IGNORED

TI-99/4A Keyboard Repair?

20ohm20

I bought an "as-is" TI-99/4A lot from someone on eBay and it arrived with a partially working keyboard. Most of the middle row keys only worked 50% of the time when depressed and the caps lock key wasn't working at all. A quick cleaning job fixed the middle row keys, but the caps lock key still didn't work. After opening it up and discovering about a third of the screws missing, it looks to be the victim of a botched repair job.

It looks like the previous owner tried to repair the keyboard by removing the tiny screws that hold the (Mitsumi) contact film/PCB and key assembly together and broke the thin leads that go into the holes on the bottom of the caps lock key. One of the contacts is mostly intact, the other is almost completely missing. Is this something that is even repairable or should I just get a replacement keyboard? All the keys function now...except for the caps lock.

I know someone else on AA was looking for a replacement keyboard also. Does anyone know of a source that sells working *black* (not beige) replacement TI-99/4A keyboards, preferably in the U.S.? Most of the links I had to people selling TI-99/4A parts seem to be...dead.

I'd like to find a source for black keyboards too! Tex*In Treasures, when the website was up, used to sell the beige keyboards brand new for $5. They were packaged in either Tandy or Radio Shack Branded bags like S1500 was talking about. I believe Tandy bought the keyboard overstock when TI gave up on the home computer business. I don't remember them referencing they were made for the 4A on the packaging, as they were packed as a hobbyist keyboard that could be used on anything, but they were indeed 4A keyboards. I remember only seeing them in beige, not black. TI must of used up all their black keyboards as the beige one was the last model of the 4A to be built.

Edited by XT

Tex*In Treasures, when the website was up, used to sell the beige keyboards brand new for $5.

I remember seeing these a few months ago and was going to buy two or three of them, but all I've been getting is a "Site down for maintainence." message.

The only listings I see on eBay for replacement TI-99/4A keyboards are selling for more than what I paid for a fully working and boxed 4A, five boxed games *and* a speech synth.

I bought a couple more cheap TI-99/4A's on eBay since I couldn't find anyone willing to sell me a keyboard by itself for less than $20. One of them has supposedly been tested as "working" and looks to be in slightly better condition than my current spare system. And I can always use two extra power supplies...

• 12 years later...

I guess the more important question at this point is: does anyone have a spare keyboard that might be available to help the person that resurrected the thread? Necroposting is fine here--it tends to remind us of all the goodness that we have archived here on AtariAge.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Necroposting is fine here--it tends to remind us of all the goodness that we have archived here on AtariAge.  :)

Just funny when it happens like this.  You should see the necroposting in the Marketplace :D

2 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I guess the more important question at this point is: does anyone have a spare keyboard that might be available to help the person that resurrected the thread?

I infer nothing.  Like I ask my family when they say things like, "Hey, do you like to paint?": what are you really asking?

• Haha 2