IGNORED

U-235 SoundEngine released!

LinkoVitch

Finally here :) This is a Beta release, there are things that I am not 100% happy with, but then I am apparently never happy with my code :D

So, want a full featured, supported, DSP Sound Engine for your project? for free ?

Check it out http://www.u-235.co.uk/se/index.php

Feedback and bug reports welcome, I have a list of things to do on this as long as my arm already so keep checking back for new updates and releases.

Big huge thanks to the other guys of U-235 and also to the chaps of Reboot and Jagware, excellent help, ideas and hints throughout as well as some top laughs! Cheers guys.

• Like 21

Don't let linko's modesty undermine his achievements here - he wrote this tracker/sfx player from scratch, absolute ground up and figured out loads of stuff for himself so that he had a real understanding of how it all worked at every level - MEDAL GET!

I watched (well, listened) as it grew from the very basics to this first release and I was totally impressed with the way he went about it and the way he decided to release it.

</luvviemode>

• Like 6

Version 0.15 now released with some changes and improvements.

Now with selectable playback frequencies of 8,12,16,24 or 32 kHz!

PLEASE NOTE! Higher frequencies are more sensative to bus latency and will sound wrong if the main bus is being utilized by higher priority CPUs, this is a known bug that I am working to address.

Enjoy

• Like 7

I'm sure 8 & 12 will get plenty of use when it comes to squeezing more out of everything else ;-)

In hindsight I shouldn't have done 8 and 12 :D It sounds like utter arse :)

Like I've said before you're always striving for perfection! A great achievement nonetheless & a great asset for the devs out there to utilise! Clever fecker! :D

• Like 5

10 points to the person who can find the obvious bug in release 0.15 first :D

It's nothing major, so don't worry it's not like it's going to eat your face :D

I have fixed this already but will hold on releasing update until I have fixed all the new bugs I have crafted into the build at the mo :)

• Like 1

I not sure if you mentioned this or not, but are there plans on incorporating CD music capabilities? Playing/streaming cd music and using sfx at the same time seems to have disappeared from the jaguar.

Just curious! Keep up the great work!

Its on the list of things to do :) Of course there are lots on the list of things to do, but yes ideally I do plan to include CD Audio support.

Cheers

• Like 1

My skunkboard is on the way at the moment and while I'm not going to get a chance to use this for sometime, just wanted to say a big thanks for releasing this to everyone.

Thankyou! hope you find it useful.. careful with that skunk! before you know it your life is gone in a world of code and green screens :D

• Like 2

I am making some significant changes to the SoundEngine interface, these should make for more intuitive API calls without you having to do any linkomaths before playing a sample! (I am porting the LinkoMaths into the RISC code).

What will this mean?

The dropping of the periodXX lookup tables,

The removal of some internal hackery,

More accurate module pitch bends and slides,

Removing the dependancy of mod parsing code on specific SE commands

The removal of those SE commands completely

Being able to simply specify a sample frequency to play at to the API and it doing the hard work for you!

The future? These are just ideas I have that this change will potentially make possible, how feasible they are I won't know right now, but

The ability to switch to a new playback rate whilst the engine is running without (hopefully) any/much distortion to active audio

Dynamic adaptive playback adjustments! (this one is likely a way off and possibly a pipe dream, but I think possible...)

Once I have completed this chunk of work I should hopefully be able to complete more of the missing mod parser effects. 2012 is going to be busy :D

• Like 3