IGNORED

Do you like any 2600 ports better than the arcade original?

Scrabbler15

for me it's a near- categorical 'yes,' as by and large, I prefer the 2600 to the arcade game almost all the time.

arcade games were and are designed to get quarters, and I enjoy their gameplay stripped of that impetus, which

the 2600 excels at imho.

some of my faves are reactor, tapper, pretty much all the later era atari stuff (stargate, crystal castles, etc,) solar fox, and so many others.

• Like 1

Wow. This discussion feels like "coming out of the closet" - you know like if you're gay or lezzie and people are finding out about it.

There are so many home adaptations I prefer over the arcade editions it's just ridiculous and too numerous to mention here. In fact, one of the reasons I went to the arcades in the first place was to see the pretty colors and light show of the better graphics. As far as gameplay goes, I like the Childens versions featured on a lot of the 2600 games. Even today. I also like the idea that home games let you save and comeback later, or allow unlimited resets to help you in learning to get past a difficult spot.

Otherwise, arcade games are evil moneysuckers.

As I've said in another thread, I like the 2600 version of Night Driver better than the arcade. The 2600 version actually has a car but the arcade has a sticker on the screen. Plus it's in color.

The graphics for Space Invaders may be better in the arcade version, but I really like the controls on the 2600 version better. Same with Asteroids. Using buttons to control the ship is rather meh. Other than that I can't think of anything else from the 2600 that I like better than the arcade.

The graphics for Space Invaders may be better in the arcade version, but I really like the controls on the 2600 version better. Same with Asteroids. Using buttons to control the ship is rather meh.

While Asteroids used buttons it's probably worth noting the Space Invaders arcade game that most of the world knew, was joystick controlled (dedicated 2-way joystick).

In the US however, Midway's licensed version used buttons. Go figure.

I did not have an arcade I could get to often back in the day, so often, it was atari 2600 or nothing. However, there was a pizza joint within walking distance that did have a few machines, so off of the top of my head...

Space Invaders. I thought it was cool being in color and I liked the design of the aliens better.

Berserk. I missed the voices, but I thought the 2600 version was more approachable.

Asteroids. I preferred the color version back then. Now appreciate the vector graphics more. I think the 2600 version should be called ice cream or sherbet shoot. Still like the 2600 version though.

I liked the 2600 version of Asteroids but that is because of all the multiple settings means that there is a setting where the game could present me with a challenge but not so much of a challenge that i would get discouraged. The arcade version of Asteroids i was never good at it.

this one will shock everyone Kung Fu Master. I know I'm sick lol

Even if I don't hold the opinions myself, I guess I can understand the arguments about additional play options, more forgiving difficulty levels, simpler control schemes, etc. that are in favor of the VCS versions of certain games for some people.

But Kung Fu Master? Seriously? Would you mind sharing what it is about the 2600 version that you like better? I'm sorry, but this almost seems as strange to me as somebody calling Madonna's version of American Pie better than the original.

I think some Atari 2600 arcade ports are too easy, and make the game repetitive and boring, even on higher difficulty settings. I always prefer the arcade version because I know 90% of the time it will be harder than the Atari 2600 version. I like the difficulty, especially when it's a game that just requires you to shoot up.

I play modern games as well, and the problem with Atari videogames is that they're too simple. That's FINE, as long as difficulty is high enough for me to be excited about. It isn't in alot of ports imo. Berzerk, Mouse Trap, all are too repetitive for me. But I'm weird here, I dismiss 98% of Atari videogames as awful, but love the 2% that I feel exceeded the trap of time.

I play modern games as well, and the problem with Atari videogames is that they're too simple.

Some modern gamers can do things that are mind-bendingly difficult. They'll play on the hardest setting and zip through it like a ninja covered in butter. But put E.T. in front of them and they'll start crying and stomping their feet. A simple Atari video game kicks their asses every time.

• Like 1

Ok... I'll bite..

I like better or as much as the arcade original

Better

Battlezone (uhhh I mean Robot Tank)

Breakout

Circus Atari

Combat

Defender (uhhh I mean Choplifter)

Gravitar

Indy 500

Juno First (uhh I mean BeamRider)