IGNORED

2600 Galaxian - near perfect arcade colors & graphics hack

espire8

I wanted to try my hand at sprucing up the graphics for this 2600 galaxian hack. It's my attempt to work around the flagship issue Nukey Shay described in his Galaxian-Expanded thread (which I bumped up after missing it for almost a year!). I've redrawn all the aliens including all the in-flight attacking positions and altered the player's ship to better match the arcade.

The left pic is how the graphics looked before worked on. The middle show my alterations. The right is the arcade version to compare.

post-7623-0-38297600-1322002941_thumb.png post-7623-0-92194200-1322002951_thumb.gif post-7623-0-26651700-1322002905_thumb.png

This is as close as to arcade perfect the alien graphics can be as far as this goes. I've yet to see how the colors look on real hardware connected to a standard TV, so the bottom row of aliens may be too dark, in which case I'll brighten it up if need be. I want to make sure the colors are bright enough to show up clearly even thru an RF signal.

I don't have the binary ready to post yet. I'm presently waiting on a hack request to this game from Nukey so I can include it in the binary with the new graphics before I post it here later.

Update: Here's a binary with just the flagship fix and alternative alien graphic changes. Galaxian-Expanded_gfx-hack_espire8(NTSC).bin

The double-size ship for "A" difficulty is not in this tho. Nukey may post an update if this feature is ever added later.

Edited by espire8
  • Like 11

Thanks KevinMos3. That's a neat thread you put together. I didn't know you were involved with the hack, I like how you kept the eyes on the aliens as two pixels instead of a straight line as I've done. Feel free to use the player ship design in your version too. Nukey has been a tremendous help with how the game has come to be at present compared to when first initiated.

I also like what you did with Adventure Enchanced! Great job! Heh.. :lol: I remember that black bat I did a long while ago for 2600 Adventure 2 - or was it 3?, but never got around to even start it because there were things impossible to do back then that I alone would never have hope for. I think it's awesome other people has taken the game to new heights and I'm happy to see my bat found a place in your hack. :) I'll have to keep a watch in that thread.

I like how you kept the eyes on the aliens as two pixels instead of a straight line as I've done. Feel free to use the player ship design in your version too.

Thanks! Feel free to use any sprites I've worked on as well... afterall, they aren't exactly "my" sprites since I was imitating the arcade. ;-)

I also like what you did with Adventure Enchanced! Great job! Heh.. :lol: I remember that black bat I did a long while ago for 2600 Adventure 2 - or was it 3?, but never got around to even start it because there were things impossible to do back then that I alone would never have hope for.

Thanks again! Your Adventure II hack was partly responsible for inspiring me to work on that. You should check out the latest source by Nukey. He added a lot of really cool features that I'm sure you'd find plenty of uses for. For example... he added multi-color playfields, or sprites, and even added teleporting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks neat. Lots of impressive Galaxian hacks popping up. Out of curiousity, is it possible to hack Galaxian into this? It's a hack of the arcade Galaxian from the makers of Crazy Climber that adds an energy gauge similar to Megamania.

Edited by BrianC

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey, great work here. I posted an article, with gameplay video, on my site. I hope it brings more attention to your work (I hear you did one for Adventure also?). http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/09/12/near-arcade-perfect-port-of-galaxian-released-for-atari-2600/

While is is the newest hack to Galaxian, I like the one here better:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/154984-hack-project-thread-galaxian-arcade-double-dragon-xenophobe-etc/?p=1898721

The addition of the red eyes, and the redone left tilt right tilt attack along with a new Titlescreen showing enemy point values is top-notch!

The whole first post from KevinMos3 is full of updated graphics in good 2600 games.

Not to take away from the ton of graphics done by espire8 over the years for this hobby!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...