IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

The files with .cu in the filename are for the Harmony cart. The higher the version number (currently 88), the newer the file.

Also sometimes experimental ROMs (mines) are there, for details about those you should read the posts at the end of the thread.

OK Scott, time for me to (Happily) east some crow. :-D I received my copy of Star Castle this week and ran down into the basement to hook up my 2600 like a kid on Christmas Day. Since I have not played with the console in ages, it took be forever to remember which combination of dip switches and cables went to the 2600 (I have 12 different consoles hooked up to a single old CRT for the classic games). Once I got the 2600 working, I put my video camera up on its tripod, hit record and started getting my ass kicked by your creation. You can view the video here. As everyone before me has said, EXCELLENT JOB SIR! Well worth the wait. Thank you once again for the opportunity to own such an original homebrew cartridge. This game has gone in my "special" 2600 storage folder along with my copies of Gamma Attack and Swordquest Waterworld. It will NEVER be sold.

• Like 1

OK Scott, time for me to (Happily) east some crow. :-D I received my copy of Star Castle this week and ran down into the basement to hook up my 2600 like a kid on Christmas Day. Since I have not played with the console in ages, it took be forever to remember which combination of dip switches and cables went to the 2600 (I have 12 different consoles hooked up to a single old CRT for the classic games). Once I got the 2600 working, I put my video camera up on its tripod, hit record and started getting my ass kicked by your creation. You can view the video here. As everyone before me has said, EXCELLENT JOB SIR! Well worth the wait. Thank you once again for the opportunity to own such an original homebrew cartridge. This game has gone in my "special" 2600 storage folder along with my copies of Gamma Attack and Swordquest Waterworld. It will NEVER be sold.

Where are you guys buying this Star Castle game now?

Just came across this thread the other day. I got my Star Castle pretty early on, somewhere along the first shipment. I ordered it in the box and manual, and have it stashed away right now. Maybe I should print out a copy of the Kickstarter page with my selection highlighted as a makeshift "certificate of authenticity". :P

Where are you guys buying this Star Castle game now?

He isn't, he was part of the Kickstarter, but he was one of the last mailouts.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

All Star Castle 2600 materials are now free to download here:

http://starcastle2600.blogspot.com/p/star-castle-2600-story.html

CD iso or zip containing ROMs, source, box art, manual, pictures, videos, etc.

Smaller individual files containing ROMs and Stella pre-configured for each platform.

...and of course the Stella source is also available for download there as required by its license.

~ enjoy

• Like 8

Smaller individual files containing ROMs and Stella pre-configured for each platform.

...and of course the Stella source is also available for download there as required by its license.

~ enjoy

Thanks, I appreciate this. I am downloading the ISO right now. I've always wanted to load this on my Harmony to compare notes between the two releases. Thank you! :grin:

PS- Pity the LEDs don't work... :P

~ enjoy

Is this the version that someone tried to sell for hundreds of dollars?

Edit: Nevermind, just reread parts of this thread. Looking forward to playing it, after waiting 4 years. Any plans of mass release?

Edited by Zoyx

Is this the version that someone tried to sell for hundreds of dollars?

Edit: Nevermind, just reread parts of this thread. Looking forward to playing it, after waiting 4 years. Any plans of mass release?

More like $30,000 for the proto. I'm glad this finally got released since I missed the KS for this game. I was just getting into Atari collecting shortly after the KS closed. :sad:

I have a copy for sale. Brand new, and has never even been inserted into a console. It's the transluscent cart that lights up according to the gameplay. If anybody's interested, just send me a PM.

Interested, but only willing to pay $50... which I suspect is below what you want.

I forgot to add that there's no box or manual. Just the cart, plus the CD-ROM with all of the digital materials. These would be the ones that were posted up for free eventually by the KSC starter. It is a professionally pressed CD though.

Edit:

The cart is currently on hold/possibly sold status. Thanks to all who responded. :)

Edited by MadZiontist
  • Like 1

I forgot to add that there's no box or manual. Just the cart, plus the CD-ROM with all of the digital materials. These would be the ones that were posted up for free eventually by the KSC starter. It is a professionally pressed CD though.

Edit:

The cart is currently on hold/possibly sold status. Thanks to all who responded. :)

That was quick. Too bad I slept in today... :P

More like $30,000 for the proto. I'm glad this finally got released since I missed the KS for this game. I was just getting into Atari collecting shortly after the KS closed. :sad:

$32,768 to be exact.

The original prototype, serial number 001, is still available at that price if anybody is interested ;)

• Like 1

I wonder if they are asking for $65536 for the "StarCastle Arcade" proto, since it is twice as good as your attempt. ;)

Simmer down. The high price is only for the original prototype. Copies after that were more reasonably priced. Don't be gettin' silly.

• Like 1