IGNORED

VBXE, Pre-Order thread...

sloopy

Apparently each have a different adaptor board (although each page states it comes with an XE/XEGS adapter board ;). As a 5200 is closest to a 400, I don't think you'll have any luck using a VBXE on one without creating your own, [likely much] more complicated adaptor board. Sounds like a cool idea though!

Edited by pedalpowered

• 3 months later...

Cool! Can you add me to the list for a SCART cable then please That'll save even more potential destruction of innocent hardware by me icon_smile.gif

Stupid question to the thread in general. Isn't SCART the easiest to "convert" over to HDMI? I know there are SCART-to-HDMI cables. I'd imagine that would be a cleaner signal than to go from S-Video to an upscaler and then to HDMI.

I saw a user on YouTube who had an A8 outputting to an HDMI upscaler via S-Video. I'd still think SCART - even here in the States - would be the best intermediary...I have a feeling Component Video is going to fade away rather quickly.

SCART is just a single connector which can carry composite/s-video/RGB/component video. Some of the pins are used for 2 different types of signals, the signal used depends on the configuration of the devices or cable.

All of these are analog signals while HDMI is digital, no cable can connect SCART directly to HDMI/DVI-D, an Analog to Digital converter is needed whatever type of connector is used.

There are some VGA to HDMI cables available, but they are for specific DVD players which can output a HDMI compatible digital signal on their VGA connector, below is the warning on a website which sells these cables.

Note : This cable don't support signal from VCR, COMPUTER or LAPTOP output, only support DVD Player output.

HDMI is essentially a glorified Gigabit LAN cable - as such, very different from all the older analog types. Different as well from the legacy digital types which in fact are just crippled versions of VGA and it's predecessors.

Merely converting an older type to HDMI isn't the answer, you want the best quality signal to begin with. The 15 KHz RGB from VBXE is essentially that. For example you'd get a much better pic from such a signal converted to HDMI than if you took the best possible S-Video signal the Atari could generate.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes order from Lotharek. ETA for the ones in this thread is looking like another few years.

If anyone more optimistic wants to buy my queue position then it's on sale for 80USD or near offer!! I paid Chris (Sloopy) 160USD about two years ago (fairly late in the game) and I think he shipped less than two since then. Real life trouble apparently, not fun. Poor guy IF its all true.