IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim discussion

moycon

Side note -- I discovered something cool in my last game session. I was in Breezehome, my house in Whiterun, putting things away into the chest. By accident I hit the wrong button and used a Shout inside the house. A short time later when I was moving around the two, a courier stopped me and said he had a note. Reading it, it was from 'a friend' and said some people were impressed by the Shout I did in Breezhome and that the Dragonborn was a threat, and told me where I could find another word for a Shout at. Looks like I stumbled on a way to unlock a misc quest by accident! I'm going to have to try doing Shouts in other homes I own and other towns. Anyone else notice/did this?

I hit the Shout button while in a town once in a while by mistake and a guard will tell me that it's making people nervous. (Sometimes I do it on purpose to make the weather nicer.) I have also received messages telling me where a word is. I didn't know the messages and town shouting were related.

I've shouted in town before and they basically told me to shut the f*ck up or they'd kill me.

I finally did the Grey beards quest yesterday and learned how to add words to the shout. Very cool. I think I might have ruined a bug doing that though, up until now, every time I went to Winterhold there was a new dragon, I must have killed a dozen of them in town and at the college, is that normal? Do the dragons just constantly re spawn? Right now I have several shouts learned and still have about 14 souls to use.

I've shouted in town before and they basically told me to shut the f*ck up or they'd kill me.

I finally did the Grey beards quest yesterday and learned how to add words to the shout. Very cool. I think I might have ruined a bug doing that though, up until now, every time I went to Winterhold there was a new dragon, I must have killed a dozen of them in town and at the college, is that normal? Do the dragons just constantly re spawn? Right now I have several shouts learned and still have about 14 souls to use.

I did the main dragon quest a long time ago and there are still dragons to kill all over the place. I have more dragon souls than I'll ever need. Too bad I can't sell dragon souls to wizards or something.

Has anyone become both an Imperial soldier and a Stormcloak? I'm kinda afraid they make you pick sides and thus close off some missions..

I became an Imperial soldier. I don't know what I'm missing out on. The next time I play a fresh game, I won't join anyone, if that's possible.

It WOULD be interesting to bring in some systems/games and have a side lesson on 'the march of technology -- then and now' and start off with a Pong system, move on the Atari 2600, the NES, SNES, PS1, and then 360, with a game for each. You can end with Skyrim as a great example of how things have progressed in the last 30 years. :lol:

Totally understand what Foxy is going through. Awsome game and still loving it. Level 29 and still working on the faction/misc quests. I'm doing the College of Winterhold ones right now.

Side note -- I discovered something cool in my last game session. I was in Breezehome, my house in Whiterun, putting things away into the chest. By accident I hit the wrong button and used a Shout inside the house. A short time later when I was moving around the two, a courier stopped me and said he had a note. Reading it, it was from 'a friend' and said some people were impressed by the Shout I did in Breezhome and that the Dragonborn was a threat, and told me where I could find another word for a Shout at. Looks like I stumbled on a way to unlock a misc quest by accident! I'm going to have to try doing Shouts in other homes I own and other towns. Anyone else notice/did this?

Wow that's random but really cool! I came across something similar where I was walking through a valley and making my way up the side of the mountain when I suddenly came across a Dragon. I wasn't ready to face him and the only cover was this small hut. I broke in and I found a necromancer inside who didn't seem to like me very much. I ended up killing him and looting the house. A short time later a courier came up to me and gave me a note. I don't remember exactly what the note said (this was ~45 game hours ago) but it was something like so and so didn't appreciate you trespassing in so and so's house so be warned. Since then I've had a few merc groups come after me and I think it all goes back to that incident.

That sounds pretty cool also. Do you recall where this happened at?

Not had a chance to test my 'theory' in any other houses/towns yet -- I only had about 90 minutes to play yesterday, and I spent all of it on clearing a Dewmer ruin. Hoping to get some good game time in tommorow and Monday. Sunday is still reserved for football for now. :lol:

I did the main dragon quest a long time ago and there are still dragons to kill all over the place.

Right. This was a situation where every time I went back to Winterhold, there was a blood dragon to fight. You know how you can sell stuff to a shop owner, then come back the next day and they have all their cash back? That's how this was...but with a dragon. Needless to say, since finally paying a visit to the Greybeards and learning that words can be added to shouts...I haven't seen a dragon any where near Winterhold. Bummer, I was digging the easy bones, scales and souls.

As predicted Skyrim has taken over. I think I'm at like level 34 and have hardly done any of the main quests! I have started doing the College quests in Winterhold. I am a mage after all, I figured it was only proper.

I'm in the 20's and some of my skills are in the 60's. I haven't done any of the main quests and am only about to talk to the Greybeards. Been doing so much of the side stuff.

We should start posting some stories. I've had some fun times with some random monsters and events. Being chased by a pack of snow sabre tooth tigers. Letting a whole town destroy itself. Pissing off witches and entering dungeons backwards. (enemies tend to have their backs to you)

Here's a good story:

http://www.destructoid.com/tales-from-skyrim-i-ll-grit-my-teeth-as-you-bear-yours-216807.phtml

As predicted Skyrim has taken over. I think I'm at like level 34 and have hardly done any of the main quests! I have started doing the College quests in Winterhold. I am a mage after all, I figured it was only proper.

You and me both. :lol:

Hit Level 36 last night and I've hardly done any of the Main Quest yet either -- I still have yet to vist the Graybeards. Maybe I should do that part at least so I can get some Shouts. But I have about ten of them anyway. Not done anythin with the Civil War quests either, although I've declared for the Imperials.

I've finished the main quests for the Companion and Winterhold College quests. You'll enjoy the Winterhold ones. Different, fun, challenging. Better make sure you have a good weapon besides your magic, though.

Been a while since I posted in here, so I thought I'd give a update and also ask some questions and share some observations.

Reached Level 36 in the game. Level rising really comes slow and hard at this point. Unless you 'cheat' by training with a skill master, it can take a long time to go up a level. I still have spare skill points ready to spend, though, and may eventuly choose to master a forth branch besides the three I am currently doing (Speechcraft, One Handed Weapons, and Heavy Armor).

About training with a skill master -- I did that twice with someone for Speechcraft, hoping to be able to unlocker the higher benifits in this skill, for a total of 10 points. It doesn't seem to have done any good and I'm wondering how this is susposed to 'work'. On the skills level, I can see my value is indeed raised (for example, 78) and it's in green. However, when I go in to unlock some benifts, it shows my Speechcraft as being at at the 'unraised' level of 68. Meaning I can't unlock the skils I wanted and defeating the whole point of the training. This is NOT how Morrowind and Oblivion worked and I was disapointed to learn I had effectivaly wasted about 30k in gold.

Speechcraft is defentily worth unlocking, though. I just recently unlocked two major perks -- any merchant will buy ANY item from me regardless of what they sell now, and I can also make a one time investment of 500 gold with most merchants to double their gold ammount (normaly to about 1000-1500). Not only does the combo of this make it much easier to buy and sell, but with the larger bank I can sell most items to them now. Really helps with buying and selling stuff. There's one more perk I want to unlock where you can sell stolen items to merchants now, as I have a bunch of that sitting around. :)

I've been trying to play a 'moral' character and do things right and good and all that, in keeping with the past Elder Scrolls games. However, there are times when I'm willing to let that go by the wayside. For example, the Dark Brotherhood. I did the Morag Tong quests in Morrowind (the 'legal' killing faction) and the Dark Brotherhood ones in Oblivion and enjoyed them. By accident when I was recently in Riften I ended up doing the quest that resulted in the Dark Brotherhood contacting me, although I've not started any of their quests. I know there's a option to destroy them, but it seems more fun to do the questline and get even more playtime and loot out of the game.

On that same note, I've also accidently stumbled into a number of Deadric quests, and most of these Deadra are not nice beings. There was one quest where I had to sacrafice one of my companions to continue the quest. But the end reward of a full suit of Ebony armor was hard to refuse, so I swollowed my morals and did it. Nice when a game makes you think and feel like that.

How does the marriage option work in this game? I talked to someone in the inn in Riften who mentioned it, but I'm not sure how to get that option enabled.

Still using the Dawnstar. It's a powerfull sword, a reward from one of the Deadric quests. I have found a Ebony sword that is a couple points stronger, but the bonuses that Dawnstar gives are hard to refuse.

Voice of the Emperor seems useless this game, with the changes they made to it. In Morrowind and Oblivion one of the best things about being a Imperial was the ability to use this wonderfull natrual power to charm someone, like a merchant or a person connected to a quest, to raise their Disposition from a 'just tolerate you' level of 50 to 'I want to have your baby!' level of 90 to get something done. Now, with all the changes made in the game play, I can't find a use for it. Rather sucks.

There's no shortage of stuff to do in this game, that's for sure. There's still some cities I haven't even set foot in, and some factions I've not even started.

Alchamy is a very handy skill to have. Creating and mixing potions is a great way to save money, raise you skill level, and even make a little cash if you want selling it.

Lockpicking is defentily a usefull skill to master, and I like how it's done in the game.

I get a kick out of seeing these rare books from past games -- like where there was like one or two period to be found, and they were super hard to locate -- all over the place in Skyrim as common 'one dollar for a copy' books. :lol:

Edited by SoulBlazer

Better make sure you have a good weapon besides your magic, though.

No worries there. I too did one of the Deadric quests, and the reward was cool mace of the Daedric Lord of Domination Molag Bal. A powerful one-handed weapon with soul capture. So far I think it's the most powerful one-handed weapon i've seen.

I've finished the main quests for the Companion and Winterhold College quests. You'll enjoy the Winterhold ones. Different, fun, challenging. Better make sure you have a good weapon besides your magic, though.

As far as I know, I've done most of the major things there are to do. Maybe I missed something because all I've needed is some fire or ice spikes shooting out of my hands for pretty much everything.

I love ice spikes, but I also love that ball of fire you can shoot that's kind of like throwing a bomb. You can do a lot of damage to many creatures or people from far away.

I can not progress further in the game without my game frezing my ps3....

there is a dragon that arrives at winterhold and all the people go crazy and the game just freezes!~

Try turning off the auto save feature. Turn them all off and save manually (just save more often). It should help a whole lot.

Well, I'm several hours into it and pretty frustrated. Trying to get coin in this game is very frustrating. Anything more than a pile of salt costs a lot. I also have a tendency to die a lot. I might be rushing into things too soon. I don't know. I liked Eider scrolls 4, but that was several years ago. There are so many demands on my time these days, and I think I just lack the patience right now.

Well, I'm several hours into it and pretty frustrated. Trying to get coin in this game is very frustrating. Anything more than a pile of salt costs a lot.

As someone who has been half assed following the occupy Wall Street "movement" I can tell you now, if you want coin, get off your virtual ass and work for it.

I have almost 100k in my purse, wanna know my secret? I busted my virtual ass for it. :cool:

Yeah, money is pretty easy to come by. Of course, I'm also playing a Imperial, who gets a slight bonus in that area. But the big things to spend money on is houses in the towns across the land. I also will drop coin on potions and lockpicks, but that's about it.

No need to buy weapons or armor -- you can always upgrade that stuff constantly doing quests in the game.

Here's a few tips for money in this game --

1) Do some of the easy 'bounty' quests that the Jarl's will give you and you can pick up in the Inn's. Delivery quests are also very easy.

2) Take your time exploring ruins. Look in every nook and cranny for things like urns, jugs, and the like for coin and rings and other items you can sell.

3) Buy a house as soon as you can -- the one in Whiterun is good cause it's the cheapest. You can stash stuff there and sell it to the merchants when they get their coin back after a couple of game days, and take out as much loot from the dungeons as you can.

4) Take a companion with you if you're having problems in the early going. It will dilute your experience, but help you to get more cash cause you can do more with some help.

Stick with the game -- the start is a little slow but then it rocks! Good luck!

Well, I'm several hours into it and pretty frustrated. Trying to get coin in this game is very frustrating. Anything more than a pile of salt costs a lot. I also have a tendency to die a lot. I might be rushing into things too soon. I don't know. I liked Eider scrolls 4, but that was several years ago. There are so many demands on my time these days, and I think I just lack the patience right now.

Can't really help with the money, I just loot everything (that's worth more than 2 gold, as anything worth less, shops won't pay you for) and money seems to flow pretty easily for me, I used to have a chunk of money, but right now I'm working on my enchantment and am down to around 100k or so...even still, I still regularly have more stuff than the local shops can buy from me, even with the "buy shops" perk which lets all shops have 1500 more money or so...) (actually, I think that's several different perks working together, but still....)

But, as for the dying part, you can go into the options menu and turn down the hard. The difficulty bar is just a slider, and I think it's in the lower third to a half range, and that's where I left mine, but you can adjust it down and it will give you easier enemies and I think more valuable loot. Oh, and you can change the setting in real time at any time (apparently even during a fight, but I haven't actually tried that)

I can not progress further in the game without my game frezing my ps3....

there is a dragon that arrives at winterhold and all the people go crazy and the game just freezes!~

Try turning off the auto save feature. Turn them all off and save manually (just save more often). It should help a whole lot.

Thanks for the tip...!

About the money thing, every time you go out to find something for somebody or to clear out a place full of bad guys, jut grab anything that costs a lot and sell the stuff when you get back to a town. If you do that every time you go out, you'll have a boatload of money.