IGNORED

Extra Terrestrials Atari 2600 Limited Reproduction Sale Thread

sydric

Thanks for the hospitality.....and the cart! The game is very playable and fun......at least to me. My son wanted to get home to his Xbox.

The history behind the cart is what is amazing to me.....and the connection to the Banting family.

We will definately be visiting the museum again!

Syd, I got mine yesterday and, while I can't speak for the entire Classic Gaming Community, I'm certain the majority who were fortunate enough to have acquired the game from you will agree this is an astonishing contribution to our hobby. Using an archaeological analogy, it must have been like finding a dinosaur fossil where none were known to have previously existed. I can only imagine how exciting this must have been for you, a computer game historian.

The DVD was a nice touch. As you said in at least one of the interviews, the story BEHIND the game's creation and re-discovery is more interesting than playing the game itself, although it is safe to say there are many Atari-compatible games available that are significantly less fun to play than The Extra Terrestrials.

I have to agree with another point made in your interview that, had this game been marketed in the US, it would likely have caused a legal battle at least over the title and perhaps the E.T.-like avatar. But both could easily have been changed prior to release (if ONLY that could have occurred before "the crash"), and the combined elements of E.T. and Pac-Man COULD have given it some commercial success. Actually, I think it's gameplay - minus the two-player aspect - is similar to Jawbreaker, Tigervision's Pac-Man clone.

In any case, congratulations to you, the PC Museum, the Banting family, programmer Herman Quast, and all who contributed to archiving and producing this historic find. Thank you!

bfstats -- thank you very much. Those are kind words and I can tell you that Adam and I (at the museum) are definitely the two that were most excited by this whole thing and had such a great time talking about it, creating it and so on. We hope that everyone is happy with the quality and value they are getting for the money.

The story is not QUITE over yet. There is still a little more to tell, and we will be sharing all of that once the reproductions are all out the door (those that haven't paid yet, please get on it :)). I plan on writing up a "post mortem" about the creation of the reproductions and where we go from here.

I feel very lucky to have received this cartridge and opportunity. It has definitely worked well for promotional reasons for the museum and getting the public to understand about this hobby that everyone on this site is so passionate about. Educating people on why gaming and computer history is important is a tall order and this project has certainly helped. Anyways, thanks for the words- this has just been amazing for us all and may we all gain something from the experience.

I want to echo Sydric's comments in post #86. This project has been a complete thrill ride that I'm unlikely to experience again. Everything from the initial discovery of an unknown cartridge, the research, meeting the programmer, being on the local news, creating the packaging for the reproduction has been a classic gaming high.

This entire event has brought some great publicity to the Personal Computer Museum. I've been able to talk about this project with everyday people who thought that the Atari 2600 died in the 1980's. People are generally fascinated by the entire story. Educating people about classic computers and game systems is what the museum is all about. Extra Terrestrials has helped us to reach out to people that might not have been interested.

A big thanks to all of the people here at AtariAge. Your enthusiasm for this project has been wonderful.

Hi Syd,

I just wanted to also convey my gratitude for what you’ve done with this discovery. My game arrived to these sunless shores of England this very morning and I couldn’t be happier with the whole package. It really has been the perfect way to share the sheer enjoyment of uncovering this game with everyone and is frankly an object lesson in how such discoveries can be handled, celebrated and enjoyed with a world-wide community of people sharing a similar enthusiasm and all for a very worthy cause too.

The entire project, from conception to production and distribution has been handled with great care and consideration from start to finish and I certainly appreciate the ‘quality and value for money’ and indeed the sheer amount of time you must have put into this operation. It clearly has been a labour of love and one that I thank you for sharing. I certainly wish you and everyone at the Personal Computer Museum all the best and if anyone is fortunate enough to ever unearth any more rare discoveries, they certainly know where to come.

Not sure how that other game got there though…

atarietpair.jpg

Edited by Silent Hill
  • Like 1

Thanks again everyone for the kind words! There are still a few copies that haven't been paid for - and a waiting list that has been started so if the copies that were reserved are not paid for by next week, I'll be offering them up to people on that waiting list and then we will talk about the next steps. Stay tuned!