IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim discussion

moycon

Oops, sorry, I should have mentioned that. I'm using an original 60GB with a 500GB hard drive. Have you turned off autosave? I did that, and haven't experienced any lag that's out of the ordinary yet.

I have a 250 gig HD in mine with plenty of space to spare. All of the autosave stuff is turned off. I am about 30 hours in with a 6+ megabyte save file. I started experiencing problems once the save file went over 5 megs. No frame rate issues, but the crashes are pretty frequent now.

I got it as an x-mas gift. Not really sure if I ever specified 360 vs PS3. I didn't think much of it at the time when I added it to the list as most hadn't played it long enough on the PS3 for the problems become apparent.

I can't remember where I read it, but I think there was a New Vegas developer that said the problems may never be fully fixed for the PS3. Something about how memory is used (PS3, split between video and everything else while there is more flexibility on the 360 in how memory is used). It seems like a lot of PS3 Skyrim problems were also present in the PS3 version of New Vegas (wouldn't know... I have the 360 version of that). If that is true, was New Vegas ever fixed for the PS3?

I don't think New Vegas was ever fixed for the PS3, now that you mention it... But Bethesda did say that that dev didn't know how the current tech in Skyrim worked: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114588-Bethesda-New-Vegas-Dev-Is-Wrong-About-Skyrims-PS3-Lag

my bro just told me he is level 65 and he has beat the end dragon twice...he now is taking over villages? anyone get this far..Have I missed it...this makes the game incredibly sicker than it already is....

You mean more than just becoming Thane?

Sounds like he's doing the Civil War quests. You can decide if you want to join the Imperial Legion and support the Empire, or join the Stormcloaks and support the rebellion. They involve massive pitched battles later on where you try to take over the holds belonging to the other side until all of Skyrim is under your factions control. I've not done anything with it yet beyond declaring for the Imperial Legion, but I haven't done much with the Main Quest either -- just stopped after I came back with the item that the Graybeards requested.

Not sure could handle more than 2, they keep getting in the way !

There is a guy who sits in a bar who does magic and he will stay back most of the time if you have him follow you. Every once in a while he will get in my way and die (and I'll have to reload), but he's not as bad as most other followers like Lydia.

Is he the guy from Riften? I had him as a follower for a while. He was awesome since he stayed back 90% of the time. Downside is he is crazy powerful and would blast people away and send them flying all the time(I called him Goku because of this). It was entertaining at first but he was really spoiling my fun as a stealthy archer thief. I like to creep around and 1 shot people with my bow and take out entire camps without being seen. Half the time though he's go running into the camp blasting them and sending them flying all over the place which made looting their corpses difficult since sometimes they'd go flying over rocks or cliffs and I would have to search for them. So I'm going it solo now, a little annoying not having a pack mule to haul my crap but its a small price to pay for the increase in fun having him gone has given me.

Anyone playing the PC version like me and can post your specs and graphic settings?

Intel i5-2500K

Gigabyte GTX-570 Super Overclock Series

8GB (4GB x 2) Ram

Graphics settings maxed.

Why?

Really very curious to know because I just got a GTX 580.

Hows the framerate? I have my settings maxed and so far so good. I'm usually around 50-60 FPS outdoors and while I havent tested indoors I would think I'm close to a solid 60.

I just downloaded Nvidia's beta drivers last night for the 580 and like I said things are working pretty well.

Game looks beyond phenomenal.

Edited by cimerians

Anyone playing the PC version like me and can post your specs and graphic settings?

Intel Q6600 Core2Quad @ 3GHz

4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066

GeForce 9800 GTX+

installed on a Samsung 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Most settings set to High, with lots of config file tweaks. I don't bother to display the FPS count, but I don't tolerate choppy gameplay, so it generally runs pretty smoothly. Great in dungeons, but can get chuggy when a dragon attacks a complex town.

Edited by Rex Dart

Intel Q6600 Core2Quad @ 3GHz

4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066

GeForce 9800 GTX+

installed on a Samsung 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Most settings set to High, with lots of config file tweaks. I don't bother to display the FPS count, but I don't tolerate choppy gameplay, so it generally runs pretty smoothly. Great in dungeons, but can get chuggy when a dragon attacks a complex town.

Right. I had an ATI 5850 right before I got the GTX 580 and my stuff was set to high only at that time. I tried custom and Ultra settings and it was too choppy.

You use an Xbox 360 controller or the mouse\keybrd?

Working heavily now on trying to max out some of my skills. Spent a lot of time this weekend on Alchmay and got it up to 100 as well as figuring out what all the ingrident effects can do. Then I found a more effective way to boost my Alteration skill so close to maxing that out. The Unofficial Elder Scroll Pages are very good for this, as they can tell you several things you can do to raise your skills. Now, if I'm using the skill all the time I'm not going to do this -- Two Handed, Restoration, Sneak, Archery, and Lockpiking I can use in normal situations. I'm just doing this on ones I don't use much or plan to use.

It's also helping my levels. At 70 now. Going to work on getting the perk in Enchanment to have two on them on a item at the same time. It seems the last 'must have' perk.

The western Hold Markham is a fun play to do quests at. There was a disturbing Deadric quest, a long involved murder plot that gets you tossed into jail and needing to break out with no weapons, and a warrent for your death issued by the Dominion. Fun times all around! :)

I'd have rather gotten the PC version (like Morrowind and Oblivion) but my PC is not strong enough for it. There's some broken quests in the XBox 360 version that I can't just go into the console and fix. Still, it's a good version of the game.

Edited by SoulBlazer

I've been playing on PC with a 360 gamepad, works great. I tried both when I started & decided I liked the gamepad best. Far easier to play from the sofa.

Me too, the 360 pad is perfect for Skyrim except mines not wireless so I have this 25 foot USB extension cable running across the floor to the sofa.

I haven't done any ini changes. I'm tempted to turn off Vsync though.

I'd have rather gotten the PC version (like Morrowind and Oblivion) but my PC is not strong enough for it. There's some broken quests in the XBox 360 version that I can't just go into the console and fix. Still, it's a good version of the game.

The console version is pretty cool and when I compared the two they did a very good job with the graphics for the console. Yeah the PC version is pretty damn sweet with graphics getting bumped up its amazing.

Edited by cimerians

Half the time though he's go running into the camp blasting them and sending them flying all over the place which made looting their corpses difficult since sometimes they'd go flying over rocks or cliffs and I would have to search for them.

Yeah, he can make it almost impossible to find freshly murdered bodies sometimes. One time we were on a road with no cliffs, just an open area of grass and he zapped a guy so far that I gave up trying to look for him after a few minutes. The bad guy probably turned into a pile of dust (good luck trying to find that in the grass).

Then I found a more effective way to boost my Alteration skill so close to maxing that out.

Share? ;-)

I'm also doing this. After completing the Mage College storyline, I went and I've finished every misc quest I had going in my queue and started The Dark Brotherhood story line, although now I think i'll switch back to the Thieves Guild and do that. in the mean time I've been boosting skills. I've got Smithing to 100 (Dragon Armor) and I've almost got Enchanting to 100. I want to eventually make some kick ass magic weapons and armors. I'll also be trying to get all the magic skills up to 100% with some perks in each, mainly focusing on Conjuration. Right now at leave 43 there isn't much that survives my summoned Deadra Warrior. Looking forward to being able to double summon with bonus damage and health attached to everything summoned.

So far in the game I have finished the Companion and Winterhold College quests, as well as the Bards College. I'm getting close to the end of the Thieves Guild quests, and working on the Dark Brotherhood one also on the side. The Main Quest is on at hold right after I was told to meet the girl in Riverwood. The Imperial Legion quest line (The Civil War) hasn't even been started besides the first mission. I've bought 4 of 5 of the houses (the only one I can't buy right now is the one in Whiterun, cause the Stormcloaks are centered here and I can't buy it till the town falls to Imperial forces and a new Jarl is installed.) I've also became Thane in most of the holds. I think there may be one left. I have numerous shouts and most of the magic spells, have a wife who gives me profits each time I go home and I can sell things to at 3 AM, and a lot of my skills are maxed. Not to mention most of the Deadric quests are done and a good part of the misc quests. Just hit Level 72 also. All this in only about two months work. :lol:

Edited by SoulBlazer

joined the thieves guild..got the bone lock pick..leveled up lockpicking to 100...that thing doesnt break..so nice for all the treasures!

a must do in Skyrim for sure!

I think I have a bug in mine. When does the join the thieves guild task become completed? Do you have to do all the missions? I still have the join the thieves guild quest and I am member.

joined the thieves guild..got the bone lock pick..leveled up lockpicking to 100...that thing doesnt break..so nice for all the treasures!

a must do in Skyrim for sure!

I think I have a bug in mine. When does the join the thieves guild task become completed? Do you have to do all the missions? I still have the join the thieves guild quest and I am member.

I've gone through the thief missions except for returning the Skeleton Key and no full member love. You probably have to keep doing small jobs in each city until they give you bigger missions.. and finally proclaim you a full member.

There's a shout you can get that is a lightning attack -- wonderfull for blasting Dragons in the skies. And another shout you can get that forces them to land.

But yeah, Elder Dragons are one of the only things that still give my strong fighter guy a fit. :P

Have you tried the "Marked for Death" shout? It can make fighting Elder Dragons much easier, as it makes them more prone to damage.