IGNORED

32-bit version of the 6502 coming?

Allan

I just read on a couple of commodore 64 sites that somebody has developed a 32-bit version of the 6502. It was done I guess to make a better 32-bit c64 but I'm sure you could use it to make a 32-bit 6502 compatible Atari 800/XE/XL. I was trying to find out more about it but was unsuccessful. Does anybody know any more about this?

Allan

I just read on a couple of commodore 64 sites that somebody has developed a 32-bit version of the 6502. It was done I guess to make a better 32-bit c64 but I'm sure you could use it to make a 32-bit 6502 compatible Atari 800/XE/XL. I was trying to find out more about it but was unsuccessful. Does anybody know any more about this?

Allan

Yes it's a chip made in a PLGA and emulates with hardware a 6502. I think it's just a little more advanced version of the 65c816. I am building an upgrade which uses the 65c816 and that's enough for me.

Would you program special software that makes use of this 32-bit?

TXG/MNX

Tell me more about this 65c816 upgrade. I remember reading a little about it back in the early nineties, I think, IIRC, Gadgets by Small or CSS(?-released the blackbox hard-drive interface and multiplexers and such for 8-bits) was releasing an upgrade. I contacted Gadgets by Small and CSS(?) way back then, several times, inquiring about this upgrade, but I never got a reply of any sort. I'd like to do this upgrade myself. Also, was any software of any kind ever made to take advantage of the 65c816 upgrade for the 8-bit? Graphics applications or anything?

Tell me more about this 65c816 upgrade. I remember reading a little about it back in the early nineties, I think, IIRC, Gadgets by Small or CSS(?-released the blackbox hard-drive interface and multiplexers and such for 8-bits) was releasing an upgrade. I contacted Gadgets by Small and CSS(?) way back then, several times, inquiring about this upgrade, but I never got a reply of any sort. I'd like to do this upgrade myself. Also, was any software of any kind ever made to take advantage of the 65c816 upgrade for the 8-bit? Graphics applications or anything?

The reason I made the post was that I didn't know anything else about it and whant to know more. It is not a 65c816 16-bit processor but a 32-bit version of it. I also don't know if it's 65c816 compatible as well as 6502 compatible.

Here's where I found it. That's all I know.

http://cbm.videocam.net.au/

By the way not Dave's son but Dave himself has posted on this board.

Allan

The 65c816 will be a full replacement of the original cpu. But there's a switch to switch between old and new cpu.

Secondly the system will allow you to use 16Mb of memory. We have not decided yet what kind of memory. I prefer SRAM but's expensive. The other thing is the speed switching. The system can run a higher clock-speed when working with RAM or above the first 64Kb, but will switch back when any low-speed device/chip like black-box, antic/pokey and others need to use the databus.

This last part is already designed a little bit but needs some testing and then making it into some programmable logic.

The main goal here is to make a system that's 100% backwards compatible...

I will post updates on this forum when I have some. I do all this in my spare time so that's why it's progressing slowly at the moment but it will be finished....