IGNORED

Open-world, free-roam exploration games

b bierman ghoul

These may come close to fitting in the category. Tutankham, Superman, E.T., Tunnel Runner, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Escape From the Mindmaster, Marauder, Berzerk, Venture, Riddle of the Sphinx, Solaris, Star Raiders,Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall!, Quest for Quintana Roo, Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator, and Xenophobe.

• Like 1

Unless you need to go back and figure

I would consider Pitfall II to fit in to this category. One of my favorites! Secret quest and Dark Chambers as well.

Pitfall II is large, but it's pretty linear. You don't freely explore, so much as progress along a predetermined path.

Unless you need to go back and figure out how to get a treasure by jumping from different platforms. Other than that, it is linear.

Unless you need to go back and figure

I would consider Pitfall II to fit in to this category. One of my favorites! Secret quest and Dark Chambers as well.

Pitfall II is large, but it's pretty linear. You don't freely explore, so much as progress along a predetermined path.

Unless you need to go back and figure out how to get a treasure by jumping from different platforms. Other than that, it is linear.

The gameplay is linear, as are most atari games, but the map is large and allows you to roam freely. You can go anywhere you like...that's more of what I was thinking.

I think it would be cool if there were more games with cube shaped worlds like E.T. Here is an idea for a homebrew:

Berzerk: Escape From Mazeon. Mazeon is a cube shaped world made by Automazeons. It is cubes within cubes all the way to the center. It turns out that in the original Berzerk the walls and lasers didn't really kill you but knocked you out. You wake up and find yourself a prisoner of Evil Otto in the center of Mazeon. There are two Automazeons guarding your cell. Since they are stupid all you have to do is walk in between them, they shoot, you move out of their way, their laser beams hit each other, and when they die one drops his laser gun. You grab the gun and are ready to rock! The center of Mazeon is a six screen cube like on E.T. At first it looks like regular Berzerk but one of the rooms has a computer in it. You activate it and a portal opens up in the center of every room. Since this is Atari each level can't be bigger and bigger cubes(I think). Every level is a six screen cube. On every level there are four rooms with portals that send you to a random room on the level, one portal sends you back down one level, and one sends you up a level. Every time you enter a room the maze is randomly generated so you can't tell them apart by appearance but every room has a number above it so you can make a cube map to know which portal does what. It takes maybe 100 levels to make it to the surface. When you get there one room has an escape pod. You get in it, fly off, and see the cubed world fade in the distance. But then a tiny little dot gets bigger and bigger as it is coming towards you from the darkness of space. It is Evil Otto! He gets so close that he fills the screen. He says to you,"Chicken, fight like a robot!" and winks. The end.

• Like 1

Lord of the Rings: Journey to Rivendell is another one. I remember seeing screenshots of that game in the Parker Bros. catalog when I was 7-8 years old, and imagining this incredibly expansive and magical world. It's not quite like that, and the gameplay is moderately linear, but it still allows you plenty of leeway about exactly where you go.

Outside of Adventure, what open-world games are there for the 2600? Is there anything with a relatively expansive exploration field?

Hi bbg! If you like Adventure you should definitely give Superman a try. It was released around the same time as Adventure and even shares some of the same code (they were developed from the same kernel, if you're a programming type). Personally I think Superman is a great game!

I've always been interested in adventure games for the VCS. I haven't found anything where you can explore as freely as Adventure lets you, but I can recommend some that I've really enjoyed:

1. Montezuma's Revenge

2. Secret Quest

3. Mountain King

4. Pitfall 2

I haven't played any of the Supercharger games yet, and there might be a gem or two amongst those titles (i.e. Dragonstomper, Survival Island). For a while there was a special promotion where Supercharger games came pre-loaded on the Harmony cart when you ordered one. I didn't get in on that offer but it would be a sweet way to give those games a try.

• Like 1

Hi bbg! If you like Adventure you should definitely give Superman a try. It was released around the same time as Adventure and even shares some of the same code (they were developed from the same kernel, if you're a programming type). Personally I think Superman is a great game!

I completely agree with the recommendation for Superman. It is a very fun and totally underrated game, in my view. My best times, back in the day, were all under one minute.

• Like 1

I haven't played any of the Supercharger games yet, and there might be a gem or two amongst those titles (i.e. Dragonstomper, Survival Island). For a while there was a special promotion where Supercharger games came pre-loaded on the Harmony cart when you ordered one. I didn't get in on that offer but it would be a sweet way to give those games a try.

If you already have a harmony, just search the forums. The Supercharger roms are here somewhere. And they are all excellent games.

There's a Homestar Runner RPG homebrew that was unfinished, but it has a beta released to the public where you can just wander around its huge maps. It has great music, and its maps are ENORMOUS! Sometimes I play the game just to wander about the huge landscapes it has, and to listen to the music.

@CTF@

...Riddle of the Sphinx...

That's what I was thinking of when I read the thread title. I'll admit I haven't played the game too extensively, but it seems to go on forever.

riddle of the sphynx does have an end, but you need the staff of ra to do it. you need to travel down at the start and dronk from the lowest oasis to get it if i recall

Also checkout:

Dungeon: It's a turn- based game with magic, HP points, etc. It is somewhat linear as you start at ground level, but has at least 9 floors to explore, IIRC.

Halo 2600: 64 screens to explore plus an "alien" world, but you need a key to pass certain points, etc.

Evil Magician Returns: A sequel of sorts to Adventure. Lots to explore while you avoid Wizards instead of Dragons( though watch out for the Wizard's pet who will try to eat you! ) 8)

• 1 year later...

This topic is made of win and needs to be revived. Anyone have the Halloween Adventure Trilogy roms? Looks super cool. Also couldn't find Duck Attack if anyone has more info on that one as well.

I've been playin the games in this topic all afternoon, I'm looking forward to Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission, but no time right now.

Man, I wanna make a Doom 2600 game...

This topic is made of win and needs to be revived. Anyone have the Halloween Adventure Trilogy roms? Looks super cool. Also couldn't find Duck Attack if anyone has more info on that one as well.

I've been playin the games in this topic all afternoon, I'm looking forward to Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission, but no time right now.

Man, I wanna make a Doom 2600 game...

Closest I've heard of is my currently paused project called "Destiny"

http://www.atariage....86-destiny-wip/

I'm not sure if it qualifies as "open-world" but it does have one Dungeon with 256 levels with each floor being comprised of 256x256 rooms.