IGNORED

Open-world, free-roam exploration games

b bierman ghoul

"I'm not sure if it qualifies as "open-world" but it does have one Dungeon with 256 levels with each floor being comprised of 256x256 rooms."

Sounds pretty damn openworld to me :P

EDIT: Thanks for the DUCK attack and Doom links Cookie Master! Time to hit up Stella and play all these great games. I'm just recently finding out about Halo 2600, Ature, and others so I've got some work to do.

Edited by Robot2600

I don't think I've seen anything that qualifies as open world on an Atari 2600. At least not in the modern console GTA style sandbox gameplay kinda way. Due to memory and storage constraints 2600 games rely heavily on static levels and few things to keep track of.

My Destiny game tries sneaky compromises to get the feel of an open world game. For instance, some rooms have rings in them. If you see a ring in a certain room it stays there no matter how far or what floor of the dungeon you trek to. HOWEVER, if you pick up a ring EVERY ring on EVERY floor in EVERY room gets warped to a different location.

• 7 years later...
On 1/26/2013 at 12:03 PM, Gemintronic said:

I don't think I've seen anything that qualifies as open world on an Atari 2600. At least not in the modern console GTA style sandbox gameplay kinda way. Due to memory and storage constraints 2600 games rely heavily on static levels and few things to keep track of.

My Destiny game tries sneaky compromises to get the feel of an open world game. For instance, some rooms have rings in them. If you see a ring in a certain room it stays there no matter how far or what floor of the dungeon you trek to. HOWEVER, if you pick up a ring EVERY ring on EVERY floor in EVERY room gets warped to a different location.

Adventure. Most famous Atari game when I was growing up. Very open-world. Am I wrong? (:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

On 12/2/2011 at 1:36 AM, b bierman ghoul said:

Outside of Adventure, what open-world games are there for the 2600? Is there anything with a relatively expansive exploration field?

I know these types of games weren't common in the early 80s, but I'm curious if there's some hidden gems in the 2600 library.

Thanks!

What a great question!  

Here is my list of Open World, Free Roaming Adventure games for the Atari 2600.

List.txt

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

More categories such as Indoor Adventures, Walking Path Adventures and more.  May help to explain why I didn't include certain games such as Haunted House and Pitfall! in the list of Open World, Free Roaming Adventure Games.  

More Adventure Lists.txt

What do you guys think of my lists?  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Thanks 1