I recently saw that an AA seller has listed a Sega Nomad here. This has sparked my curiosity. Does anyone have any particular memories about this handheld?

Might as well plug the posting (not mine) while I'm at it: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/191168-for-sale-sega-nomad-system-16-games-power-controller-case/page__fromsearch__1

So the definition is lousy? Funny, I would expect the opposite with the reduced screen size.

It looks pretty good for static images, but motion blur is its weakness. Naturally brightness and contrast don't hold up to today's standards, but for the time Nomad's was the best screen.

Otherwise, great sound (mono unless headphones are used), and great controls--especially the d-pad.

I'm on a bit of a nomad kick right now myself. I recently ordered a screen & lens to redo my 'backup' nomad's broken screen. Until then, I'm enjoying the stock screen on my other one. I'm keeping the AA holder though. I get significantly better performance out of NIMH AA cells (individually peak charged) than I've seen in lithium mod tutorials. it is heavy though.

Edited by Reaperman

The Nomad is perfect for RPGs, excellent for driving games, very good for puzzle games, pretty good for fighting games, OK for platformers, unworkable for shmups. And yeah, the sound is terrific, with clean highs and deep bass. The fluorescent backlight induces a certain amount of noise, but the headphone output is very loud so if your headphones take a lot of juice to drive, it's the perfect choice.

I frequently use mine to play RPGs while also watching TV with my girlfriend. I think I beat Mortal Kombat on the Nomad. The Road Rash series arguably looks better on the Nomad than it does on the big screen, and IIRC Hard Drivin' also looked better that way.

One exception to the rule about shmups, BTW: Space Harrier II actually looks very good on the Nomad. Generally speaking, anything with scaling, first-person graphics is flattered by the Nomad's motion blur, so it wouldn't surprise me if Panorama Cotton, Burning Force, and other similar games worked well too.

I've only used two units, but they have both been unreliable, as in the game will suddenly freeze. I suspect a loose power jack. Vertical is not a good position for it. They should have used a right-angle plug.

The thing EATS batteries. Also, FYI, you can't use NiMH batteries with it, because 6 of them don't have the voltage you need, so they will only last half an hour. The official rechargeable battery pack uses NiMH batteries, but it uses 7 of them.

If you find one that seems to have a broken screen, it is probably just the plastic screen cover. There were apparently a lot of NOS replacements out there or someone had them made; I bought a ten pack from some guy on ebay a few years back because I found one with it broken.

Also, FYI, you can't use NiMH batteries with it, because 6 of them don't have the voltage you need, so they will only last half an hour. The official rechargeable battery pack uses NiMH batteries, but it uses 7 of them.

This is incorrect. 6 standard 1.2v NIMH cells work for quite some time, and the official battery pack uses 6 cells (link)

Edited by Reaperman

I loved the Nomad when it came out. Over the years, I've come to enjoy other hand helds as well, or better (ie, GB Advance SP). The screen is OK. I also agree that most shooters are better on the big screen, especially since there's no repeat fire on the handheld (unless built in to the game cart). Rechargeable NiMh batteries work fine. These days, though, I do tend to use the Retrogen instead because of the better screen.