite stuff, someone else writes the background renderer/tile engine. Someone writes the introduction/titel screens and so on. Something like that would be needed to really finish such a game below 10 years. Exin has proposed Teamlab.com to OSon and me. However, a little bit too late to really use it for MJO and really test it. It looks useful, though.

That said, I might can take over some smaller parts of PoP if someone wants to coordinate such a project.

Anyone know why the following text is not displayed when booting the original disc/atr? (see sectors 198,199,...)

"Now loading Arkanoid © 1987 Imagine Software, © 1987 Taito The era and time of this story are unknown. After the Mothership Arkanoid was destroyed a spacecraft'Vaus' scrambled away from it only to be trapped in space warped by someone You must take control of the Vaus and battle your way through the 32 levels to confront the Dimension Changer! Game Coding by Mike Hutchinson Also available Green Beret"

Does it mean the game was "unfinished" and released in a rush?

Mode f with mid scan to set the borders and the ball / balls underlaid with missiles allows us to include some dithered backgrounds in a darker shade...

Now back to doing some work today :)

Tezz can you explain some more about your idea?

How have you the Sides walls? Are it Midscanline PFs colour changing or any PMs there?

Is it possible to have Midscanline changes on the Bricks different colours?

(If trying to get the Bricks almost the same colouring it seems that there is a maximum of 7or8 Bricks colours maximum at the same Line...)

13Bricks maximum each Line would be 26bytes and 3Players there...

1Player, P0 higher PRIOR to have the Bonus (seems that only one each time at the same Line)

3Balls can be 3Missiles as 5th Player can be the 3Balls.

And now?

You have 3Enemys, how get their colours?