IGNORED

Pictures of my custom modified 2600 console!

Rob Mitchell

Here are some pics of my custom 2600 console.

Atari3.jpg

This shows the two controller jacks in front in the woodgrain. They once were for a Tank Tread Control circuit for Battlezone and Robot Tank.

On the top deck are five pushbuttons for LRHTF control: Gravitar, Thrust and Asteroids are great with this setup.

To the left of the power switch is a momentary off pushbutton for quickly resetting the Cuttle Cart.

Atari2.jpg

Atari1.jpg

These two pics show the various outputs and switches on back: Left To Right: RF2/3 out, Stereo / Mono switch, Right Audio Out, Left Audio Out, next is Lumina and Chroma out, Composite Video Switch, and finally is a switch for Autofire on the left controller port.

Starplex.jpg

Also here are two different Starplex LRHTF controllers that I own. I can connect them to the Atari or to the Vectrex via a special circuit. Awesome!

(LRHTF stands for Left Right Hyperspace Thrust and Fire).

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

This looks awesome, Rob!

I wish I knew something about Electronics..I have a spare 2600 or 2 lying around here that I could modify if I knew how. Hmm. I figure since no one has shown interest in my spares, I do have a 2600jr that I'm not sure if it works or not. If it worked, I'd find a way to modify it to accept A/V and possibly some other goodies. I dunno.

@Rob:

This is the console of a master, no less. Your highly customized VCS and controllers shows that we shouldn't be conformists and find new ways to materialize our "crazy" but practical ideas into reality.

A couple of years ago I monkeyed around with a glove controller for the 2600, it looked weird but hey it worked! and in the end that's what counts, anyway this is another level of skill I'm seeing here. Keep it going.

Thanks for the complements .. actually it was a WIP .. and I started in 1998 when began looking for Atari stuff on the web ..

Circuits: CD4050 lumina/chroma (s-video) mod, stereo mod, autofire and tank tread control (now removed).

Before I had the two Starplex controllers, I asked a friend to make a 5 button, stainless steel plate for the top deck of the 2600. That was added this past summer.

Also the two front ports were rewired directly to the respective controller ports and the tank tread control circuit was removed.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I've done most of those hacks, but I made the tank and button controllers seperate - I wanted to be able to use them with any system. Here's some pics of mine:

hack1.jpg

4-switcher with A/V and stereo output (switch is for either stereo or mono)

hack2.jpg

JR with A/V (switch is for signal boost)

hack3.jpg

dual joystick tank controller (still useful if Jentzsch's Battlezone and Robotank hacks aren't handy :)

hack4.jpg

button controller (great for doing certain game tricks). There used to be a similar one (not the Starplex one) advertised in the old game mags, but I could never find one.

I have a couple other controller mods - NES controller for Omega Race, another for Ms. Pac-Man/Kangaroo screen warping, modded Track & Field (with full-speed option), and a standard Atari joystick which has served as a test controller for all of these and more (it's pretty ugly). I also used to have a joystick with a VTP fastened to it ala a 5200 controller.

Great pics .. Is your video out composite?  The TIA in the Jr is soldered in place .. so mono sound only?

What does that signal boost switch do?

Video out is composite on both. I didn't hack with the JR - already did it with the 4-switch, so no need to. Besides, there's only a handful of games that really sound good in stereo. I did the stereo mod by tapping off the pcb traces, so it doesn't matter if the TIA is soldered or not.

The signal boost isn't really much of a boost- all it does is remove the power from the RF circuit section (which does sig. affect the picture).