IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim discussion

moycon

As I complained about eariler, if you spend money to raise your Speech to, say, 80, you can't unlock the perks that you could at 80.

Wha? I don't understand this statement. I have been able to unlock perks using skill points earned by training. That's how I got the Deep Pockets. I had raised pickpocketing (something I'm not really fond of doing) To 40 by just pickpocketing people. This was getting very boring and at that point I was only leveling up every 5 or 6 person I'd successfully pickpocket from. Since it seem like you only get credit for the first thing you nab, you can see how this would get redundant. Long story short you need a 50 skill in Pickpocket to get Deep Pockets. I used a trainer in the Thieves guild, and just some old woman in town (I think Windhelm) and got the last 10 points bringing my total Pickpocket skill to 50. After that I unlocked Deep Pockets easy peasy. I can't imagine what could be going on that it's not allowing you to do that!

I don't understand what's going on, then. I specificaly know I raised my Speechcraft skill hoping to unlock some of the higher perks and it didn't work. It was at 50 and then I spent 10 to raise it to 60. It shows as 60 on the skills screen and is in green. But when I go into Speechcraft to try to unlock a perk, it won't let me cause it says my skill is at 50. I don't know if this is a bug, or working as designed, or if there are some skills you simply can't raise in this manner. I haven't tried it with anything else yet. I think we both are playing the 360 version.

Can anyone else comment on this?

Can anyone else comment on this?

Hmmm I think the green number is the key. I think that what it means when you have a green number is your skill is being boosted by something. For instance. I have like 320 Magika points and they show up in green, but it's only because I'm wearing an amulet that gives me 50 points. If I remove it, the points go down to 270 and the green goes away. I suspect you were wearing an item or had a blessing or potion in effect that raised your skill which it why you weren't able to get the perk.

Okay, I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't make any sence. :?

I do have a item on that boosts my Speechcraft -- the Masque of Claudius Vile, or whatever that Deadric's name is. And I think I had it on when I paid the trainers to boost my Speechcraft. But even if it did, something is still screwed up. The green number doesn't show up on any other skills that I have items boosted. And even it did, I paid for a PERNAMENT boost to my Speechcraft skill, where as the item only gives a TEMP boost to it.

Right now my Speechcraft skill says 99 on the skills screen but when I go into the perks tree it's only listed as 89.

I just don't know if the green number repersents the increase caused by the item (and don't know why it doesn't show for any other item boosting skill) or it it means I paid for the skill.

I think this is a bug if you're right, Moycon. I'll have to do some experiments when I play tonight. I think one of the Speechcraft trainers is in the College at Solitude....I'll check it out.

Edited by SoulBlazer

You could try removing all your clothing. Some items have more than one enchantment. I do know if your wearing an enchantment that lets you be a certain level, the game won't let you unlock that perk (I guess cause you could technically take the items off and have the perk without enough points to have them or something)

Anyhow, some items will give multiple enchantments, and they aren't always clear, you should be able to see all the ones you have equipped by going to your magic menu and checking on your active effects though...

[edit] oh yeah, same problem with "blessings" and standing stones, and such as that, some of those you get by only healing up at a shrine or giving a bum money. (and a few other things, but I can't remember them all)

Edited by Video

Here's a bug.. I was playing Skyrim and ran into this Dracolich. It couldnt be hurt by anything I had. It was in battle with some necromancers.

Later on it was invisible. I was able to take it down just by aiming at the quest arrow above it. lol

Too bad it was a glitch (at least I think) because it was really cool seeing a bone dragon flying around.

Skyrim2.jpg

Edited by cimerians

Yeah, be sure to get your armor skill up too, the heavy and light armor both have perks to let you get armor bonuses for having all light/heavy armor, and they both have another perk that lets you have more bonuses if you have the same kind of light/heavy armor on.

I actually was working to get 100 percent in each skill. I'm allready part way there. There's probaly a achievement for getting all the skills to 100 percent also. :lol:

Level 63 so far. I'm debating which perks that I want to get next. Probaly some Lockpicking ones, as some of the perks there to increase gold and rare loot sound nice.

So far I've maxed out the following:

Heavy Armor

One Handed

Crafting

Enchanting

Speechcraft

Illusion

Blocking

Ones that are close to being maxed and will be soon enough just through normal use:

Restoration

Alchemy

Sneaking

Lockpicking

Ones I'm working on right now through active use to max out:

Two Handed

Light Armor

Archery

Pickpocketing

That just leaves some of the magics (Alteration, Destruction, and Conjunction) which are going to be a you-know-what to max out. I'm wondering the easiest and best way to do that....Any ideas?

It's totally worth it also to vist a trainer each level and pay them to raise a skill by 5 points. You can do that once each level and the master trainer can train you up to 90. You got to get to 100 on your own. It can be expensive, but once you've bought your houses and supplies you need gold doesn't become as important. Also, if you bring along some expensive items with you to sell that normaly he/she wouldn't have money for, you can get most of that gold back. For example, after paying to boost my Archery 5 levels the person had 18k in gold. I sold her some weapons worth 4k each and got most of that back.

I believe that you can't purchase the 5th and final house for sale in Winterhold if you are with the Imperials until after the Civil War quests are done -- can anyone comfirm that?

Boy, I thought most dragons were easy now -- ran into my first Ancient Dragon the other day. Son-of-a-bitch kicked my ass nine ways to Sunday. :P That took some major effort to get him.

Dragon armor is indeed very cool. I like how you can make both a light set and a heavy set. I'm normaly a heavy armor guy, but using my light armor one right now to get that skill up. It looks great on you and the guards comment on it. However, it's NOT the strongest in the game. Deadric armor (for heavy armor people) is, but I stupidly used all my Deadra Hearts before I realized that and trying to get some more (you need one to make each item).

Started doing quests in Makrath -- I think I'm spelling it right, the most western of the Holds and the one that has all the Dwarven ruins and is hostile to outsiders. Some cool quests here.

Edited by SoulBlazer

Well, I finally did get into this after getting out of a funk.

Unfortunately, I have the PS3 version. I've gotten to "that point" where it becomes nearly unplayable. Turning off all autosaves and not having a companion with you does help a lot with the frame rate. Crashing is another issue. I can get about 30-45 minutes of play before it becomes unplayable. Crashes are most likely to happen when transitioning from one area to another or when bringing up the map.

There are other things to play until that patch comes out.

I have been playing this on the ps3 and struggle with all the times that it is freezing on me..or just not catching up to speed....I am using an 80 gb system backwards compatible that I opened last year when my 60gb backwards system took a dump....

Maybe you are using a slim system> ???? Either way..I am feeling like this game is ruining my system...so I jumped back and started playing Castlevania chronicles on ps1...lol!

Oops, sorry, I should have mentioned that. I'm using an original 60GB with a 500GB hard drive. Have you turned off autosave? I did that, and haven't experienced any lag that's out of the ordinary yet.

I have a 250 gig HD in mine with plenty of space to spare. All of the autosave stuff is turned off. I am about 30 hours in with a 6+ megabyte save file. I started experiencing problems once the save file went over 5 megs. No frame rate issues, but the crashes are pretty frequent now.

I got it as an x-mas gift. Not really sure if I ever specified 360 vs PS3. I didn't think much of it at the time when I added it to the list as most hadn't played it long enough on the PS3 for the problems become apparent.

I can't remember where I read it, but I think there was a New Vegas developer that said the problems may never be fully fixed for the PS3. Something about how memory is used (PS3, split between video and everything else while there is more flexibility on the 360 in how memory is used). It seems like a lot of PS3 Skyrim problems were also present in the PS3 version of New Vegas (wouldn't know... I have the 360 version of that). If that is true, was New Vegas ever fixed for the PS3?