IGNORED

Interest Check: Authentic Reproduction Boxes - Donkey Kong

phattyboombatty

Hello fellow Colecovites and Colecovisioneers,

Looking at who may be interested in having authentically remastered, high-quality replacement cardboard boxes for their collecting appeal. At this time I have one flavor available, Donkey Kong. I wanted to start more or less chronologically, and DK is a good candidate due to its limited box availability.

These are 100% re-rendered, 600 dpi color laser images transferred onto boxes made from high-density, 180 lb. semi-gloss card stock. They are Made in the U.S.A. and 100% "home-brewed" by yours truly.

There are only a few minor details that differ from the original box--the main one being an actual screenshot of game play on the back side--rather than the original artist's rendering of the level 1 screen. If I gather enough interest from the AA Colecovision community, I'll start taking names.

I hope everyone is having a very Colecovisionesque December so far.

Cheers to you all!

Greg

post-28334-0-66725600-1323112986_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-41090800-1323113103_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-71179600-1323113109_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-54163500-1323113116_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-45457500-1323113124_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-84688500-1323113126_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-98744300-1323113128_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would definately be interested for things like games that we do not have boxes for and things like that. I also have a couple of carts and it would be nice to box them up. Also it would be nice to have a box for the AtariMax SD cart.

What would be nice though is if you could put something on the box that would destinguish it as a reproduction otherwise I would be against this. Mainly because it would drive me nuts to look at an ebay listing and have to wonder and worry if it is one of your repro boxes or an actual box. If something would give it away as not being authintic that would be highly suggested so that you can tell from bad pictures ebayers usually give.

Remember not everyone is factual with their ebay descriptions and a lot are lazy and don't even change the descriptions game from game. I just saw a Lord of Dungeons Collectorvision being sold on ebay that describes it as a Classic Gaming limited release that they have owned for years and hate parting with.

So by definition I do not like your Donkey Kong above because I can't tell the difference from the original. Something that says Repo or something to distinguish it.

Edited by ColecoDan
  • Like 2

What would be nice though is if you could put something on the box that would destinguish it as a reproduction otherwise I would be against this.

Hi Dan,

It is a very good point that you make! I have read quite a few past postings by AAers that express this type of concern for replica artwork, carts and labels.

Although there is a very distinguishing print of an actual screenshot from DK gameplay (differing from the 1983-84 DK box), there will be two other clear demarcations-- 1) a greyscale watermark on the inside of the box and 2) a "TM" or "All Rights Reserved" disclaimer. Both of these demarcations will feature my production company, Phattyboombatty Productions.

Cheers!

Greg

The box looks great, and I would like to buy one. Do you have a price available yet?

Thanks.

:)

Still working on a uniform price that would include a low-cost, well-protected shipping. I'd like to go USPS. For the base price of the box, I'm just going to say it will likely be over $5.00 but less than $10.00 apiece. :)

What would be nice though is if you could put something on the box that would destinguish it as a reproduction otherwise I would be against this.

Hi Dan,

It is a very good point that you make! I have read quite a few past postings by AAers that express this type of concern for replica artwork, carts and labels.

Although there is a very distinguishing print of an actual screenshot from DK gameplay (differing from the 1983-84 DK box), there will be two other clear demarcations-- 1) a greyscale watermark on the inside of the box and 2) a "TM" or "All Rights Reserved" disclaimer. Both of these demarcations will feature my production company, Phattyboombatty Productions.

Cheers!

Greg

That sounds cool, I just wan't something that is easy to tell because I would have no problem buying something that had your replica box but I would want to be able to tell that is what I am buying instead of guessing. I would say it also wouldn't be the end of the world to create your own unique boxes either like in the past we talked about how cool it would be if the Donkey Kong box was purple to match the purple colecovision box that J-F had won.

I guess you need boxes that a lot of people would want to purchase in order to save on printing right? Would there be enough SD carts in existance to create a box for that?

Hi Dan,

Cheers!

Greg

That sounds cool, I just wan't something that is easy to tell because I would have no problem buying something that had your replica box but I would want to be able to tell that is what I am buying instead of guessing. I would say it also wouldn't be the end of the world to create your own unique boxes either like in the past we talked about how cool it would be if the Donkey Kong box was purple to match the purple colecovision box that J-F had won.

I guess you need boxes that a lot of people would want to purchase in order to save on printing right? Would there be enough SD carts in existance to create a box for that?

I definitely agree with the purple DK box idea, that way it's obvious that it's a replica/reproduction and it pays homage to the purple proto box. (Come to think of it, this was my idea! ;) )

Also, the box for the SD cart is an excellent idea, I would definitely buy one of those.

While the Prototype ColecoVision system box is purple , the early CV game boxes were indeed Blue .. not Purple

Actually Coleco did change the colors with the early Intv boxes (by Coleco obviously)

The early Intv boxes were gray, like the CV boxes we all know

The early CV boxes were blue like the Intv boxes we all know

Hope this make it clear :)

BTW: Did someone ever seen the Zaxxon prototype box?

That sounds cool, I just wan't something that is easy to tell because I would have no problem buying something that had your replica box but I would want to be able to tell that is what I am buying instead of guessing. I would say it also wouldn't be the end of the world to create your own unique boxes either like in the past we talked about how cool it would be if the Donkey Kong box was purple to match the purple colecovision box that J-F had won. I guess you need boxes that a lot of people would want to purchase in order to save on printing right? Would there be enough SD carts in existance to create a box for that?
I definitely agree with the purple DK box idea, that way it's obvious that it's a replica/reproduction and it pays homage to the purple proto box. (Come to think of it, this was my idea! ;) ) Also, the box for the SD cart is an excellent idea, I would definitely buy one of those.

These are fantastic ideas guys, thanks! I would be pleased to do a box for the SD cart, and I love the purple prototype box idea. I'll see what I can come up with. I'm sure there are enough SD carts in existence to warrant at least a handful of boxes for them.

I have planned, and will be producing custom boxes as well as sleeves to go over existing boxes to give certain boxes a classic "throwback" appearance. Right now, I'd like to kick-off my box productions with a single, authentic, true-to-likeness DK box. Varieties for other games will soon follow. One cool reason to have the classic DK throwback replica box is so that you can store your 1982 DK cart after Opcode's DK Arcade makes its debut!

Cheers,

Greg

Tremendous work Greg! Fortunately I have a pretty good condition DK box already, but that would not stop me from purchasing one of your repro boxes as well as any other boxes that you recreate and offer for sale down the road... we gotta support those that are willing to make the effort and investment of time and money after all.

I don't see what all the hype is over an AtariMax SD Cart box! :evil: My SD Cart never leaves the cart slot and the box would be awfully lonely. |:) All kidding aside, I would love to see an AtariMax USB and SD Cart box made and would buy both of them.

Depending on how far your are able and willing to take this project, all those TeleGames and Homebrew boxes that PixelBoy has showed off over the years would be great to have as well but then that would entail getting his permission as well as the graphic artist.

I know, getting a little too far ahead here... baby steps.

• Like 1

While the Prototype ColecoVision system box is purple , the early CV game boxes were indeed Blue .. not Purple

Actually Coleco did change the colors with the early Intv boxes (by Coleco obviously)

You are correct J-F, but remember our Brotherhood of the Purple Proto box PM where we talked about doing something cool in purple to match it and the DK box idea came up? ;)

You are correct J-F, but remember our Brotherhood of the Purple Proto box PM where we talked about doing something cool in purple to match it and the DK box idea came up? ;)

Sure I remember! ;)

But I think we should have a Blue ColecoVision DK box instead ... simply to match that Arnold Greenberg photo :D

• Like 1

Nice work !

If some of you are interested in cartridge sleeves (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/188917-colecoboxartcom-is-being-updated/), I have started to upload some here a while ago: http://www.colecobox...ision_repro.htm

I did one for DK with Coleco front on one side and the CBS one on the other side. Just print, fold & glue and that's it.

Edited by Crapahute
  • Like 1

All right, looks like we have enough interest to make a run of at least 25 DK boxes!

Seems like editing is broken today, so I'll move this post to the OP when editing comes back. For now, I'll start the list here.

Also, I'm adding a few new photos of a slightly improved box design... fixed a few tiny things (like the white in the center of the "D" in the DK logo). Also, note the "replica" statement on the backside of the box.

As much as I wanted to go lower, it looks like boxes are going to priced at right around $10.00. Shipping via first class mail is going to be somewhere around $2.00. I'll post an update when I'm ready to take payments and begin shipping.

1. purenergy

2. ColecoDan

3. cmart604

4. retroillucid

5. pboland?

6. NIAD

7. Jordiway

8. Jordiway

9. Rellik111

10. Rellik111

11. crapahute?

post-28334-0-30955400-1323208607_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-58743800-1323208609_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-91715100-1323208611_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-29778100-1323208614_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-43141300-1323208616_thumb.jpg

Is your box ink printed or is it laser printed ? If it is ink printed do you have a special printer and your doing it yourself? If the quality is as good as it looks in the pics and it is ink than Pixelboy and retroillucid need to enlist you to print homebrew boxes and reduce cost.

Is your box ink printed or is it laser printed ? If it is ink printed do you have a special printer and your doing it yourself? If the quality is as good as it looks in the pics and it is ink than Pixelboy and retroillucid need to enlist you to print homebrew boxes and reduce cost.

Wow, thanks for the high compliment, Yurkie! These boxes are created with a high quality laser printer, no inkjet stuff here! Check out all the info in the first post.

Also, I will add that these boxes are treated with a high quality UV-protective coating that protects your box against wear and sun damage!

Oh, and the most obvious thing I forgot to mention: These boxes DO have a sturdy insert within, and will hold your original DK cart and instructions snugly for years to come.

Cheers!

Greg

• Like 2

Ink is actually a lot better because you have to worry about toner flaking off on the folded edges with laser printed stuff. The box does look fanstatic though.

Does the UV coating prevent the toner from flaking off on the edges. Some colors flake a lot worse than others, gray flakes very little. The Mario Bros box and Ghost and Zombies boxes where laser printed in Toledo. The Mario flaked really bad on the edges and the GNZ didn't flake much. Part of the reason that homebrews are so expensive is box printing cost. Actually the set-up is the expensive part the price per box after set-up is rather low. 50 boxes might cost $875 but 1000 boxes only cost $1100 the problem is you can only sell 100 copies, so you have $10 just in the box cost by time you pay shipping.

If you where ink printing those boxes and you could do $7 or $8 a box, you could probably make a bundle printing homebrew boxes.

Ink is actually a lot better because you have to worry about toner flaking off on the folded edges with laser printed stuff.

Yurkie, I understand your concern, but I believe you are thinking of "crayon-based" toner media, like that which is used in older Tektronix Phaser printing... the first thing I said when I opened my Mario Bros. box was, "Ugh! They used a Tektronix Phaser!" And I totally agree with you about the "flakiness" (no pun intended) which was particularly evident on the cart label. Matter of fact, I was forced to tear off my Mario Bros. cart label when the PCB dislodged and became stuck up inside the cart body. I re-created the label like-for-like on high-quality HP LaserJet media. To this day, there is absolutely no flaking there. (By the way, let me know if you need another label for that title)!

I've been working with high quality laser media for quite some years, and the HP LaserJet toner exhibits absolutely no flaky toner. And to answer your question... if there were any flaking going on, the answer is YES. My UV-protective coating would thwart that 100%.