IGNORED

I got my Atari to control my Nintendo R.O.B. Robot!

Pioneer4x4

That is bloody cool, how does it feel to be the first person to do something? at least I assume you're the first person to do this!

But as stated, now that something cool has been discovered it's time to find a use for it, which unfortunately may not happen.

Usually necessity breeds invention, not invention breeds neccesitiy. (someone should have told Steve Jobs that, however he was good at convincing people they needs things that really don't, he should of been a telemarketer... but that's a rant for an other thread)

That is bloody cool, how does it feel to be the first person to do something? at least I assume you're the first person to do this!

But as stated, now that something cool has been discovered it's time to find a use for it, which unfortunately may not happen.

Usually necessity breeds invention, not invention breeds neccesitiy. (someone should have told Steve Jobs that, however he was good at convincing people they needs things that really don't, he should of been a telemarketer... but that's a rant for an other thread)

I also assume that it is a first, but who knows?

Speaking of Jobs... Maybe I should call it iROB!

Actually my next step is to make a holder and some type of stylus, then see if it can align and push on a Kids controller. I was thinking of requiring a sequence to be sent that would allow it to push it's own buttons ;-) (And no, not an adult game, it isn't fast enough for that)

• Like 2

To O.P. congratulations on your achievement!! that's pretty amazing!R.O.B. must be damn rare and hard to find from what I've seen.This one gaming store, every time someone walks in it's "holy crap! it's R.O.B,"and offer to buy it for as much as $500 one guy offered.One guy just wanted the battery cover I think it was, a small plastic lid that goes underneath for $50.I told the owner, man you should keep that thing in a display case or out of view, because one day you'll find that little lid GONE!Anyway, i wish i had one.

I have the Stack-Up for it that I actually got brand new from Nintendo in the mid-late 1990s when I heard about it and it was already impossible to find. Just for kicks I called Nintendo parts and they sent me a brand new cart, the puck holders, all the pucks, the hands, all new in a blister pack. It came with a photocopy of the manual and no box. I think I paid $15, maybe $9!

If I make the cart more functional, I will try to make it so anyone can do it without any extra parts. Sounds like a Lowes & Home Depot weekend trip.

Edited by Pioneer4x4

Wow. I'm in awe of you.

I'd be most interested in a homebrew R.O.B. for NES, but could consider an Atari version (any hope for 5200?)

I was just messign with Gyromite the other night. R.O.B. is kind of amazing when it comes down to it, even if he didnt work totally right.

If you do end up making a game for this, I think it would be cool to also keep the basic controls game that you have done already. It would be fun just to use to control R.O.B. , maybe even use it to have him beat up on a NES console a little! :) One other option, is instead of using two controllers would be to use a Star Raiders controller with an overlay for various movements. I don't know how much more complicated that would make the coding of a game, but it could be a nice touch to make two underutilized game accessories be used in one game.

If you do make this, I may have to modify a R.O.B. to have a bit more wood design incorporated into his body!

Thanks everyone for the compliments and ideas. I am going to put this on a few carts for the heck of if. I have a couple of ideas for packaging, and I am going to work on other controller support. I had a lame gameplay idea in mind, but I am not going to go through with it. I don't think it would be worthwhile to play, this is mainly a project to see what could have been done.

I have the Stack-Up for it that I actually got brand new from Nintendo in the mid-late 1990s when I heard about it and it was already impossible to find. Just for kicks I called Nintendo parts and they sent me a brand new cart, the puck holders, all the pucks, the hands, all new in a blister pack. It came with a photocopy of the manual and no box. I think I paid $15, maybe $9!

That is absolutely insane. A similar thing happened to my friend who wrote to a semi-famous artist in the 1990s, who mailed him a free print to say thanks for the fan support. My friend later sold the print for $4000 when he hit some hard financial times, no joke.

I got keyboard/touchpad/kids controllers working today! I didn't come up with all of the code on my own, I used some code from this post (mainly the assembly stuff, I can't do that yet).

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/105865-keypads-and-batari-basic/page__view__findpost__p__1286356

I think I might make it selectable with 2 Joysticks, or a 12 button controller in the right side. I might make it selectable with the difficulty switches. If so, it will be

If both switches are the same, then use 2 sticks, if they are different, then use the keypad. That way you can flick either one and it will change, and you don't have to remember which is which, just make them the same or different.

Actually my next step is to make a holder and some type of stylus, then see if it can align and push on a Kids controller. I was thinking of requiring a sequence to be sent that would allow it to push it's own buttons ;-)

That would be great if you could incorporate some sort of rudimentary game into it. So something would happen on the screen, then a control sequence would flash, which would then have him move a character (or do some other action), which then triggers another event, and so on. It'd make for a great demo to run at game expos, if nothing else.

OK, the cart is complete. I have one fully assembled. The labels from Al look great, and the boards from CPUWIZ work perfect. Initially I will have 5-6 to sell, but I have some more packaging to do. I added a timer loop, so you cannot send another command while the R.O.B. should be moving, and the display has a crude indication of the position of the robots arms and hands. I had another idea, but this is a 4K attempt, and after I moved stuff to add the time delays, I had 1 byte left.

I plan to offer them for $25 plus shipping for just the cart, unless there is more demand, then $20 if I make 10-20 of them. I realize only a few people will want one, but I still need to decide on overlays and other stuff.

I may make a new video showing the new screen, and keyboard controller usage.

post-25375-0-01261900-1322762169_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pioneer4x4
  • Like 2