IGNORED

Pac-man Update for Atari 8-bit

tep392

Just to let you know. I am having exactly the same problem as MrFish on a real PAL 800XL. However, everything works fine on Atari800MacX.

I have a couple questions to help me figure this out.

1) What machine are you trying to run it on?

2) Which version are you trying? Have you tried versions 4 or 5?

Thanks!

Just to let you know. I am having exactly the same problem as MrFish on a real PAL 800XL. However, everything works fine on Atari800MacX.

Thanks!

I'm running these on a stock PAL 800XL, using the xex files sent over SIO2PC.

I have just run versions 4, 5 and 6 and these are the results:

Version 4 - absolutely no problems...smooth as butter.

Version 5 - runs, but seems to 'skip frames'. Every now and then, Pac-man himself seems to skip animation, and also jerk ahead. If this was a game on a modern PC where screens are completely redrawn, I would say it is frame skipping to catch up with itself.

Version 6 - As MrFish described.

Thanks!

Version 5 - runs, but seems to 'skip frames'. Every now and then, Pac-man himself seems to skip animation, and also jerk ahead. If this was a game on a modern PC where screens are completely redrawn, I would say it is frame skipping to catch up with itself.

Give this one a try. I'm not sure why V5 didn't run smooth, so this might do the same. I've made a few changes to fix some of the bugs mentioned earlier. If it still runs jerky, try to figure out if it is under certain conditions or just in general and I'll take another look at it.

Thanks.

pacmanV7.xex

Thanks!

Give this one a try. I'm not sure why V5 didn't run smooth, so this might do the same. I've made a few changes to fix some of the bugs mentioned earlier. If it still runs jerky, try to figure out if it is under certain conditions or just in general and I'll take another look at it.

Thanks.

This one is cool...it works like a dream. There is still a little frame skip, but that may be noticeable because I am looking for it.

I can't really pin it down to the cause yet, but I will have a little longer go at seeing if I can determine anything.

Just played through to level 3 and I can't work out the reason for the skipping. I'm assuming it is something to do with the timing, but I'm no expert.

I also noticed, during the animation after level 2, there is a large flickery blue area in the bottom 25% of the screen. This blue flickery-ness is not evident on the emulator.

Just played through to level 3 and I can't work out the reason for the skipping. I'm assuming it is something to do with the timing, but I'm no expert.

I also noticed, during the animation after level 2, there is a large flickery blue area in the bottom 25% of the screen. This blue flickery-ness is not evident on the emulator.

Could you post a picture of it?

I'll get that done tomorrow. My phone is dead right now.

Brilliant ! Rock Solid! Great job. *PAL 130XE

Yeah!

I just tried this on my A400. It's great!

my god, this conversion is _BEAUTIFUL_!!!! WOW.

Beats the living crap out of the original 800/5200 version.

Thanks so much for the kind words. :) It's been fun working on it. My main goal has been to get the game play to feel as much like the arcade as possible. I think it's worked out well so far. Still have a few tweaks to do on the ghost logic. Thanks again.

I'll get that done tomorrow. My phone is dead right now.

Thank you. I need as much feedback as possible to make sure all the bugs are worked out.

A thought, perhaps missiles could be used on the bottom pacman lives to round out the left circular edge?

Also, are you going to try and redo the attract mode to be more like the arcade? I love the touch of using the Atari/Namco arcade font. (It can be coloured a bit using player missile graphics overlays, if you don't mind a sort of "vintage arcade cellophane" look...)

-Thom

A thought, perhaps missiles could be used on the bottom pacman lives to round out the left circular edge? Also, are you going to try and redo the attract mode to be more like the arcade? I love the touch of using the Atari/Namco arcade font. (It can be coloured a bit using player missile graphics overlays, if you don't mind a sort of "vintage arcade cellophane" look...) -Thom

I've just finished the menu for the flash cart version. If you don't have a cart, this will run in emulation on both Atari800Win and Altirra. Cart type is 1mbit Atarimax.

Edit: Forgot to give MrFish a shout out for doing the fonts. Thank you!

pacmaxflashV2.bin

Edited by tep392
  • Like 1

Hi, I tried v7. Excellent work

The atari8bit computers are a bit unknown for me, so sorry for the question: are there 2 screen modes at once, one for scores and other for game?

Notice after the key stage, the bonus fruits still appear in random mode.

Would be possible add the score/high score for the original Ms. Pacman too?

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest xex version with MrFish's intro screen. Other than possible bug fixes, this will be the last version. I havn't had any feedback on the PAL colors, so I'm assuming they are ok. If anybody has suggestions for color tweaks, I consider making those changes.

The next update will be adding the intro to the cart version.

pacmanV8.xex

Edited by tep392
  • Like 6

Here's the latest xex version with MrFish's intro screen. Other than possible bug fixes, this will be the last version. I havn't had any feedback on the PAL colors, so I'm assuming they are ok. If anybody has suggestions for color tweaks, I consider making those changes.

The next update will be adding the intro to the cart version.

Thanks again Tep. Very well done.