IGNORED

55" Flat Screen

leroyneiman

I have a 55" flat screen and I plugged my Atari into it (with upgraded a/v cables) and it looks horrible. The colors are bland, etc. This doesn't happen on my smaller TV, just on this one. It no the TV because I play Colecovision on it and that looks fine. Just the Atari looks bad. Is there any way to correct this?

I have a 55" flat screen and I plugged my Atari into it (with upgraded a/v cables) and it looks horrible. The colors are bland, etc. This doesn't happen on my smaller TV, just on this one. It no the TV because I play Colecovision on it and that looks fine. Just the Atari looks bad. Is there any way to correct this?

play on the smaller tv :P sorry could not resist....

i posted before and apparrantly got removed somehow. i use the coleco to play 2600 games on it. the quality is far better. the atari color and darknes arent that good on a modded atari, especially when compared to using the atari module on the coleco.

Edited by pimpmaul69

Huh, I've only ever played on my big screen. I'll have to try it out on a CRT and see what I'm missing!

If you enjoy playing on your big screen, then by all means, play it on your big screen. But games from this era were designed to be played on what was available 30 years ago; small, grainy CRT TVs with clicky channel dials, no remote, and wires running across the floor.

• Like 1

The quality is much better using the adapter on a Colecovision syestm, but on a large screen the colors are blanched out. Is there any way to avoid this?

I'm starting to get familiar with using older systems on hdtv's too. From my experience with my 46" LED, the colors are never bold enough using the composite/RCA cables connection. It isn't horrible so I just get used to the lesser color contrast (this is true even using a newer system like Sega Genesis). You can change the settings of 'game mode' on your hdtv to have more bold colors or contrast and see if that helps. When I hook up my Wii using component cables though, it looks fantastic and has no noticeable control lag- even when non using game mode but using the standard mode its always set on.

I get better results on my 27" SD tv using 7800 (to play 2600 games) over the old 2600 which seems to look much worse, even though both use RF and a game selecter switch. . 7800 (and colecovision) must simple have better quality video connections.

I'm due to get a 42" Panny plasma this weekend. I will try out various things and see how the old systems look on it.

update on my situation: none of my Atari RF connection systems were working well with the Panny Plasma - audio/video noise and the screen would roll every couple seconds. I hooked up the Atari (5200 in this case) to an old VCR's RF, and used RCA composite from the VCR to the HDTV - looks pretty darn good now! No lag at all that I can detect. Just played 5200 Robotron and Defender and the big-screen made the games a bit easier, since I could see the detail better.

just for the record, most old VCR players can be used to convert an RF signal into video / audio out. If you check on the back of an old VCR, and it has phono outs or a SCART. then you can almost certainly connect your old consoles to it, tune it in, and then play it on a newer TV, and even send the audio to an amp.

Oh, and you can even record your wonderful high scores whilst playing Pitfall. Oops, that's what I wanted to do 30 years ago. Maybe not now.

I found the problem- I cleaned out the connectors on the Atari module and the input to the Colecovision-works perfectly now. Thanks for all the info.

Were u always trying the atari module? Or did u try with a real atari? Is coleco or real atari what was av modded? Edited by pimpmaul69