proteanthread

if one were to design an API to make it easier to allow game developers to "simulate" or "emulate" a classic game (say Pac Man, Super Mario Bros., Pitfall, or even Zork), what would that API have to include or be able to do?

i'm working on an game engine that i'm hoping will make it easier to develop vintage style games (coin-op, PC, or even console); with little effort so that they can easily be ported to other machines (MacOS, iOS, Windows, Linux, current consoles, etc.) and not just emulators.

what are your thoughts? what would it need? what would you want to be able to do with it?

Adobe Flash already does this - to an extent.

It's available on Windows, Mac OS and various mobile platforms.

So, a game which works on one can in theory work on the rest. Of course stuff like resolution, use of 3D and advanced sound stuff might raise compatability issues.

Existing emulators like MAME and MESS have drivers for all manner of chipsets and CPUs, "Mess" is a good name really because both emulators can break when drivers and components are updated to support something new.

Realistically if you wanted to start afresh and create new "old looking" games on modern hardware, you wouldn't want to be restrictive in what you could do insofar as having constraints in the API or system you created, you'd just leave it up to the programmer e.g. use low resolution, less colour, less audio capabilty etc.

A modern day means of running some Infocomm stuff already exists - from the start they created their games to be modular such that each machine just needed it's own variant of the engine and the data relating to the gameplay was portable across systems.

For arcade types, there's various "construction sets" around. If you break 2D arcade type games down to the bare constituents, they're all fairly similar, ie - movement due to user input, interaction among objects, movement of enemy objects based on set patterns or position of other objects, objects appearing/disappearing/transitioning based upon other events.

problem is I don't like flash for game development and i doubt i'm the only one that feels that way. even java is not my cup-o-joe (no pun intended). i'm not looking at making another emulator outright but more an engine that'll make it easier to mimic the old games: gameplay, sound, graphics, etc. all these modern remakes of our favorite games use modern graphics and sound; but what I am trying to do is allow a programmer to recreate these games (2600 Outlaws or 2600 Donkey Kong for example) without the need of or use of an emulator.

Couldn't you code a tilemap handler (possibly with multiple overlaid maps to allow paralalx scrolling), a 2D sprite system and embed the python/lua interpreter, so graphics can be loaded from a .bmp/.tga/whatever graphics file and the game code is handled by the scripts. That way you wouldn't need anything that wasn't free to write a retro-inspiredgame and you could write your own helper functions as you see fit to handle common games functions, such as collision detection.

• Like 1