IGNORED

Modded Model 1 & 2 Sega Genesis Consoles - $15/$20 Each Plus Shipping

nebrazca78

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of lightly modded Sega Genesis consoles for sale. The first is a Model 1 which has had the cartridge slot enlarged slightly to accommodate Japanese Mega Drive games. It has been done carefully and looks decent compared to the hack jobs you see out there. With this slight modification the Genesis can play any Mega Drive game that doesn't have a lockout (including PAL) plus of course all Genesis games. I don't know of a complete list of games with lockouts but I would estimate that at least 75% of Mega Drive games do not have lockouts. It comes with the console only, $15 plus shipping.

The second is a Model 2 Genesis which has also had the cartridge slot enlarged (not as cleanly done as the Model 1) and a Japanese / U.S. language switch installed. In addition to Genesis and unlocked PAL games, with these modifications this unit can play all Japanese Mega Drive releases including games with a lockout. Everything works great except the AC jack which is a little touchy, but once you get the plug in the right place it works without issue. This one is also the console only, $20 plus shipping.

I can also combine shipping with any eBay auctions I am currently selling, the link for those is in my signature below.

imgp8284.jpg

imgp8292.jpg

imgp8295.jpg

Edited by nebrazca78

You need to buy a Dremel or some other handheld rotary tool as it will make your work look ALOT better. Taking apart the console and washing the housing would help too cause everyone prefers a clean console vs a dirty one. Small 72dpi pictures should be replaced with close up higher rez pics of the area modified when possible too. A little extra TLC goes a long way to make quicker sales :) I did a quick zoom on the mod with GIMP to show off your work with a little more detail to potential buyers and with this picture I'm sure you can see what I mean about cleaning the machine and using proper tools for the job. Hope my 2cents makes you a few bucks ;)

imgp8292.jpg

• Like 2

VERY Well put, Shawn!

What I did, was use a Dremel at very low speed, with a fine sanding drum... I have some 3 different sizes, and found one that Perfectly matched the contour of Mega Drive carts...Then after, a little careful buffing with very fine emery paper, say 800 grit. Then yea, A thorough cleaning. For my black consoles especially, I just use plain old Old English furniture polish after the cleaning.

Brillianize is also a good product for cleaning/shining older consoles/computers... but I feel it's better for say Commodore 8-bits...or other beige/brown systems...

Drat, just realised I don't even have a language switch in my Genny yet... Well, suppose while I have it open, I may as well replace the power LED with something more interesting....

:)

Edited by marcfrick2112

You need to buy a Dremel or some other handheld rotary tool as it will make your work look ALOT better. Taking apart the console and washing the housing would help too cause everyone prefers a clean console vs a dirty one. Small 72dpi pictures should be replaced with close up higher rez pics of the area modified when possible too. A little extra TLC goes a long way to make quicker sales :) I did a quick zoom on the mod with GIMP to show off your work with a little more detail to potential buyers and with this picture I'm sure you can see what I mean about cleaning the machine and using proper tools for the job. Hope my 2cents makes you a few bucks ;)

imgp8292.jpg

That's cool but I didn't do the mods on the Model 2, it was like that when I bought it. Now I have a Japanese Model 2 so I don't use the one with the language switch any more. One of the Model 1s has sold but I have a few more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's cool but I didn't do the mods on the Model 2, it was like that when I bought it. Now I have a Japanese Model 2 so I don't use the one with the language switch any more. One of the Model 1s has sold but I have a few more.

No offense but the model 1 is pretty close to being just as bad as the model 2. Your best bet is to buy some proper tools and get some practice on scrap plastic especially if your doing this to multiple consoles like you mentioned.

No offense but the model 1 is pretty close to being just as bad as the model 2. Your best bet is to buy some proper tools and get some practice on scrap plastic especially if your doing this to multiple consoles like you mentioned.

I can't say I agree with you on that. The Model 2 has an overly enlarged, ragged, uneven hole with plastic removed unnecessarily while the Model 1 has just the tabs removed and the slot enlarged slightly. It's not perfect but IMO the job I did on the Model 1 is far better than what someone else did on the Model 2.

You guys have given me some great information but I'm not investing in a Dremel simply because this is a one-time thing. I have some extra Genesis consoles, especially Model 1s, and once they're sold I won't be "modding" any more.