IGNORED

5200 games that are better than other versions?

Sonic R

since playing River Raid in the HSC, I have found out that the 5200 version is probably the best version of this game!

the 5200 has been known for getting flack for not really having any exclusive games… as serviceable versions could be found on other consoles/computers…

these suggestions are likely to be more subjective, but what are some games folks feel that the 5200 version is the best, superior version?

some of my subjective choices:

River Raid

Centipede

Blue Print

any other games that the folks in the community generally prefer the 5200 version above all else?

If you're comparing it to the 2600 pretty much every game save Kaboom because there's no paddle option, and Super Breakout for pretty much the same reason.

I personally feel this way, but I'm an oddity! LOL

I'm probably one of five people in the universe who favor the 5200 over the 2600!

and as Zylon said, some 5200 versions take advantage of the controllers thus making them slightly different from the Atari computers…

I'm looking to see what games folks generally prefer on 5200 over ALL other consoles/computers…

again, my feelings are all subjective… but I'd rather play Qix and Moon Patrol on 5200 for the two button support… I am curious if others feel this way too?

Edited by Sonic R

River Raid

Centipede

Blue Print

any other games that the folks in the community generally prefer the 5200 version above all else?

Yep! 5200 I'm new to, but it's leaving good impressions... I heard a lot of Brags on Colecovision being the best arcade console, but I'm not sold on that idea.

-5200 favs-

RIVER RAID (I agree)

DEFENDER (My favorite Defender)

QIX (Best Qix)

BERZERK (Like the voice and mazes better then 2600)

PAC-MAN (Although I hear the Intel, version is really good but never played)

GYRUSS

KANGAROO (Probably, not sure yet though)

MILLIPEDE (tied with 2600)

I hear Robotron is really good... as Ms Pac-man etc etc... I haven't played 'em all.

River Raid

Centipede

Blue Print

Yep! 5200 I'm new to, but it's leaving good impressions... I heard a lot of Brags on Colecovision being the best arcade console, but I'm not sold on that idea.

-5200 favs-

RIVER RAID (I agree)

QIX (Best Qix)

GYRUSS

I hear Robotron is really good... as Ms Pac-man etc etc... I haven't played 'em all.

something else that makes me more of an oddity… I've only gotten in to the 5200 in a little over the last year… NO rose tinted glasses here, and I am impressed and very pleased with the console!

my life experience with Atari was:

my sister had a 7800 when it was new (with some 2600 games in her collection) and I had a Jaguar at launch…

I purchased my first 5200 in August of 2010, and it has now become my favorite Atari console, and one of my all time favorite consoles overall!

Robotron is great on 5200… though difficult, but fun! further enhanced with the controller coupler…

I prefer Ms Pac-Man over Pac-Man and the 5200 Ms Pac-Man is a great game! If you don't have it, I have several extra carts I could pass on to you if you're interested… just pay shipping (or I'll take a trade for a common game like Berzerk or Pengo ;) )

• Like 1

I know 5200 Pac Man is better than Intellivision Pac Man overall. They didn't even get the maze layout right on the Intellivision though the ghosts look a little more like the arcade ghosts than the 5200 ones do. The only one from that time frame that even comes close to the 5200 is the unreleased proto for the Colecovision and that one is overall about the same, a little better in some ways, a little worse in others. I wish they had managed to get that one out before the plug got pulled on Atarisoft.

Here is a gameplay video of the Colecovision prototype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uwMC7VtRC8

Edited by OldAtarian

River Raid

Centipede

Blue Print

-5200 favs-

RIVER RAID (I agree)

QIX (Best Qix)

GYRUSS

Stick around with us in the HSC and we will play them all at some point. :)

The Coleco is the best for being broken. :-D

Really? The system or the controllers? I can't say I've heard of the CV having problems but then again the only one I ever had that broke was my own fault, and I got another with an a/v mod and it's been great ever since.

Really? The system or the controllers? I can't say I've heard of the CV having problems but then again the only one I ever had that broke was my own fault, and I got another with an a/v mod and it's been great ever since.

I was just teasing, but it is true that the power buttons go bad and stick. No more or worse than our 5200 controllers. :)

They can both be very aggravating systems to maintain for different reasons.

Hehe... thanks to you, my 5200 Controllers are NOT broken, and a reason I am now getting into the 5200 and enjoying it... plus look forward in the close future to collect for this system. I have about 7 games so far.

Aren't the Atari 8-bit ports almost identical in all cases to the 5200?

I think some are, but not all of them... unless I'm wrong. I guess it counts as both Atari800/5200 sometimes.

They're mostly the same, aside from some minor differences. However, some are different versions altogether. Qix and Centipede are two that come to mind. Nearly all the 5200 games that didn't already exist with a similar versions on the 8-bits have been converted to work on the 8-bits.

Edited by MrFish