IGNORED

Pac-man Update for Atari 8-bit

tep392

Wow.. Great Version ;-) .

So mutch better than the orginal one for Atari 8-Bits. Maybe the Ghosts needs to be a little smarter, i think its a little to easy.

About MS Pacman on Atari 8-bits, Yes the orginal one is a good version but its not speed adjusted so runs slower on Pal Ataris, a bit to slow on Pal Ataris in my opinion, otherwise a very good verision of Ms Pacman.

I have Both Pal and NTSC Ataris, The ntsc i can only connect to flat screen since my CRT Pal tv wont show colors with the NTSC version.

But i could hook up The Pal and the NTSC version to my flat screen tv and take picture of Pacman arcade v8 for atari to show if the colors are the same for Pal and NTSC.

Cheers.

Edited by Grevle

haha.. didn't even realize you could pause it! Just one thing, doesn't need to be done, but wondering. Those cut scenes, is there a way to make the animation smoother? Other than that, this is really something, it's a fantastic job and you deserve a lot of credit :)

Just played v8 (PAL 130XE)

liking the splash screen & level and player select by jostick

not liking when paused moving the stick or fire quits the go ;)

Yikes. I'll get that fixed.

I was playing, up several levels and hit the space to pause the game, pressed the button to see if it would un-pause and of course the game started over. Please do get that fixed, it was my first try and that ruined it.

Other than that, I am loving it all, great job. Now we just need to get Ms. Pac-man the same treatment; I tried the hacked version posted here and it really sucks now compared to v8 Pac-man!

Pretty cool man.. only one comment. I don't know how easy this would be but the one thing that would make it feel more "authentic" is to incorporate the useless ability for Pacman to face a direction that you tap in (and release the joystick) before he hits a wall. I don't know of any home version that does this, but of course it's a pure part of the original arcade games (Pac, Ms. Pac, Jr. Pac).

Not a big deal though.. but it's just something I always try to do (i.e. face a power pill while waiting for ghosts to come close) and it feels "off" if you can't do it. :lol: But again, no home conversion of the game has ever incorporated it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOAIIKphWZE

Edited by NE146

I'm actually very close to wrapping up this project. I'm making a few graphic tweaks suggested by MrFish. Fixed a few bugs including the one with pressing the fire button while paused.

There is also a somewhat significant change I'm going to make for game play. I'm finding this version to be a bit too easy, even though the pac and ghost speeds and behavior are identical to the arcade. I think it's because the maze is smaller with less dots so it is easier to clear. There are a few things, like blue time, that I will be ajusting.

Also, just ordered a sample cart. Hope to get it in a week or so and post a pic along with the final binaries.

I have been looking at this PAC MAN project and did some tests on my real Atari. The arcade does have more dots vertically. I know this version is using ANTIC 4 mode and makes everything placed in 8 pixel increments. The one easy work around I thought of is to make 4 dot font characters. one with a middle dot, one with two dots upper and lower, and ones on the upper and one on the lower the replaces the two dot characters as PAC MAN eats them. I extracted the FONT with the emulator, viewed in Envision and it does look like your using all 128 characters. I am not sure how evenly that will be spaced out after. Other options are harder to program, either use shorten characters (I still have to figure out exactly that is done), or Antic 15 mode. Those hog more CPU, programming, and memory space. Would mess up how this PAC MAN is multiplexing the player/missile graphics.

Edited by peteym5

I have been looking at this PAC MAN project and did some tests on my real Atari. The arcade does have more dots vertically. I know this version is using ANTIC 4 mode and makes everything placed in 8 pixel increments. The one easy work around I thought of is to make 4 dot font characters. one with a middle dot, one with two dots upper and lower, and ones on the upper and one on the lower the replaces the two dot characters as PAC MAN eats them. I extracted the FONT with the emulator, viewed in Envision and it does look like your using all 128 characters. I am not sure how evenly that will be spaced out after. Other options are harder to program, either use shorten characters (I still have to figure out exactly that is done), or Antic 15 mode. Those hog more CPU, programming, and memory space. Would mess up how this PAC MAN is multiplexing the player/missile graphics.

I've though about sqeezing more dots in, but I think the root of the problem is the that the maze is smaller. I could widen it a bit without too much trouble. I going to try tweeking some of the times first and see how that goes. I did notice that the blue time is the same number of tics for both PAL and NTSC, so PAL users are actually getting more blue time. I'm going to change that so timing will be the same on any machine. I also noticed the ghost always flash 5 times, even at higher levels. It should drop to 3 at the higher levels.

We could always rotate our TVs 90 degrees ;)

Good thing we are using LCD, LED, and Plasma Flat TVs and Monitors today.

It is possible to extend the screen vertically with a longer Display List, but I discovered not all TVs are the same. Have to leave about 12 to 16 pixels at the top and a few at the bottom. We don't know what kinda of VBI processes PAC MAN is doing and could mess up timing/multiplexing, etc.

I have seen PAC MAN versions with the score, lives, Fruit displayed on the side. That is difficult to do on the Atari. This version is using 2 fonts already and needs to do a DLI. The screen graphics font uses up all 127 characters. It is possible to have the "READY!" and "GAME OVER" characters stored elsewhere and copied into a group of characters when needed. The Font has to be in RAM, not sure what the cartridge plans are.

Edited by peteym5

We could always rotate our TVs 90 degrees ;)

Good thing we are using LCD, LED, and Plasma Flat TVs and Monitors today.

It is possible to extend the screen vertically with a longer Display List, but I discovered not all TVs are the same. Have to leave about 12 to 16 pixels at the top and a few at the bottom. We don't know what kinda of VBI processes PAC MAN is doing and could mess up timing/multiplexing, etc.

I have seen PAC MAN versions with the score, lives, Fruit displayed on the side. That is difficult to do on the Atari. This version is using 2 fonts already and needs to do a DLI. The screen graphics font uses up all 127 characters. It is possible to have the "READY!" and "GAME OVER" characters stored elsewhere and copied into a group of characters when needed. The Font has to be in RAM, not sure what the cartridge plans are.

I did add one line for "1up high score 2up" so were currently at 25 lines. I also thought about putting the fruit on the side but need to change the colors with DLI's. The sprite multiplexer is using DLI's so would need to take care with that. Bigger issue is that the fruit is currently done with PM graphics, so putting it on the side would increase flicker. I'm using two overlaping players for the multiple colors. I would need to change the fruit to character graphics to make that work and as you noticed, I don't have much space available in the font.

You might be intested in how the VBI is done. Most of the VBI work is actually done with a DLI on the last line of the display. This gives more time for updating the PM stuff and sound code. It still runs well into the next screen though. Doesn't complete until the maze starts getting drawn. This is actually why I was having an issue with Pac getting clipped in the top line. My sound code was delaying the PM code too much. Solution was easy. Just moved sound code after PM code. There is still a defered VBI that updates colors and sets up the first DLI.

There is also a somewhat significant change I'm going to make for game play. I'm finding this version to be a bit too easy, even though the pac and ghost speeds and behavior are identical to the arcade. I think it's because the maze is smaller with less dots so it is easier to clear. There are a few things, like blue time, that I will be ajusting.

Are the ghosts and pac moving at the same speed in relation to the the maze, or just the same speed as the arcade?