IGNORED

I've been playing Odyssey2 lately

Ransom

I got it in the spring (with The Voice), and never had time to really play it until now. It's not a bad system! I really like Attack of the Timelord -- it's pretty addictive, actually. And even many of the minor ones are playable, such as Showdown in 2100 AD. I must say I'm not a fan of Freedom Fighters so far, though.

My impression so far, based on what I played today:

Alien Invaders - Plus! -- Initially I was put off by the difficulty of the game, but once you get into it, it's a pretty good Space Invaders type game. I give it a B.

Alpine Skiing! -- Surprisingly fun implementation of skiing (something it seems every system had to have, back in the day). A solid C.

Blockout!/Breakdown! -- Like Alien Invaders - Plus!, it's a unique twist on a well-known game. Still, I'm not a fan of paddle games played without a paddle. I give it a C-.

Showdown in 2100AD! - As I said, it's just fine. It's as playable as any of the other gunfight games from back then. I like the computer opponent and the fact that you can just watch the computer play itself. I give it a C.

Attack of the Timelord! - A very, very good game. It's like the initial stage of Galaga, but the aliens never line up. Plus you have the bombs that move along the bottom a ways after landing, adding to the tenseness of the game. I give it an A.

Freedom Fighters! - Meh. So far it seems like a poor implementation of a good idea. I'll have to give it some more time, though. So far, I give it a D.

I'm looking forward to trying out K.C. Munchkin, Pick Axe Pete, Robot City, Smithereens, and the others I have.

I'm looking forward to trying out K.C. Munchkin, Pick Axe Pete, Robot City, Smithereens, and the others I have.

I just won an auction for one. I'm looking forward to have one again! I sold mine back in April for less than what I expected. I enjoyed both K.C. Munchkin and Pick Axe Pete. I also have a CIB Quest For The Rings. Now that is an interesting multiplayer game. I play it a few times with the kids and I "DM'ed" the games. It's different for sure but I bet it would be the suck solo.

B

I just won an auction for one. I'm looking forward to have one again! I sold mine back in April for less than what I expected. I enjoyed both K.C. Munchkin and Pick Axe Pete. I also have a CIB Quest For The Rings. Now that is an interesting multiplayer game. I play it a few times with the kids and I "DM'ed" the games. It's different for sure but I bet it would be the suck solo.

B

Congratulations on your auction win! They do seem to go for very little these days. That's part of the reason my expectations were low for the games.

I have Quest for the Rings CIB as well as Great Wall Street Fortune Hunt (but it's missing a few pieces). I haven't played either of them, though. My wife's not much for those kinds of games, unfortunately, and I think you're right that they wouldn't be very good played solo.

More games I've played recently:

Cosmic Conflict!: Not terribly interesting as compared to Star Raiders, etc. But still a fun shooter. Grade: C

Invaders from Hyperspace!: I like the game mechanics of this one, but it's going to take me some time to really get the hang of it. The average life of one of my ships is a few seconds. Grade: C+

Take the Money and Run!: The idea is interesting, but at least as a one-player game, it's not very good. With two players it would probably be a lot better. So I won't grade this one yet.

War of Nerves!: I like this one a lot! Again, two players would be far more interesting. But even as a one player game, it's a B-.

K. C. Munchkin!: This one is really cool, as advertised. A very nice twist on the maze chase game. I give it an A.

I just got my 233-1 multi-cart for the odyssey 2 today!! It`s Top notch....

Wow, that's great! But, yeah, I'm surprised there are that many programs for it (including protos, home brews, etc.).

Here check out the website, you can find out all about it. A great price also! classicgamecreations.com

Oh yeah, cool. I couldn't find that. When it first came out someone was selling it for over $200, I found threads about it.

I'm going to pick up one of those then. I mean, why the heck not. It'll double the value of my fairly large CIB O2 collection :lol: I'm all about multicarts and flash carts in 2012.

What surprised me the most about the Odyssey after having not played one for almost 30 years, was how razor sharp and crystal clear the RF output hookup was. Really saturated colors and deep blacks without the static fuzz and wavy interference I'm used to from Colecovision RF output. You don't even need composite video output for O2. For CV it's a must. They must've used really low quality parts in the RF output box in the CV. The Bally Astrocade also has sharp RF output. I remember loving Freedom Fighters as a kid. It was like a kiddie version of Defender I could actually handle. The KC Munchkin games are great. I wish they had that 'build your own maze' feature that KC has, in other maze games. I wish that O2 multicart was out when I had my system. I never got to try any of those Imagic or Parker Brothers games. They looked pretty good.

Excellent point. I've had good RF output with two different O2s, two different Intellivisions, and two different 5200s (2-port model). So I expect those had pretty good RF equipment in general. Thank goodness Yurkie mods CVs or I'd be in trouble. :)

It's always nice to see the O2 get a little respect. :) My personal favorites are Pick Axe Pete, Attack of the Timelord, Turtles, UFO, K.C.'s Krazy Chase and Robot City. As others said, Quest for the Rings is a wonderful two-player game but nearly unplayable single player. The homebrew game Mr. Roboto is very good, kind of an O2 take on Archon. Revival Studios just released a twitch game called AstroDodge and has a brand new one called Mayhem that I am looking forward to.

I agree with the earlier point that the O2 has a strong RF signal, but it is easy to mod for composite video. I had cause to test both a modded and a non-modded console together a couple weeks ago, and it was like night and day.

Another fairly easy mod is making the console use standard joysticks. Genesis pads make the games much easier to control IMO.

Play Thunderball!

I never could figure that one out. It just seemed to be impossibly difficult. What am I missing?

OTOH, I have Turtles and Killer Bees on their way to me. Woo hoo! Those are two games I've been wanting for a long time.